The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Note: When do we ever (by the manual) hand the ball to the free thrower (see a. above)? I haven't done that for over thirty years. Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
To what manual are you referring? I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs.

Indeed, no one does it.

(I have done it twice and it was because the shooter (a captain) had quick questions. I handed him the ball and slowly retreated)

As far as the OP, NFHS case 6.1.2 sit B provides wording that indicates when a throw-in is available, all in the same language that we have used in this thread.

Last edited by bucky; Sat Mar 18, 2017 at 07:50pm.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 07:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
To what manual are you referring? I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs.

Indeed, no one does it.

(I have done it twice and it was because the shooter (a captain) had quick questions. I handed him the ball and slowly retreated)

As far as the OP, NFHS case 6.1.2 sit B provides wording that indicates when a throw-in is available, all in the same language that we have used in this thread.
Not that NFHS is different, but why are you referencing the CCA manual in a discussion of high school mechanics?
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not that NFHS is different, but why are you referencing the CCA manual in a discussion of high school mechanics?
To illustrate that there is a manual, from a governing body, that does not dictate the ball be bounced to the FT shooter for Technical/Intentional fouls. Ergo, it could be the same for another governing body. Furthermore, I asked to get clarification as many, many posters reference more than one governing body without directly indicating it. lastly, I do not have my NFHS manual readily available and thought it easier just to ask
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 10:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
6.1.2 SITUATION B: Team A has just scored a goal. The ball is bouncing close
to the end line when: (a) A1 calls for a time-out; or (b) A1 illegally contacts B1.
RULING: In order to rule correctly, it depends on whether the bouncing ball is
judged to be at the thrower’s disposal. If the covering official judges it is at the
thrower’s disposal, he/she would start the count and the ball becomes live. In this
case, in (a), no time-out is granted and the foul in (b), is penalized. If the ball is
not at the thrower’s disposal, the time-out is granted in (a), and the contact in (b),
is ignored unless it is intentional or flagrant. COMMENT: In this situation, the covering
official must give the new throw-in team a moment or two to recognize it is
their ball for a throw-in and get a player into the area to pick up the ball. If the ball
is near the end line, it is the throw-in team’s responsibility to secure it and throwin
from anywhere out of bounds along the end line. The covering official shall
start his/her throw-in count when it is determined the ball is available. (4-4-7d)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
I do not believe that the CCA manual indicates anything about bouncing the ball to the shooter of a technical foul FT as it does other FTs. Indeed, no one does it.
Quote:
To illustrate that there is a manual, from a governing body, that does not dictate the ball be bounced to the FT shooter for Technical/Intentional fouls.
According to the IAABO Two Person Manual, there is (by the book) no differentiation between administering technical foul free throws, intentional foul free throws, or any other type of free throw shooting situation. Two officials are involved in all free throw situations, the trail has his coverage responsibilities, and the lead has his coverage responsibilities, including bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter.

Note: Over thirty years ago there were many free throw shooting situations where the trail handed the ball to the free throw shooter, always from the shooter's left side, but that ancient mechanic went the way of the buggy whip.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 18, 2017 at 10:33pm.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Generally -- when the team has the ball OOB and is facing the court -- or could reasonably be expected to do so.
I will slightly disagree. While this is probably the way we do it in practice most of the time...there are times I dont. I have seen way too many teams take too much time getting the ball, going OOB, and facing the Court, to avoid a press or take time to figure out the press... (or letting the ball bounce determining who is going to make a throw in while there is a press).

What do you do if its the team who was just scored on hit the ball and has to track it down? Do you call them for a delay of game warning? Or do you just start the 5 second count?

If they were trying to get it to another player OOB for the throw-in and their toss went errant. The ball was available when the player secured the ball? Do they get extra time because he couldn't get it to the inbound thrower correctly?

Clearly the intent of the rules is for the offense to make a prompt throw-in, not be able to run time unreasonably, give a fair playing field to those who want to press...

Not sure when the best time to start it but it may not be OOB facing the floor...
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question how about this wrinkle

So, had a game this season with this same situation, with the only difference being the scoring team (the one with no timeouts) knocking the ball well out of the way in an attempt to prompt the delay of game warning--which stops the clock, because there was no other way they were going to be able to stop it. Do you go ahead and grant the delay of game warning, knowing that it's a gamesmanship situation, or do you ignore the violation because it's (in essence) rewarding them for their illegal act?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 09:58pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfxvii View Post
So, had a game this season with this same situation, with the only difference being the scoring team (the one with no timeouts) knocking the ball well out of the way in an attempt to prompt the delay of game warning--which stops the clock, because there was no other way they were going to be able to stop it. Do you go ahead and grant the delay of game warning, knowing that it's a gamesmanship situation, or do you ignore the violation because it's (in essence) rewarding them for their illegal act?
Check out casebook 9.2.10.A... specifically, the comment following that case play.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post

Not sure when the best time to start it but it may not be OOB facing the floor...
That's why I added "or could reasonably be expected to do so" -- and all of your examples fit under that umbrella.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 07:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
personally, i think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.
lol!
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfxvii View Post
How much time was remaining when the ball went through the basket?

If more than 5 seconds, administer as normal.

If 5 seconds or less, then no. If the new offensive team is actually trying to do the throw-in, then you call a technical foul. If the new offensive team is not trying to complete the throw-in, then you ignore the infraction and let the clock run.

The case play spells it out.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Personally, I think the new lead at halfcourt should just call a 5-second violation.
That would make a hell of a video.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 01:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That would make a hell of a video.
Someone might have to post it once, twice, or 384 times.