The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well, I do the exact same thing at the high school level. I am often working with two people that I do not work with on a regular basis. The reason I might continue to work is that I am a good partner and I do not go around assuming I have to call the game for my partners. It is one thing to call something in a dual area, but not in someone's area where they clearly have a look at a play. If someone makes a call like this and the video does not back them up, they might not work the kind of games they wish. I have worked for many assignors some pretty big games and one of the reasons that keep happening is because I am able to take care of my business and my partners are working those games for the very same reason.

Sorry but in this example, the official called something way out of his area and his partner that was on top of the player felt the call was not warranted. Guess what that official might say if asked about that play to a supervisor if asked? He might not directly throw his partner under the bus, but he might just stay what he saw. That is how you get into trouble. And a good supervisor will not only ask, but see the video if that is brought to their attention.

Guess who also asks around about particular officials? You guessed it, fellow officials get asked often about what they think of partners or might be a clinician at a camp and also give reasons for why this person should be hired or moved up. Things like this just at camp might tell me you are not ready to work a certain level. And I do not assign anything, but my opinion is often requested by those that do.

Peace
I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. You obviously know quite a bit about officiating. I guess the point I'm making is, and I"m not being clear, is that I'm not reaching out of my PCA unless I know 100% what I saw. No doubt whatsoever. I don't think any of you guys are reaching either unless you are 100% correct. Sounds like some of you will never reach.

For me it's the 0.1% of the time that this can happen. I believe in crew savers from time to time. We all get blocked out from time to time or just don't see something for whatever reason. If somebody is 100% right and makes a call in my area, I'm fine with it. I will do the same and hope they are fine with it as I know I only did it because I am 100% right. Any doubt in my mind and I'm not doing it.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:00pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
If you are going to call into my my area there had better be some conditions:

1) THere better be a lot going on and you legitimately believe I was screened out or missed something.

2) It had better not be on the player/players I am very clearly watching and making decisions about.

3) You had better be getting something dirty/excessive if its a foul anything marginal is not worth you coming into my area on stuff we can no call.

If you don' t have 2 of those conditions met we are probably going to talk about why you assumed my judgement wasn't as valid as yours.
Lighten up Francis!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I lurk around here and was reading this thread yesterday; then in the evening happened to be at this game: https://www.byutv.org/player/0e143c0...d-vs-byu-11019
There's an on-point play at the 35:10 or so mark in the video (8:20 or so left in the game). (Sorry no idea how to embed a with time link to that site).
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Good example of C coming from a long way with a late whistle, although he sold it strongly. Commentators discuss the fact that official farthest away made the call.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see the foul here. I think he called it before the shot, but I did not even see that as a foul.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Tough to see, but it is there....knee to knee as the shooter was going up, putting the shooter off balance for the shot. From most of the angles, you just can't see it so it would be easy to miss.

It was right in line with where the C should be looking. Maybe not enough to go get but I'd argue that it had a clear impact on the shot.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

I believe that is a former NBA official making that call. Defender walks into the shooter's right elbow as he is elevating. Center is the only official with an open look to that contact. I work for an NBA official, this is a play he would expect one of his vets to come get, especially when a road team is getting waxed by 18 points. He doesn't have that same expectation for a less-seasoned official.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 11, 2019 at 02:04pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Good example of C coming from a long way with a late whistle, although he sold it strongly. Commentators discuss the fact that official farthest away made the call.
Actually, at least one of the announcers discussed the fact that the official furthest away made the call.

Another time to announcer was incorrect.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Actually, at least one of the announcers discussed the fact that the official furthest away made the call.

You can't be the grammar police while making typos.

Sometimes an official farthest from the play has the best look.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 11, 2019 at 02:42pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

What is the purpose of this post? It can't be in relation to the usage of "farthest "versus "furthest". "Farthest" is correct. It just can't be, not from someone who included a typo like "..time to announcer.."
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You can't be the grammar police while making typos.

Sometimes an official farthest from the play has the best look.
1. Shore eye Ken.

2. Petard. Hoist.

3. "Farthest" is correct. The announcer said, "Furthest."

4. Back to the original post (in the original thread, if this isn't it). Everyone agrees that sometimes an official should call out of his PCA. And, everyone agrees that sometimes an official should not call out of his PCA. Deciding when to do so is part of the art of officiating. And, the "when" varies by level, experience, and even play-to-play.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2019, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Raymond and Camron, I just don't see it. look at the replays, third one...They call me cyclops for a reason but I just don't have anything. To the general public...Do NOT come across the floor for this...

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Jan 11, 2019 at 05:32pm. Reason: spelled Camron's name wrong...or maybe he spells it wrong...:)
Old Sat Jan 12, 2019, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Raymond and Camron, I just don't see it. look at the replays, third one...They call me cyclops for a reason but I just don't have anything. To the general public...Do NOT come across the floor for this...
Look at time 56 and you'll see the defenders left knee/leg come into the shooter's forward leg and knock it at a weird angle as the shooter jumps.

Maybe not enough to go get, but it wasn't wrong.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2019, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Look at time 56 and you'll see the defenders left knee/leg come into the shooter's forward leg and knock it at a weird angle as the shooter jumps.

I do not see that either. We are talking about a knee that might have made contact? Sorry, that is not a foul and I am not calling that a foul from there. It is not a foul to simply touch. The dribbler tried to go somewhere and a defender is in his face. That is a bad shot and I am not calling a foul just to find something that is clearly not obvious to everyone. If you have to look at it again and again and again just to determine if there is some contact.

There was more contact on a play that I did not call a foul on this week in a college game and the angle was horrible. I might post the video and I still feel that is not a foul. This is with multiple angles and less contested.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 12, 2019, 09:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

I have the defender walking into shooter's right elbow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk