The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Got my "test" back, and have this one marked as wrong and am having a hard time figuring it out why it is wrong. Help me out here please:

A1 secures a rebound off of B's backboard and throws a pass in the direction of the division line. B1 jumps from her frontcourt, catches the ball while airborne, lands with one foot in her frontcourt, then steps into the back court with her other foot. The official calls a backcourt violation. Did the official handle this correctly?

I said Yes...it was marked wrong, and the rule reference given was 9-11-5, which talks about the exceptions allowed for the defensive player to jump from frontcourt, intercept pass, and land in backcourt...my thought process (limited as it is) was that by landing in the frontcourt, the player established frontcourt position and then stepped into backcourt - violation...what am I missing here?

Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Got my "test" back, and have this one marked as wrong and am having a hard time figuring it out why it is wrong. Help me out here please:

A1 secures a rebound off of B's backboard and throws a pass in the direction of the division line. B1 jumps from her frontcourt, catches the ball while airborne, lands with one foot in her frontcourt, then steps into the back court with her other foot. The official calls a backcourt violation. Did the official handle this correctly?

I said Yes...it was marked wrong, and the rule reference given was 9-11-5, which talks about the exceptions allowed for the defensive player to jump from frontcourt, intercept pass, and land in backcourt...my thought process (limited as it is) was that by landing in the frontcourt, the player established frontcourt position and then stepped into backcourt - violation...what am I missing here?

Your thought process is almost correct. Notice that 9-11.5 doesn't say "...land in the backcourt" as you posted. It says, "...land with one or both feet in the backcourt."

The play is legal.

Is this the women's test? If so, can you grade my test?

Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:58pm
Esteemed Participant

It is the Women's test, and I do have the answers and rule references...I guess my thought was that the exception allows them to jump from front and land in backcourt when intercepting the pass, but that landing in the frontcourt first established their position there... hmmm...better change my thinking...anyway, thanks Bob...tell me your ansers and I will tell you how you did...
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
tell me your ansers and I will tell you how you did...
Wel,, I was going to email you so I didn't embarass myself, but...

The referee is incorrect in all situations except:

1, 4, 8, 12, 14, 16, 22 and 25

Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Rocky
This strikes me as being more like 9-1-6, which deals with the throw-in. The common point I see is that neither team has control on a throw-in or a rebound. 9-1-6 is the reference that says on throw-ins it is legal to land with one or both feet in backcourt. Should be same for rebound.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Rocky
This strikes me as being more like 9-1-6, which deals with the throw-in. The common point I see is that neither team has control on a throw-in or a rebound. 9-1-6 is the reference that says on throw-ins it is legal to land with one or both feet in backcourt. Should be same for rebound.
Not sure I see your point - A secured the ball and made a pass which was stolen by B.

Did I miss something?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you rockyroad...at least NF boys...I've got Backcourt violation. Maybe I'm missing something here also.

RD
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I'm with you rockyroad...at least NF boys...I've got Backcourt violation. Maybe I'm missing something here also.

RD
I dont have my rulebook handy but I think this is legal in NF as well. I think there is an exemption for a player to make a "normal landing" when they secured the ball while in the air. Anyone got a reference?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

OC,
You are absolutely correct...my bad (Gotta shake the rust off)
I got to looking after I agreed with rockyroad...and found in the NF Rule Book, 9-9-3, that there is indeed some wording just as you already had stated.
"The Player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."

BTW, this applies to defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in.

RD
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OC,
I got to looking after I agreed with rockyroad...and found in the NF Rule Book, 9-9-3, that there is indeed some wording just as you already had stated.
"The Player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt."

RD
And I don't believe there is an exemption for this in FIBA for jump balls, Which would explain the really strange backcourt calls I've seen in my league games. Can any FIBA experts confirm this? How about the original situation listed in this thread under FIBA rules?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Dang, you did better than me...I missed two questions, you only missed one. Good thing I have better cort presence than you!!

#2 should also be Yes - reference Rule 3-4-14, AR13
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Dang, you did better than me...I missed two questions, you only missed one. Good thing I have better cort presence than you!!

#2 should also be Yes - reference Rule 3-4-14, AR13
I disagree -- 3-4.13 says that a bleeding player may return after a TO has been granted to his or her team. And AR14 gives an example of A being injured, B being granted a TO and A not being allowed to return.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

OC, in FIBA rule(I aint no expert), if that player holds the intercepted ball and has established herself in the front court status with one foot in the front. She can't step back.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

My bad - I read too quickly and saw this as an unsecured rebound. Didn't turn my brain on! THat is the correct reference.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
OC,

RD
And I don't believe there is an exemption for this in FIBA for jump balls, Which would explain the really strange backcourt calls I've seen in my league games. Can any FIBA experts confirm this? How about the original situation listed in this thread under FIBA rules?
Correct, no exceptions in FIBA. In the original situation, BC violation in FIBA.