View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I've been to games in 24 major league cities. I've been to Wrigley once, in 2003. The Cubs were stinking up the joint and I noticed something very interesting -- nobody was boo-ing, nobody was in a foul mood. Actually, it seemed as though nobody was really paying attention to the game. As a passionate baseball fan, this attitude (in the box seats -- I would hope the bleachers are a different story) befuddled me.

You can brag about the national following the Cubs have all you want -- most of it is due to the Superstation WGN factor, but you should realize this -- if fans come when the team doesn't win, what 's the incentive for the Cubs to bring a WS trophy home?

And as for ballparks, I'd rather go to one of the newer ones, myself.
I went to my first Cubs game about 4 years ago. This was before Dusty Baker was there and I Pirates were in town. It was amazing how no one was paying attention to the game. No one was talking about why the team was bad or complaining during bad plays. There were 3 Cardinals fans in Cardinals gear and they were talking more baseball than anyone else around. People were on their cell phones talking about things unrelated to the game. People were there to socialize and not watch baseball.

I just find it interesting that all the Cubs fans are here to defend Wrigley Field but do not want to defend why their team really sucks. It is pathetic that Cubs fans still are talking about who is the most loved in the town and they have no trophy at their stadium. Then they have to nerve to talk about calls that were made as more justification for their futility as a Cubs fan. They allowed an incident with their own fan rattles them during a critical point of a game and the Sox should feel upset because some calls went their way. We will be at this same point next year and the Cubs will have the same fate. No championships for another year.

Peace