The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand. Why isn't it a reinstated force regardless of the timing? Even after a pitch, if R2 retreats toward 1B (and there's a runner occupying 1B), isn't the force reinstated? Or has that somehow become a tag play because the batter did not become a runner on that play?
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 06:41pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You're welcome.

Obviously you haven't looked it up, and are content to be snotty. This is a very basic rule that you shouldn't be umpiring without knowing.

It's a force play if the runner is forced to advance. This status has nothing to do with how he is put out — tagging the runner or the base doesn't affect whether the play is a force play.
I could look up every rule as I do on my own...or I could come on here and discuss it or do both. During your post games do you just tell your partners to go "look it up, we're not dicussing the rules"...you should do that on your own. Your post is really silly. To say that I have no right to come on here and ask for clarification is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Your post is really silly. To say that I have no right to come on here and ask for clarification is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.
Where did anyone say that?

Ugh. Back to Ignore-land for you.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could look up every rule as I do on my own...or I could come on here and discuss it or do both. During your post games do you just tell your partners to go "look it up, we're not dicussing the rules"...you should do that on your own. Your post is really silly. To say that I have no right to come on here and ask for clarification is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.
Making you look it up has many benefits

1) You'll discover it.
2) You'll remember it.
3) You'll believe it.

OTOH, if you just have someone tell you

1) You may not believe it.
2) You won't be able to find it when you really need to read it.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Return to pitcher

Quote:
7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base.
Rule 7.01 Comment: If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.
Wiping off a run that has legally scored seems to be more difficult than immediately reinstating the force play once the pitcher has the ball.

Last edited by SAump; Sun May 03, 2009 at 08:28pm.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 08:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Making you look it up has many benefits

1) You'll discover it.
2) You'll remember it.
3) You'll believe it.

OTOH, if you just have someone tell you

1) You may not believe it.
2) You won't be able to find it when you really need to read it.
It doesn't pay to try to explain it or defend it to anybody, but I, like probably 99% of umps on here do my fair share of looking up.

Reasons a person may respond to a post w/o looking up:

1. access to the site vs access to a rule book
2. feel like discussing first, then looking up to discover/remember/believe
3. flat out don't feel like finding the exact rule and would rather discuss it

We can all bury our heads in a rule book until we are blue in the face...but sometimes it's good to mix it up.

I agree with your post 100%...but to say that I should "look it up" before asking a question on here...would bring an end to the forum pretty quickly.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...but to say that I should "look it up" before asking a question on here...would bring an end to the forum pretty quickly.
Not to agree or disagree with either "look it up" or "ask first" but I completely disagree with this statement.

If I have a sitch, I can look up the rule, then discuss it. Sometimes the verbiage isn't clear, sometimes you can't make the connection to your sitch, and sometimes you can't find the exact rule you're looking for. All of these promote discussion and make the board thrive, yet I first attempted to look up the rule myself.

The life blood of the forum is discussing interpretations of the rules, not spitting out rules to keep others from reading.

Again, this is simply in rebuttal to the quoted statement.
Old Sun May 03, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

I've read the J/R, PBUC, BRD, and the rest of them, but there are still times when you simply can't find what you're looking for or remember the section it was in. I think the objections to the OP were mainly that the answer was obvious, or at least easily found.

There are other times when you know the rule but wonder whether it applies in a particular case. There are, for example, baseball and softball rules (or OBR and Fed rules) that are parallel in wording, but in practice they're interpreted differently.

But I agree that it's annoying when somebody uses the board simply to ask questions whose answers are easily found.