View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 18, 2017, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
On any other throw in administered by an official, when does the ball become available to the thrower? Does it start when we know they should have a throwin (on the infraction that stops the clock) or when we actually give them the ball OOB? If we bounce them the ball, does it start as we bounce them the ball or when they catch the ball?
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and ye shall find ... (Matthew 7:7)

4-4-7: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is:
a. Handed to a thrower or free thrower.
b. Caught by a player after it is bounced to him/her.
c. Placed on the floor at the spot.
d. Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Now we just need a NFHS definition for "available to a player" (only for after a basket) and we're ready to rock and roll.

For the good of the cause: The nonshooting team can be granted a timeout before the bounced ball is caught by the free thrower.

The ball becomes live when: On a free throw, it is at the disposal of the free thrower.

Note: When do we ever (by the manual) hand the ball to the free thrower (see a. above)? I haven't done that for over thirty years. Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 18, 2017 at 03:30pm.