The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Score Out?

Hi All-
This might be a little out of the ordinary, so let common sense prevail. In our rec. league, we play to slightly modified NFHS rules. Our division is 7/8th grade boys. Modifications include a 15 point score out rule, ie: player scores 15 points in a half and has a seat on the bench.
Here's the situation:
Team A player, who has 13 points, goes to the line w/ 10 seconds left in the game. Shoots 2, makes 2. So, w/ 15 points, team A player rightfully should be benched. The question is, who's responsibility is it to bench the player? As it was played, there was no signal from the scorer, and Coach A didn't call for a substitution. The game played out without further score. Team A won by 6.
The only rule reference that might have any applicability that I can find is in 2-11-4 and 11 regarding the scorers responsibilty to keep track of the score and note 2 regarding what happens if a player fouls out and remains in the game.
So stripes, what do you say?
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:54pm
M.A.S.H.

It's got to be the scorer's responsibility. They've got a quarter by quarter column for scoring by player, certainly seems easiest for them to do it.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

This has nothing to do with you as an official. This is a rule the people of the league must monitor. You are not responsible for this really. You are not sitting and counting the points. Let the table worry about it and just do your job and officiate the game.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

What if...

So I'm coach A, any changes/additions to previous responses?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclueless
No.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclueless
Coach A, Coach B and the official scorekeeper should all watch for it. If you (as Coach A) know your player scored 15 points, then you should substitute, even if the others don't say anything.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob. If it is a known rule the majority of the resposibility falls on the table but you, as coach A, need to be aware and do what is right.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

does anybody else hate the "extra" rules imposed on us - with no real way to enforce them? It happens everywhere and they always seem to give you a rule that they want you to enforce - with no plausible way to enforce it - and no penalty.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I decided it was the score tables responsibility to keep track of the situation, and didn't put a player at the scorer's table to sub. My player even tried to come off the court. However, I can't just put somebody in w/o a sub being summoned by the ref., so I told him to stay on the floor. Otherwise I've got an illegal substition, right?

No further dead balls occured, so I don't think it was an issue. If I understand correctly, no subs can take place unless there is a dead ball or unless I have possession and the stripes call a time out to correct the error.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
does anybody else hate the "extra" rules imposed on us - with no real way to enforce them? It happens everywhere and they always seem to give you a rule that they want you to enforce - with no plausible way to enforce it - and no penalty.
This is why I would disagree with Bob. I would not go through all that explaining of this rule. This is something the people in the league need to focus on. How in the heck are officials to even know how many points a player scores at one time. I work a youth football league in the fall and there is more focus on a "made up rule" than any other. I hate them because they want us to enforce something that is not very well thought out and usually does not have a clear remedy.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind this rule. It seems to me you're penalizing a player for being good. I don't think there would ever be any support for such a rule in our local kids rec league, and we've had this league going for over 25 years.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not all that against it as it's a rec. league. Forces everybody to get involved and not just have one or two hot-shots dominate the game. There is a very wide range of talent on the floor.