The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Trick or Treat Gents!

Save it Rut!!! You and I will go toe to toe on 12/15. You can tell me what it's like to win 200+ games over two years and have nothing to show for it. I'll tell you what it's like to win 150 and have the same to show. I'll buy the Sammie's.

And oh by the way...letting the O's pick up Sammy was the trade of my lifetime. That slob we had in RF this year almost tripled Sosa's output.

OK, that's it...I'm Cubbied out. How bout those Bengals???
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:

I remember going to Old Comiskey Park when the Yankees (DiMaggio) and the BoSox (Williams) were in town, and they wouldn't even open the upper decks, because the payers outnumbered the fans in the stands. The Sox in those days were pathetic because the Comiskeys were the cheapest owners in baseball, and wouldn't sign high-priced players. For years, the only real MLB players they had were Luke Appling and Ted Lyons.

Bob
Dang, you're old!
I was a teenager when the Cubs won their last pennant, and they've won four in my lifetime. My Dad took me to my first game in 1936, the year before there were bleachers and ivy.

Bob
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB9
Yes, Kerry Wood is the best pitcher in MLB history never to win 14 games.
while being a huge kerry wood fan, i didnt know he never won over 14 games. i guess that makes me less of a kerry wood fan than i thought. thats a good (not really "good") stat jeff
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Brian,
Except for one year when he had huge firepower behind him, he is like many other Cubs pitchers. You can't lose 1-0 too often without wondering what is happening. Kerry had terrific stuff, but has been injured every year that he has been in the league. His 12-6 deuce was insane, but his arm can't unleash it anymore. We can thank a high school coach that let him throw 140-180 pitches a game and half of them were curves. Dusty allowed it to continue in the Bigs. Kerry has never been an economical pitcher.

Tony LaRussa said it best in 3 Nights in August:
"One of the three different Woods will take the mound tonight. There's Wild Wood, who has no idea where any of his pitches is going and walks too many batters to be effective. There is Controlled Wood, who consciously tries to keep the ball around the strike zone and not walk batters. Then there's Effectively Wild Wood, with enough pitches in and around the strike zone to make him consistent but a few every now and then where he's simply not sure where they're going to go."

It's a great book and has a tremendous amount of game insight. It takes you close to the game, in a way few umpires ever recognize. Check it out.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Trick or Treat Gents!

Quote:
Save it Rut!!! You and I will go toe to toe on 12/15. You can tell me what it's like to win 200+ games over two years and have nothing to show for it. I'll tell you what it's like to win 150 and have the same to show. I'll buy the Sammie's.
We were in a World Series, something the Cubs could not get to. I will look forward to that conversation. I will wear my Cardinal's hat so you will not forget.

Quote:
And oh by the way...letting the O's pick up Sammy was the trade of my lifetime. That slob we had in RF this year almost tripled Sosa's output.

OK, that's it...I'm Cubbied out. How bout those Bengals???
Hee Hee.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

LDUB,

Don't insult the BoSox fans by saying they want to be like the Cubs. Even if the curse wasn't accepted until 1986 it was a "curse" long before that, longer than that goat thing. How can the media invent the BoSox curse and not the Cubs curse? They were both perpetuated by the media. If you and the other Wrigley faithfuls want this thing to change then stop believing it's true. I guess the ChiSox fans could've held onto something like..let's say the 1919 Black Sox.

Fox Valley Blue: I never said Kerry Wood was the best of anything because he's not. Like I said, he had one good year with one great game and nothing since. He's too inconsistent both with pitching and injuries.

Listen Cub fans....you keep sticking to the fact that the Cubs have and will outdraw the Sox and as much as I hate to admit it you're right but the bottom line is you can outdraw us as long as you want but that mere fact doesn't outdraw winning a world championship. Bottom line is, we want something you have, recognition, and you want something we have, a trophy (with temporary recognition).

One more thing FVB. You either do or you don't, there is no such thing as try.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

From J.Rutledge -

"We were in a World Series, something the Cubs could not get to. I will look forward to that conversation. I will wear my Cardinal's hat so you will not forget"

When were you on the team. I looked and didn't see your picture. The Cubs were in the Worls Series, albeit it a very long time ago, but your logic is faulty again. Lastly, I don't think you'll need to remind JC of anything. His memory is very good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spots101-

We have many things that Sox fans will never have.

1) A ball park that is the envy of the league.
2) A ball park that is fan friendly and safe.
3) A team that doesn't look like 50cent clones.
4) A team with a fan base across the country.
5) A major newspaper and television station that promotes even lackluster teams.
6) The dream...

White Sox fans have:

1) A manager they wanted to fire last year.
2) A reputation for drunk and disorderly conduct.
3) A Championship trophy, but no satisfaction and national acceptance.

The whole world watched a fourteen game lead dwindle away. From New York, to Boston and Cleveland, the world laughed at your team. Even their victory was tarnished with bad calls. That is how they will be remembered in 2005, not for leading wire to wire or sweeping the Astros. Champs who needed four outs to win. Yes, I would like to see the Cubs win a Series before I'm gone, but not at the risk of having contempt heaped upon the franchise. How many sports shows outside of Chicago are comparing this team to any of the greatest? That answer is the same as recent Cubs World Series appearances.

Enjoy the moment. It's already f-a--d---i----n-----g.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Don't insult the BoSox fans by saying they want to be like the Cubs.
Why can't I say that? You said the direct opposite. What is the difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Even if the curse wasn't accepted until 1986 it was a "curse" long before that, longer than that goat thing. How can the media invent the BoSox curse and not the Cubs curse?
Do you understand what a curse is? Here is the definition:
Quote:
An appeal or prayer for evil or misfortune to befall someone or something
Sianis sent a telegram to Wrigley saying: "You are going to lose this (1945) World Series and you are never going to go to the World Series again. You are never going to win a World Series again because you insulted my goat."

He wished misfortune on the Cubs. That is a curse. Did Babe Ruth wish misfortune on the Red Sox when he was traded? If not, then it ain't a curse.

The media came up with the idea that since Ruth left the Sox, they have had bad luck. With the Cubs, a man wished misfortune on the team. The media didn't come up with what Sianis did.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
From J.Rutledge -

"We were in a World Series, something the Cubs could not get to. I will look forward to that conversation. I will wear my Cardinal's hat so you will not forget"

When were you on the team. I looked and didn't see your picture. The Cubs were in the Worls Series, albeit it a very long time ago, but your logic is faulty again. Lastly, I don't think you'll need to remind JC of anything. His memory is very good.
I know one thing; the White Sox have been to the World Series more times in your life time than the Cubs have.

Keep trying to hold on to the "Wrigley Field" card. Wow, you pay money so that the owner of your team gives a lot of money to a bunch of players that cannot perform. It must be great to be a Cubs fan.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
From J.Rutledge -

I know one thing; the White Sox have been to the World Series more times in your life time than the Cubs have.

Keep trying to hold on to the "Wrigley Field" card. Wow, you pay money so that the owner of your team gives a lot of money to a bunch of players that cannot perform. It must be great to be a Cubs fan.

Peace
You know one thing...congratulations! Here's your trophy.

What does this have anything to do with whether or not the Sox will remain the red headed step child of the Chicago Baseball Family. You can collect all of the hardware you want, but if no one watches, cares or notices it is all for naught. The Cubs will always be the favored team in the Windy City and suburbs. A great ball park and a team with character, not characters (Does anyone even know what Ozzie says half of the time? The Score and ESPN have a field day with hs sound bites.) tames this nation. I've been all around the world and see Yankee and Cubs caps on smiling faces. The team with the most WS wins and the team with none in almost a century - why is it that they are so beloved? Like you said, it's great to be a Cubs fan!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
From J.Rutledge -

Peace
You know one thing...congratulations! Here's your trophy.

What does this have anything to do with whether or not the Sox will remain the red headed step child of the Chicago Baseball Family. You can collect all of the hardware you want, but if no one watches, cares or notices it is all for naught. The Cubs will always be the favored team in the Windy City and suburbs. A great ball park and a team with character, not characters (Does anyone even know what Ozzie says half of the time? The Score and ESPN have a field day with hs sound bites.) tames this nation. I've been all around the world and see Yankee and Cubs caps on smiling faces. The team with the most WS wins and the team with none in almost a century - why is it that they are so beloved? Like you said, it's great to be a Cubs fan!
I've been to games in 24 major league cities. I've been to Wrigley once, in 2003. The Cubs were stinking up the joint and I noticed something very interesting -- nobody was boo-ing, nobody was in a foul mood. Actually, it seemed as though nobody was really paying attention to the game. As a passionate baseball fan, this attitude (in the box seats -- I would hope the bleachers are a different story) befuddled me.

You can brag about the national following the Cubs have all you want -- most of it is due to the Superstation WGN factor, but you should realize this -- if fans come when the team doesn't win, what 's the incentive for the Cubs to bring a WS trophy home?

And as for ballparks, I'd rather go to one of the newer ones, myself.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I've been to games in 24 major league cities. I've been to Wrigley once, in 2003. The Cubs were stinking up the joint and I noticed something very interesting -- nobody was boo-ing, nobody was in a foul mood. Actually, it seemed as though nobody was really paying attention to the game. As a passionate baseball fan, this attitude (in the box seats -- I would hope the bleachers are a different story) befuddled me.

You can brag about the national following the Cubs have all you want -- most of it is due to the Superstation WGN factor, but you should realize this -- if fans come when the team doesn't win, what 's the incentive for the Cubs to bring a WS trophy home?

And as for ballparks, I'd rather go to one of the newer ones, myself.
I went to my first Cubs game about 4 years ago. This was before Dusty Baker was there and I Pirates were in town. It was amazing how no one was paying attention to the game. No one was talking about why the team was bad or complaining during bad plays. There were 3 Cardinals fans in Cardinals gear and they were talking more baseball than anyone else around. People were on their cell phones talking about things unrelated to the game. People were there to socialize and not watch baseball.

I just find it interesting that all the Cubs fans are here to defend Wrigley Field but do not want to defend why their team really sucks. It is pathetic that Cubs fans still are talking about who is the most loved in the town and they have no trophy at their stadium. Then they have to nerve to talk about calls that were made as more justification for their futility as a Cubs fan. They allowed an incident with their own fan rattles them during a critical point of a game and the Sox should feel upset because some calls went their way. We will be at this same point next year and the Cubs will have the same fate. No championships for another year.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Common refrain that I hear. At Wrigley Field noone is watching the game, it's nothing but a big beer garden etc. etc. Baseball is big business and they could care less who is buying tickets. Don't think for one moment that the White Sox wouldn't love to have a location like Wrigley Field especially if they were guranteed attendance of 3 million plus.

Here's another reason why Wrigley is so popular. What's the highest compliment you can pay to a women at a Sox's game?

Nice tooth!!!!!!!!!!! Just joking and having some fun.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Second game of the 2006 season who will have the higher paid attendance the Cubs or the Sox? Cubs of course and that's what drives Sox Fans crazy.
It doesn't drive this Sox fan crazy one bit. Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction, simply put. The people who go there don't know what's going on. They're there for the socializing and beer. If you turn the lights on at Wrigley Field on a Friday night in January, I guarantee you the place would be packed within an hour. Sixty minutes later those present would still have no clue that a game wasn't occurring.

I find it amusing, though, that the Cubs fans keep bringing up this attendance or "popularity" thing. Personally, you can keep it. I'd take a World Series championship any day! Last time I looked, that was the ultimate goal of a major league baseball team anyway (well, save for one it appears).

Oh, and "always a Cubs town"? I wouldn't be so presumptuous, my friend. If the White Sox maintain at least a few winning seasons, including a few post-season berths here and there, the Cubs will be relegated to that "tourist attraction" status on the north side.

For the record, I'm not one of these anti-Cubs Sox fans who go trolling around; rather, I'm just trying to employ a little common sense and practicality into these otherwise Cubs/Sox debates.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
One question. Where have you White Sox fans been hiding until this season? It took a pennant-winning season to finally draw over 2,000,000. The Cubs went over THREE MILLION last season and this season. And over two million the three previous seasons.
Where are we? Well, we're in school or at work and can't make all the games. Unlike the same unemployed, mostly homosexual (with apologies to my gay friends--I just HAD to get in a Lee Elia moment here) folk who populate Wrigley Field, we actually have things to do other than spend our entire waking lives half-drunk wondering why men in tight pants are running around dropping this little round white ball and throwing it all over the grass.