The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Fashion Police

Team A has a grey uniform on the road. The jersey is grey trimmed with blue and the blue panel under the armpit. The shorts are solid grey on the front and the blue panel extends all the way around the backside. In other words, the front of the shorts are grey and the entire back of the shorts are blue. Legal?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Team A has a grey uniform on the road. The jersey is grey trimmed with blue and the blue panel under the armpit. The shorts are solid grey on the front and the blue panel extends all the way around the backside. In other words, the front of the shorts are grey and the entire back of the shorts are blue. Legal?
There are a myriad of limitations on jersey design.
Not the case with shorts.

3-4-5
Uniform pants/skirts shall have only one visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference. See 3-6-2 for size requirements.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Legal, as I can find no rules governing color restrictions on shorts or uniform pants/skirts. If I'm wrong I'm sure MTD or BM will be along shortly. Get it??
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

It would not even dawn on me to notice or care.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Not legal in NCAAW.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not legal in NCAAW.
Out of curiosity, has anyone who works college ever had to deal with illegal uniforms? Not undershirts, headbands, or any of that - but something that made the actual uniforms illegal? How does a college team deal with that if it happens? Dig into the closet and find old legal uniforms until they order new ones? I would think college programs would be on top of the uniform rules when they order new uniforms.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

The uniform rules are really directed more at athletics program management and manufacturers. Though the officials are supposed to know the rules, if it gets down to the point where they need to assess uniform pants/jersey infractions, then someone in the AD's office deserves to be fired.

Case in point: Wasn't it just last year that Baylor proposed a men's uniform design for the NCAA tournament that the NCAA ultimately rejected? The system worked; it never got to the point where the officials had to get involved on the floor.

In high school, we might have to play a more active role and/or assess penalties, and it would be nice if this happened early in the season rather than in the state championship game. Case in point: a few years ago in a state title game, an Illinois team's coach was assessed a direct T for illegal uniforms. The opposing team made both free throws at the beginning of the game. Guess who lost the game by one point? Oh yeah, and they'd been wearing those uniforms all year and were never penalized.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Case in point: a few years ago in a state title game, an Illinois team's coach was assessed a direct T for illegal uniforms.
What was illegal about their uniforms?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I can't remember. I just remember being astounded when I read the article in the paper. Anyone from Illinois remember this?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What was illegal about their uniforms?
There was a small stripe that came from the side and wrapped around into the front torso area of the jersey.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:50pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Case in point: a few years ago in a state title game, an Illinois team's coach was assessed a direct T for illegal uniforms. The opposing team made both free throws at the beginning of the game. Guess who lost the game by one point? Oh yeah, and they'd been wearing those uniforms all year and were never penalized.
Not exactly true. They did wear those uniforms multiple times during the season without punishment, but they did not wear them all year. The team in question had at least 2 different home uniforms. They did not wear the illegal ones every time they wore their home uniforms, and their road uniforms were legal. Also, they were told the night before the championship game that their uniforms were illegal, they would be penalized if they wore them, and were given the opportunity to wear their other uniforms. They were even told they could wear white tee shirts with numbers written on them. The coach thought they were going to win the game easily so he chose to wear the illegal uniforms even though he was told in advance his team would be penalized. Them losing by one point was a fitting end for his arrogance.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone who works college ever had to deal with illegal uniforms? Not undershirts, headbands, or any of that - but something that made the actual uniforms illegal? How does a college team deal with that if it happens? Dig into the closet and find old legal uniforms until they order new ones? I would think college programs would be on top of the uniform rules when they order new uniforms.
Yes. School logo was place right between the two digits of the number on the front.

Note that "many" NCAAM and NCAAW teams have illegal shorts this year because of excess logos. They have all been granted a waiver.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

It must be noted that we have totally different jersey rules than the NF as a result of this situation in the State Finals and the debacle that took place for a few years after that situation. The IHSA dug in their heals about uniforms and have since backed off. Basically uniforms jerseys are legal if they have a centered number and the logos, lettering and panels do not come within an inch of the number.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Not Give The NFHS Any Ideas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There are a myriad of limitations on jersey design. Not the case with shorts.
Praise the Lord.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 17, 2014, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirty-Four Years, And A First For Me ...

... Illegal number. Catholic middle school league. Assigner wants all fashion issues attended to, including illegal numbers. Something looked odd about a player's (not a substitute) jersey. It took me a few seconds, but it finally hit me. Nineteen, that's not legal number. Charge the head coach with a direct technical foul (counts toward team fouls for the half). Opponent (any player, or substitute) gets two free throws, and the ball at the division line. Coach has to sit (with a few exceptions) the rest of the game. Nineteen is allowed to play the rest of the game. Did I do it right?

Another first for me, and I bet that nobody has ever had this one. The entire team (twelve team members) shows up, with the coach, for the captains/coaches meeting. High school varsity game. New magnet/charter high school. Opening night for girls basketball in the state. Coach explains that he is teaching leadership skills to his entire team, and wants everyone to be a captain for the first game of the season. After that he will appoint different captains for every game. My partner was the referee and he wisely dispensed with the handshakes, and introductions, just stating, "Hello girls. I'm John Smith, and my handsome partner is BillyMac (OK, he didn't actually say "handsome", but I'm sure that he felt the urge to say it).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 17, 2014 at 07:56pm.