The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Fashion Fun

OK so I'm a coach let the hostility begin.

We have had 3 games in and 3 different interpretations by the officials and although this discussion wont help in our actual games I would like some clarity on the situation.

My teams away uniforms are predominantly green. We have decided that any tights or sleeves will be black, but I don't allow "shooting sleeves" so any sleeves will be t shirt sleeves that end above the elbow.

So in our first game I have a few kids wearing black tights and black undershirts under a green jersey. Its a non official "foundation" game so the officials come over and tell me that the "undershirt" is an extension of the uniform and must be the color of our jerseys. So I quickly pull my kids off and have them take their tee shirts off. I feel like an idiot because I have clearly misunderstood the all important fashion requirements. Thinking that the change of the "sleeves" included sleeves of an undershirt. Official explains to me that sleeve implies a separate sleeve that extends below the elbow. Ok my fault I kicked it.

Game 2: Players are wearing Green jerseys, green undershirts that end above the elbow, and black tights. Officials come to me and say "hey look its early we will cut you some slack but those 3 players are illegally equipped they have green sleeves and black tights". So I'm confused. I ask about the undershirt being same color and they tell me that all under garments must be the same color. Which was my original interpretation. But now I'm just confused and my players are confused and I really have no idea how to move forward.

Game 3: We are in White playing a team wearing Red. Half of them are wearing black undershirts. Half are wearing matching red undershirts. And several are wearing Black tights/leggings. So I am not trying to cause a problem for them I just want some clarification and ask what this interpretation is. The officials tell me that those wearing black/black are ok because they match each other. Those wearing red/black are ok because Jersey/Undershirt "are considered an extension of one another". And now I am just completely confused and my players are just laughing at me because I made kinda a big deal about it before the season.

All games were against D1 teams and I assume D1(top division) officials in the same section. I am not trying to say anything negative here I am just looking for a consensus from the brain trust on what the correct interpretation should be. If it were up to me I would just tell my guys no undershirts but...

Thanks for any help you could offer!
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Angry

I'm always incredulous when certified officials kick such a basic uniform rule. A shooting sleeve is not the sleeve of an undershirt, it is a separate piece of equipment. Had very good friends who were kicking this rule last season and all I could do was shake my head. Copy and paste the following to a document, print it out, and keep it with you at all your games.

Rule 3-5
ART. 3

Arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves and tights are permissible:

a. Anything worn on the arm and/or leg is a sleeve, except a knee brace, and shall meet the color restrictions.

b. The sleeves/tights shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color sleeves/tights shall be worn by teammates.

c. All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color and must be the same color as any headband or wristband worn.

d. Meet the logo requirements in 3-6.

NOTE: In general, a brace is defined as anything that contains hinges and/or straps or an opening over the knee cap

ART. 6

Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 06, 2015 at 02:16pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Coach, unfortunately, your officials are being inconsistent (or just plain lazy) in their application of the uniform rule. There are few things worse than inconsistency with officiating as you, and your team, never know what to expect - whether it be uniforms, applications of hand-checking rules, FT violations, etc.

If you brought this up to the leadership in our Association, our Assignor would send out a nasty e-mail and it would certainly be a topic of discussion at our meeting (again) - we get it every yr.

BNR has posted the Rules Book verbiage for your use.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

OK....don't have my rule book handy, but here's the basics:

Game 1: Officials were correct. t-shirts must be the same color as the jersey. T-shirts are not covered by the arm sleeve/leg sleeve/tights rule.

Game 2: Officials were incorrect - see above. Arm sleeves/leg sleeves/tights may be black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey. All must be the same color for all players on the team.

Game 3: Officials were incorrect - see above.....
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The first officials were correct.

A shirt is not a sleeve.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. That is what I assumed after re reading the rules and the changes. Unfortunately I was combining a two year old rulebook and a rules change notice and incorrectly assumed that "Sleeves" included the sleeves of an undershirt. I knew the third night was totally wrong but what can you do?

As always I appreciate what you all do. Even though it doesn't seem like it most of the time we appreciate what you all do.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 03:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Like a Doctor: Lots of Patients

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Thanks guys. That is what I assumed after re reading the rules and the changes. Unfortunately I was combining a two year old rulebook and a rules change notice and incorrectly assumed that "Sleeves" included the sleeves of an undershirt. I knew the third night was totally wrong but what can you do?

As always I appreciate what you all do. Even though it doesn't seem like it most of the time we appreciate what you all do.
Thanx for your patience and understanding with officials who should really know better. I used to be one of you so I know your frustration.
As hard as we try here, there's always "those" officials who, in spite of all the classes we run and email updates we send and POE's we bring to their attention and rules changes we familiarize them with, somehow just "don't get the memo". And it's truly frustrating from this end, too.
Your approach and seeming acceptance of this sad reality as you've personally encountered it is laudable.
Thanx for that!
And now, if you can, please spread the correct understanding you have of the proper application of the "Fashion Fun" rule around to all the fellow coaches you can. That will go a long way to this no longer being any sort of issue. Which is what we're aiming for, too.
Thanx again, Coach!
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Thanx for your patience and understanding with officials who should really know better. I used to be one of you so I know your frustration.
As hard as we try here, there's always "those" officials who, in spite of all the classes we run and email updates we send and POE's we bring to their attention and rules changes we familiarize them with, somehow just "don't get the memo". And it's truly frustrating from this end, too.
Your approach and seeming acceptance of this sad reality as you've personally encountered it is laudable.
Thanx for that!
And now, if you can, please spread the correct understanding you have of the proper application of the "Fashion Fun" rule around to all the fellow coaches you can. That will go a long way to this no longer being any sort of issue. Which is what we're aiming for, too.
Thanx again, Coach!
If I changed a few things in this post I can make it sound like there was a genocide.

Oh no, an official forgot a rule that had zero impact on the game. Oh, what a foul world we live in. Oh, woe is us, having to deal with such horrible officials.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's An Italian Coach ...

Than you for caring coach, and for, at least, making an attempt to instruct your players properly. If all my local coaches would take the few minutes that you took to instruct their players, we wouldn't have as many of the fashion problems that we have.

Here are the rules in a nutshell:

Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants. Anything worn on the arm, and/or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve. Only a single item may be worn on the head (with no extensions), and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow. Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey, and shall not have frayed, or ragged edges.

(Note: I would rather not discuss compression shorts. The NFHS has really muddied the water on that piece of equipment.)

In a perfect world, the following would occur immediately after the head coach passes out the uniforms:

Setting: A high school locker room. Socks, and towels, are strewn around on the floor. There's a slight smell of perspiration in the air.

Coach: Our home uniform jerseys are white. If you want to wear an undershirt at home, it must be a white undershirt. As the coach I'm telling you now, that if you want to wear headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, or tights, I have unilaterally decided that they must be solid black. No other color choices. Period. Also, headbands can't have extensions, I don't want my players looking like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Capiche?

Players: Yes Coach.

Coach: Our road uniform jerseys are blue. If you want to wear an undershirt on the road, it must be a blue undershirt. As the coach I'm telling you now, that if you want to wear headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, or tights, I have unilaterally decided that they must be solid black. No other color choices. Period. Also, headbands can't have extensions. Capiche?

Players: Yes Coach.

And ... Scene.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2015 at 08:06pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
... a rule that had zero impact on the game.
If indeed, the rule has zero impact on the game, and one has a choice of doing it the right way, or the wrong way, why not chose the right way? One is just as easy as the other. But only one way it right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If indeed, the rule has zero impact on the game, and one has a choice of doing it the right way, or the wrong way, why not chose the right way? One is just as easy as the other. But only one way it right.
I agree with everything you just said. Why are you out go get me, lol.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:21pm
This IS My Social Life

Isn't an Either/Or . . . It's a Both/And

"Impact on the Game" rules . . . so-called "No Impact on the Game" rules.
Good officials can know and reasonably apply both.
Lesser officials, alas, are able to choose only one of the two. If that.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Sheldon Cooper, Maybe I Don't Understand Sarcasm ???

Quote:
I agree with everything you just said. Why are you out go get me ...
You're fairly new around here, and I'm having trouble understanding some of your posts. Sorry.

Quote:
Oh no, an official forgot a rule that had zero impact on the game. Oh, what a foul world we live in. Oh, woe is us, having to deal with such horrible officials.

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You're fairly new around here, and I'm having trouble understanding some of your posts. Sorry.
Gotcha, yeah, I was trying to be as sarcastic as possible. I just don't think it's that big of a deal if an officials only fault is forgetting about an undershirt not being the correct color. I enforce the rules and expect other officials to do the same, but if an assigner assigns someone who won't enforce it then it's out of my hands. If I'm on the game it'll get fixed. If I'm not on the game; I'm not going to let an undershirt ruin my enjoyment of the game.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 04:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Gotcha, yeah, I was trying to be as sarcastic as possible.
Sarcasm should always be noted in BLUE, seriously.