The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Test Question

NCAA:

While Team A is in control, a held ball is called. The possession arrow favors Team A. Following the held ball, Team A is charged with an intentional technical foul, followed by a direct technical foul called on Team B. The official awards each team two free throws and awards the ball to Team B at the division line. Is the official correct?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 08:51am
Courageous When Prudent

I'll see if I can get this right without looking it up.

Team B would get throw-in at mid-court as part of the penalty phase of Team A's intentional technical foul. Team B's technical foul is a POI foul, POI being Team B's throw-in. AP arrow would still point toward's Team A.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:13am
Lighten up, Francis.

Sounds right to me.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree with everything accept the throw-in at the division line unless, this is where the point of interruption occurred.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 11:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

Rook, the throw-in at the division line is part of the penalty for the intentional technical foul. That is not a POI administration.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

So is this a double technical foul or a false double technical?

What would happen if instead of a direct technical, B1 is charged w/ a intentional technical?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 01:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
So is this a double technical foul or a false double technical?
False double.

Quote:
What would happen if instead of a direct technical, B1 is charged w/ a intentional technical?
Then you administer the penalties in the order they occured, with Team A getting the ball at midcourt, when all the dust settles.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
False double.
Are you sure because the definition of a double foul says that the first foul causes the clock to stop. That did not happen here.

Then you administer the penalties in the order they occured, with Team A getting the ball at midcourt, when all the dust settles.[/quote]

Here are some case plays to help us understand this. I will post some others when I have the time. I'm on my way to officiate a game.

Quote:
A.R. 124. After the first half has clearly ended, A1 is assessed a direct technical foul. Later, B1 taunts A1 and is assessed a direct technical foul. RULING: When the technical fouls assessed against A1 and B1 occur at approximately the same time, they are off-setting and no free throws are awarded. When the technical fouls assessed against A1 and B1 occurred as two separate acts (not approximately at the same time), the second half shall begin by awarding two free throws for A1’s direct technical foul followed by awarding two free throws for B1’s direct technical foul (order of occurrence). Play shall resume at the point of interruption which, in this
case, is the awarding of the ball to the team favored by the alternating-possession arrow to start the second period.

A.R. 166. (Men) With Team B leading, 50-48, A1 releases the ball for a try for goal. B1 fouls A1 while the ball is in flight and the game-clock horn sounds, indicating that time has expired for the second half. The try is unsuccessful. The official assesses an intentional technical foul against A1 for shoving B1. RULING: Since a single intentional technical foul has been committed, the point of interruption is not in effect. For a false double foul,
each foul shall carry its own penalty and each penalty shall be administered in the order of occurrence of the fouls. A1 shall attempt two free throws for the foul committed by B1. When A1 misses the first try, the game is over. When A1 is successful with the two free throws, any player from Team B shall attempt the two free throws for A1’s intentional technical foul. When the first try is successful, the game is over. When both tries are unsuccessful, an extra period(s) shall be played.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

This tells you all you need to know:

RULING: Since a single intentional technical foul has been committed, the point of interruption is not in effect. For a false double foul, each foul shall carry its own penalty and each penalty shall be administered in the order of occurrence of the fouls.

Penalty for direct technical is POI. POI in OP's situation is the mid-court throw-in as part of the intentional technical foul administration.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 04:47pm.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just trying to understand what a False Double Foul is because this play doesn't seem to fit the definition.

Quote:
False double foul. A false double foul occurs when there are fouls
by both teams, the second of which occurs before the game clock is started after it is stopped for the first but such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.
The clock was not stopped for the first foul, it was stopped for the held ball. Am I reading the definition wrong? Is the last part of the definition what I'm not understanding?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand what a False Double Foul is because this play doesn't seem to fit the definition.

The clock was not stopped for the first foul, it was stopped for the held ball. Am I reading the definition wrong? Is the last part of the definition what I'm not understanding?
Don't read it too literally. Basically, it is a false double if the two fouls occur without the clock starting between the fouls.

In practice, there is no need for a false double foul. They're really just seperate fouls that occur with the same time showing on the game clock (but maybe at different absolute times).
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Camron,

That is what I thought a false double would be but I wanted to make sure because of what the definition stated. Is this a rule that they should change the wording on?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Camron,

That is what I thought a false double would be but I wanted to make sure because of what the definition stated. Is this a rule that they should change the wording on?
Yes, the wording is a but confusing...it is correct but hard to read.