The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

7th girls, AAU, two whistle (obviously)
I'm lead, partner is trail, still at about the opposite free throw line on his way down. A1 shoots from baseline on opposite side of hoop from me. B1 swipes and gets the ball, I judge it to be a good, if awkward, block. Partner, from the backcourt, blows his whistle and calls a foul on the play.
B coach obviously grumpy about it, ends his complaints by asking partner to at least hustle to get into position. I let it go, but there were other instances where it became obvious that my partner was relatively new (found out later he's a first year guy.) ie, he's lead and signaling three-point try on a shot from the top of the key.
Anyway, at halftime, he's talking about the call with pride. Like he knew it was the right call, and said he almost whacked the coach when he commented about the lack of hustle. I just told him that I didn't see a foul, but I didn't push the issue.
Question. Should I have told him that I had a good view of it, and that I didn't think she "completely hacked her" and that I thought his call was wrong?

Thanks,

Adam
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

... I just told him that I didn't see a foul, but I didn't push the issue.
Question. Should I have told him that I had a good view of it, and that I didn't think she "completely hacked her" and that I thought his call was wrong?

Thanks,

Adam
Adam,
If you saw it and you chose to make a private point, tell your partner you "saw a clean block", and not "didn't completely hack her". What the heck does that mean?

mick
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 05:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

If you saw it and you chose to make a private point, tell your partner you "saw a clean block", and not "didn't completely hack her". What the heck does that mean?

mick [/B]
Sorry. His comment to me at halftime, regarding that call, was that "she completely hacked her." Maybe he said, "totally," I'm not sure. Either way, I just told him I didn't see any contact. I chose not to state that I thought I had a good view of it and that he was wrong. After all, I suppose it's possible he had a more advantageous angle.
You're right, had I felt compelled to dig more deeply into it, I'd have worded it more along the lines of having seen a "clean block." He seemed pretty sure of his call, though, so I didn't feel it would help the rest of our game if I corrected him.

Adam
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 06:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

Sorry. His comment to me at halftime, regarding that call, was that "she completely hacked her." Maybe he said, "totally," I'm not sure. Either way, I just told him I didn't see any contact. I chose not to state that I thought I had a good view of it and that he was wrong. After all, I suppose it's possible he had a more advantageous angle.
You're right, had I felt compelled to dig more deeply into it, I'd have worded it more along the lines of having seen a "clean block." He seemed pretty sure of his call, though, so I didn't feel it would help the rest of our game if I corrected him.

Adam
"Question. Should I have told him that I had a good view of it, and that I didn't think she "completely hacked her" and that I thought his call was wrong?"

Adam,
The correction wasn't worth the grief.
Answered your own question, yo?
mick
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 06:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, I suppose I did answer my own question. Thanks,

Adam
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

As a two year official i think a comment about his hustle and postion--if done properly would have been helpful-i appreciate when i am given helpful hints by more experienced officials
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 06:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
As a two year official i think a comment about his hustle and postion--if done properly would have been helpful-i appreciate when i am given helpful hints by more experienced officials
Agreed. The problem was, he addressed this himself when he commented that he'd considered whacking the coach for bringing it up. "I saw it from where I was, I didn't need to [hustle]." He basically made the call right in front of the coach on the other side of the court, and indicated to me that he felt no compunction to have been in position.
If he hadn't been so sure of himself, I'd have been able to address it appropriately. Maybe that was part of my problem with him; he didn't seem willing to admit he may have kicked the call.

Oh well. If I get him again, I'll look for the chance to talk with him about it. I've been doing this for 6 or 7 seasons, but it's been off and on and without much of a commitment until this year. So I didn't feel comfortable forcing a lesson on him.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

One aspect of officiating (basketball and baseball) that I really enjoy is helping newer people along. I only do this if my comments and suggestions are welcome. I can usually find this out quickly by talking to my partner, and getting a feel for how receptive he is. If he is defensive, or seems to "know it all," that ends my efforts. By the way, I am always working to improve myself, so will listen to more experienced officials (who are following proper protocol). Learning is continuous, IMO.

An example this year: A second year ref tells me to point out any things he should work on. At halftime I double check with him that he knows a KICK must be intentional. He clearly called three "kicks" that were inadvertent.
He answered that YES he knows the KICK must be intentional.
I stated that I was just making sure, because a few of the kicks were just feet hitting the ball while players were running in a stampede, and once, the player was looking behind him when his foot contacted the ball in front of him.
He did the "Yeah, but," and defended his calls. Anyway, when that happens I discontinue any feedback.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
An example this year: A second year ref tells me to point out any things he should work on. At halftime I double check with him that he knows a KICK must be intentional. He clearly called three "kicks" that were inadvertent.
He answered that YES he knows the KICK must be intentional.
I stated that I was just making sure, because a few of the kicks were just feet hitting the ball while players were running in a stampede, and once, the player was looking behind him when his foot contacted the ball in front of him.
He did the "Yeah, but," and defended his calls. Anyway, when that happens I discontinue any feedback.
Good example, 9-0.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm still at the "new" end of this thing, and I do appreciate comments from partners who have suggestions. The way you worded it sounds about right for someone who is receptive. Wording it more harshly will only alienate.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Did you have a pregame with this guy? If nothing else, even a short pregame will start some dialogue especially if you've never called with someone and it might have given you a clue as to his level of experience.

I too enjoy helping less experienced officials but I have to build some rapport before I'll even try to help. Most folks don't respond well to criticism even when they ask for it. I've found it helps just to ask what they saw so they can verbalize their thoughts. Once verbalized, they can see for themselves whether it was right or not.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Simple- Officials have a primary and a secondary coverage. Your lazy partner was in neither.

The question is not wether it was a foul/hack, but was he in position to make the call.

Learn from this, then add this to your pregame list on court coverage.