The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Test Question

This is a question from the NCAA test. The NCAA OBS rule is now the same as OBR. Let me know what you think and why. I believe there is no correct answer.

R1, R3, no outs. R1 is stealing and gets caught in a rundown and is obstructed. After obstruction has been called on F4, R3 is thrown out at the plate.

a. R1 is returned to first base and R3 is awarded home.
b. Award R1 third base on the obstruction.
c. R3 is awarded home since he was advancing to the plate when obstruction was called and R1 is awarded second base.
d. The out on R3 stands
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
This is a question from the NCAA test. The NCAA OBS rule is now the same as OBR. Let me know what you think and why. I believe there is no correct answer.

R1, R3, no outs. R1 is stealing and gets caught in a rundown and is obstructed. After obstruction has been called on F4, R3 is thrown out at the plate.

c. R3 is awarded home since he was advancing to the plate when obstruction was called and R1 is awarded second base.
d. The out on R3 stands
No idea if I was right or wrong, but I answered C.
I assumed it was type 1 obs, but either way you make awards that in your judgement, nullify the act of obs. For me that was R1 getting his entitled 1 base and R3, getting home. The question does not paint a clear enough picture either way.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Gotta go with "C". It's the most correct, type A, with your judgement that R3"could" have made it home had there not been any obs on R1.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post

d. The out on R3 stands
I am new to the forum and just attended the NCAA Chicago clinic, so bear with me. Type A OBS is an immediate dead ball, right? Therefore the out made did not happen. C is the only possible answer according to the rules interp we saw.

If I am wrong I welcome the advice since I have to take the test too. Good luck.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I am new to the forum and just attended the NCAA Chicago clinic, so bear with me. Type A OBS is an immediate dead ball, right? Therefore the out made did not happen. C is the only possible answer according to the rules interp we saw.

If I am wrong I welcome the advice since I have to take the test too. Good luck.
That's the logic I would use as well.

It is Type I (Type a in OBR), so the ball is dead and R1 must be awarded second. C is the only answer that includes that.

I agree that the part in the answer dealing with R3 is not necessarily correct, so a slightly different play on the field might result in a slightly different ruling thatn on the test question.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, this can be found in NCAA 2-54 Type 1 Obstruction on page 36.

I referred to it as Type A, like Evans did on Sunday.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the logic I would use as well.

It is Type I (Type a in OBR), so the ball is dead and R1 must be awarded second. C is the only answer that includes that.

I agree that the part in the answer dealing with R3 is not necessarily correct, so a slightly different play on the field might result in a slightly different ruling thatn on the test question.
Thanks Bob. I just spent the last six years in the Philippines and am learning all the rule changes from during that time. We played OBR over there so I am keen to see more discussion on NCAA ball as Spring progresses. I hope to see you out on the field again.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Two more questions:

2. R2, R3, two outs. The pitcher bobbles a come-backer and seeing that he has no play at 1B, throws to F5 who tags out R2. However, R2 was obstructed by F6 on his way to third. The BR rounds first base too wide and F5 throws behind the BR and the BR is called out.

a.The ball is "dead" on the obstruction of R2 by F6. Score R3, award R2 third and award BR second if he had touched first before the obstruction of R2.
b.R2 is out for the third out. The other action occurred after the side had been retired.
c.Inning is over, the out stands for the third out.
d.If R3 has not touched home when the BR is called out, the run would not count.

3. The pitch clock is paused for any of the following reasons,

a.A fielder is delayed in returning to his position after attempting to field a foul ball.
b.The batter is delayed in returning to the dirt area around home plate following his running out of a foul ball.
c.The pitcher is delayed in returning to the dirt circle because he was backing up a play.
d.The pitcher disengages the pitching rubber.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
Two more questions:

2. R2, R3, two outs. The pitcher bobbles a come-backer and seeing that he has no play at 1B, throws to F5 who tags out R2. However, R2 was obstructed by F6 on his way to third. The BR rounds first base too wide and F5 throws behind the BR and the BR is called out.

a.The ball is "dead" on the obstruction of R2 by F6. Score R3, award R2 third and award BR second if he had touched first before the obstruction of R2.
b.R2 is out for the third out. The other action occurred after the side had been retired.
d.If R3 has not touched home when the BR is called out, the run would not count.

a.A fielder is delayed in returning to his position after attempting to field a foul ball.
b.The batter is delayed in returning to the dirt area around home plate following his running out of a foul ball.
c.The pitcher is delayed in returning to the dirt circle because he was backing up a play.
CG, if the runner is being played on as described it is Type 1 Obstruction and the ball is dead immediately. All plays after the infraction are immaterial. That would make "a" the only acceptable answer, right?

a. Common sense application. Safety supersedes speed - prompt the player and then resume the clock when he and the batter are ready. I assume the pitcher is since you started the clock.

b. Described in the CCA on page 23, play 12. The clock restarts when the pitcher and batter are both ready.

c. The clock should never have started since the pitcher is not in possession of the ball while on the mound. Start a new 20 seconds.

d. Unless it is a common sense pause for tying a shoe, swatting a bug, wiping sweat or cleaning glasses the clock should not have stopped. Since it was paused we can assume one of these things happened, right? Resume when he and the batter are ready after prompting.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 12:18pm. Reason: spelling errors
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two more questions:

D is the only choice for 2, as lousy as it is.

3 has to be a mistake. A, B and C are all valid reasons to pause the clock, D is not. The question should read: "In which of the following situations should the pitch clock not be paused?"
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two more questions:

It looks like C and D to me. I've got Type B (Or "2") OBS on F6. The ball stays live and the BR is liable to be put out. He is the third out. If he is tagged before R3 touches home, the run would not count. Am I missing something here?

Quote:

From my reading, the pitch clock could be paused in A, B, and C.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CG, if the runner is being played on as described it is Type 1 Obstruction and the ball is dead immediately. All plays after the infraction are immaterial. That would make "a" the only acceptable answer, right?

a. Common sense application. Safety supersedes speed - prompt the player and then resume the clock when he and the batter are ready. I assume the pitcher is since you started the clock.

b. Described in the CCA on page 23, play 12. The clock restarts when the pitcher and batter are both ready.

c. The clock should never have started since the pitcher is not in possession of the ball while on the mound. Start a new 20 seconds.

d. Unless it is a common sense pause for tying a shoe, swatting a bug, wiping sweat or cleaning glasses the clock should not have stopped. Since it was paused we can assume one of these things happened, right? Resume when he and the batter are ready after prompting.
From the sounds of this play, R2 is not being played on when the OBS occurs. The throw was from F1 to F5, and F6 was guilty of the OBS. That looks like Type 2 to me.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's type 2 OBS by F6. The ball stays live until F5 gets it.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
D is the only choice for 2, as lousy as it is.
But, if D is correct, then it was Type 2 OBS. That makes answers B and C also correct.

If it was Type 1, then the first two parts of A are correct, but I'd disagree with the award to BR (and the reasoning).

Quote:
3 has to be a mistake. A, B and C are all valid reasons to pause the clock, D is not. The question should read: "In which of the following situations should the pitch clock not be paused?"
That makes sense, but I'm not sure you can answer a test question based on the question being a typo.

Good questions by Ceasers Ghost and UMPTTS43. I'm sure I'll see one or more of them on my test.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
It's type 2 OBS by F6. The ball stays live until F5 gets it.
DR,
I would agree except that it is contrary to the video shown at the NCAA clinic this weekend. I may be confused but if a runner is advancing and the ball is being thrown there to put him out, a play is being made on him. It doesn't have to be a rundown or force play. The throw was directly from F1 to F5 in an effort to put out the runner, right? The bobble doesn't mean much.

I hate those questions. Assuming more than what is written is always something that trips me up. Did you get that answer correct on the exam?