The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
DR,
I would agree except that it is contrary to the video shown at the NCAA clinic this weekend. I may be confused but if a runner is advancing and the ball is being thrown there to put him out, a play is being made on him. It doesn't have to be a rundown or force play. The throw was directly from F1 to F5 in an effort to put out the runner, right? The bobble doesn't mean much.

I hate those questions. Assuming more than what is written is always something that trips me up. Did you get that answer correct on the exam?
I think you're right. The wording of the question led me to conclude the OBS by F6 occurred well before the throw to F5. At least it's the only way a single answer makes sense, although I agree with Bob about awarding the B/R 2nd base. I would keep him at 1st.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 12:58pm.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
It's type 2 OBS by F6. The ball stays live until F5 gets it.
Same as OBR type B. If it is type 2, the ball stays live until the completion of the play. The only time you kill a type 2(B) obs is when the umpire that called the obs protects a runner to a base and that runner is tagged for an apparent out in which the umpire that called the obs also has the play. In other words, if U3 called the obs and judged that R2 is protected to third, yet a play is made on R2 where U3 would have to call him out, U3 would kill the play, award R2 third and place other runners, with possible assistance from the rest of the crew. If U3 called obs on a runner, and a play is made on that runner where another umpire has the call, PU for example, you wait until the entire play is over then get together and enforce any awards, if any, to nullify the obs.

In the additional questions posed, the first question is too vague to make a correct ruling from the options given, although d seems the most likely. We need to know when the obs occurred in relation to the throw to F5 in order to determine either type 1 or type 2 obs. If it is type 2, we need to know whether or not U3 is protecting R2 to third. For those reasons, b, c, or d could be correct.

I also agree that the second question was miswritten and should have had NOT included.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Have the 2011 Rules Supplement (handed out at the clinics) in front of you when you take the test. Some of the questions are taken directly from the "Test Your Rules Knowledge" section on page 10.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help. Still not sure what I am going to do.

One more, does NCAA have the same ruling about a batted ball that could go fair as pro rules has? That makes the difference between c and d being correct.

4. R1, R2, R3, one out. B5 lays down a "suicide squeeze" bunt that rolls into foul territory near the first base foul line. The ball is rolling back towards the foul line with a chance to roll fair. The pitcher instructs the catcher to "touch it foul" at which time the catcher scoops up the ball with the mask he is holding in his throwing hand.

a.Score one run and put the batter at first base.
b.Score three runs and put the batter at first base.
c.Foul ball.
d.Score three runs and put the batter at third base.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post

One more, does NCAA have the same ruling about a batted ball that could go fair as pro rules has? That makes the difference between c and d being correct.

4. R1, R2, R3, one out. B5 lays down a "suicide squeeze" bunt that rolls into foul territory near the first base foul line. The ball is rolling back towards the foul line with a chance to roll fair. The pitcher instructs the catcher to "touch it foul" at which time the catcher scoops up the ball with the mask he is holding in his throwing hand.

c.Foul ball.
You won't find the language foul with a possiblitly to go fair in the NCAA rulebook.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 01:49pm
Veteran College Umpire

Gentlemen, FYI, when you take and submit the test it will only tell you how many you missed (if you didn't get them all correct). It will not tell you which ones you missed (or what the correct answers should have been).

I took my test last night and didn't get them all correct, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the key is posted to see which ones I missed and what the right answers should have been.

Overall I thought the test was good, but I also think the NCAA could use a few more proof readers to catch the poorly written questions.

JJ
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post

c.Foul ball.
CG, I am inclined to answer 'c'.

8-3-g only speaks of detached equipment with regards to fair batted balls. That would be a three base award. That eliminates b and d. As the ball was touched by the player in foul territory I don't see how I can award a base which would force a run to score.

I will take the test tonight or tomorrow and hope our discussion helps settle things. If I am incorrect in my application of rule here please let me know. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 07:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
This is a question from the NCAA test. The NCAA OBS rule is now the same as OBR. Let me know what you think and why. I believe there is no correct answer.

R1, R3, no outs. R1 is stealing and gets caught in a rundown and is obstructed. After obstruction has been called on F4, R3 is thrown out at the plate.

a. R1 is returned to first base and R3 is awarded home.
b. Award R1 third base on the obstruction.
c. R3 is awarded home since he was advancing to the plate when obstruction was called and R1 is awarded second base.
d. The out on R3 stands
This is C for sure. Go to MLB.com and search a few videos. Unfortunately you have to search "Interference" (I know the difference, but that's what you have to search to see examples) ball is immediately dead in the sitch you describe.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Since we know that the ball is immediately dead on the OBS and the runner is awarded at least one base, answers a and d are invalid.

In no way would you award R1 third for this infraction. B is now done.

The answer has to be c, but I would not award R3 home in that situation.

Other questions have popped up that are just as vague and/or miswritten.

I'm sure the NCAA will come out with rewrites and interps when the testing time is done.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Man, who writes these NCAA tests? The same guy that writes the NFHS tests?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
This is a question from the NCAA test. The NCAA OBS rule is now the same as OBR. Let me know what you think and why. I believe there is no correct answer.

R1, R3, no outs. R1 is stealing and gets caught in a rundown and is obstructed. After obstruction has been called on F4, R3 is thrown out at the plate.

a. R1 is returned to first base and R3 is awarded home.
b. Award R1 third base on the obstruction.
c. R3 is awarded home since he was advancing to the plate when obstruction was called and R1 is awarded second base.
d. The out on R3 stands
Take each play as it goes..

R1 is in a rundown, and gets Obstructed? That is considered a play on a runner, which makes the ball "Dead" and since R3 had not advanced to his next base he is sent back to his base unless he was forced, and in this play R3 was not forced.. Since R1 is awarded 1 base from his last legally touched base R1 would be sent to 2nd. and the same for R3 he gets sent back to his last legally touched base which is 3rd... So really there is no correct answer here.. If you want I can ask to the Pro guys here at school?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Gentlemen, FYI, when you take and submit the test it will only tell you how many you missed (if you didn't get them all correct). It will not tell you which ones you missed (or what the correct answers should have been).

I took my test last night and didn't get them all correct, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the key is posted to see which ones I missed and what the right answers should have been.

Overall I thought the test was good, but I also think the NCAA could use a few more proof readers to catch the poorly written questions.

JJ
When the test is all done and no one can come in a take the test, they will send out which ones you missed.. they did this last year. Most likely the end of Feb.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
When the test is all done and no one can come in a take the test, they will send out which ones you missed.. they did this last year. Most likely the end of Feb.
The test closes Feb. 13.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Read the supplement. There's some excellent material in there.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Take each play as it goes..

R1 is in a rundown, and gets Obstructed? That is considered a play on a runner, which makes the ball "Dead" and since R3 had not advanced to his next base he is sent back to his base unless he was forced, and in this play R3 was not forced..
The placement of R3 is at the discretion of the umpire.