Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Sox Fans, You're Still Number Two

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB9
Sox Fans, say what you want about the Cubs. Yea, we're cursed...the baseball gods spoke in 2003.
What's with this cursed crap? That's an excuse. Face it: you guys aren't cursed. You simply suck.

Quote:
What I think is funny is that the respect will never come the Sox way. They will always be second fiddle. And not even a World Series title is going to change that.
"Always," J.C.? Come now, even YOU aren't that foolish and presumptuous to believe that. One World Series championship does not a legacy make, but multiple post-season appearances will relegate the Cubs to their proper place in this town, that being "the other team."

All this Cubs/Sox debating is stupid. There's no need to even discuss anything. All White Sox fans need to say is a simple irrefutable fact: "The White Sox won the World Series."

Case closed.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Trick or Treat Gents!

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB9
How bout those Bengals???
F*** the Bengals, overrated as they are. My Steelers kicked their *** last week anyway.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

We have many things that Sox fans will never have.

1) A ball park that is the envy of the league.
2) A ball park that is fan friendly and safe.
3) A team that doesn't look like 50cent clones.
4) A team with a fan base across the country.
5) A major newspaper and television station that promotes even lackluster teams.
6) The dream...

White Sox fans have:

1) A manager they wanted to fire last year.
2) A reputation for drunk and disorderly conduct.
3) A Championship trophy, but no satisfaction and national acceptance.
I'd take a World Series championship over a packed park, TV audience, newspaper, or any of your other above trivialities. You guys remain content in the asinine belief that popularity, attendance, or other peripheral things makes a difference, for when it comes down to it, the World Series is the ultimate goal.

Quote:
The whole world watched a fourteen game lead dwindle away. From New York, to Boston and Cleveland, the world laughed at your team. Even their victory was tarnished with bad calls. That is how they will be remembered in 2005, not for leading wire to wire or sweeping the Astros.
Oh, puhleeze! They'll easily be remembered as the team that dominated in the post-season like few others; as a team without a single, egotistical idiot who grabbed the spotlight from his teammates; as a team that so many people swore destiny blessed; as a team with pitching so effective that it ranks among Baseball's greatest playoff staff ever; as a team that won the 2005 World Series.

Jealousy and excuse-making isn't going to make your ridiculous comments any more accurate.

Now, work on getting your team into the playoffs so the North and South can meet in the World Series.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A great ball park and a team with character, not characters (Does anyone even know what Ozzie says half of the time? The Score and ESPN have a field day with hs sound bites.) tames this nation.
Does anyone even know what Dusty DOES half the time?

As someone who originally wasn't an Ozzie fan, I'd take him over those lifeless pinheads we've had before (does anyone even remember Jerry Manuel?). Ozzie brings life and fun back to a franchise that could have used it years ago. You folks on the north side ought to try it, maybe as soon as Dusty's done destroying his pitching staff.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UMP25
Quote:
A great ball park and a team with character, not characters (Does anyone even know what Ozzie says half of the time? The Score and ESPN have a field day with hs sound bites.) tames this nation.
Does anyone even know what Dusty DOES half the time?

As someone who originally wasn't an Ozzie fan, I'd take him over those lifeless pinheads we've had before (does anyone even remember Jerry Manuel?). Ozzie brings life and fun back to a franchise that could have used it years ago. You folks on the north side ought to try it, maybe as soon as Dusty's done destroying his pitching staff.
A week or so ago (and I'm paraphrasing) Ozzy was talking to the media and the subject of Dusty Baker came up. Ozzy was basically saying that Baker, when hired, was looked upon as the best thing since "sliced bread" and now he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. Ozzy, goes on to say, someday you'll (referring to the media) think the same about me and try to run me out of town and will have fun doing it.

Ozzy is currently "the flavor of the month" as soon as things go south (as they inevitably do) he'll be ridiculed and made fun of and eventually fired which happens to 99% of all managers.

One more thing you might want to call Jerry up and ask him what would you rather have. 82 dates of the park filled to 99.9% of capacity or half empty (Blue Collar guys and gals of course) seats except when the Sox play the Cubs. Jerry's a bottom line and I think you know the answer.

It's going to be interesting to see if Jerry is going to over pay for Paulie. What with Paulie being the most attractive free agent out there and being seriously pursued by a number of deep pocket teams.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I find it amusing, though, that the Cubs fans keep bringing up this attendance or "popularity" thing. Personally, you can keep it. I'd take a World Series championship any day! Last time I looked, that was the ultimate goal of a major league baseball team anyway (well, save for one it appears).
This thread was started by a someone saying that since the Sox won, they will finally get the respect that they deserve.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

A week or so ago (and I'm paraphrasing) Ozzy was talking to the media and the subject of Dusty Baker came up. Ozzy was basically saying that Baker, when hired, was looked upon as the best thing since "sliced bread" and now he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing.
If you had been paying attention, Ozzie said this because after years of defending Dusty, who had been criticized by Cubs fans and media alike, Dusty turns around and tells people that if the Cardinals or White Sox were in the World Series, there's "no way in hell" that he'd support either one of them. Real classy, Dusty. As a fellow member of our association and a longtime Cubs fan told me, "Dusty's a tool, and yes, a classless idiot to boot."

Quote:

One more thing you might want to call Jerry up and ask him what would you rather have. 82 dates of the park filled to 99.9% of capacity or half empty (Blue Collar guys and gals of course) seats except when the Sox play the Cubs. Jerry's a bottom line and I think you know the answer.
So then it's better to have a park filled to capacity all the time than to have it half empty with a World Series championship? Unbelievable. No wonder you guys won't ever amount to anything more than some tourist hangout for the unemployed, Wrigleyville boys, and other mindless drunkards that frequent that baseball shrine.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I'd take a park that's empty all season long over one that's packed if the former comes with a World Series championship. Anyone who would settle for something else is simply a fool.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

A week or so ago (and I'm paraphrasing) Ozzy was talking to the media and the subject of Dusty Baker came up. Ozzy was basically saying that Baker, when hired, was looked upon as the best thing since "sliced bread" and now he's stupid and doesn't know what he's doing.
If you had been paying attention, Ozzie said this because after years of defending Dusty, who had been criticized by Cubs fans and media alike, Dusty turns around and tells people that if the Cardinals or White Sox were in the World Series, there's "no way in hell" that he'd support either one of them. Real classy, Dusty. As a fellow member of our association and a longtime Cubs fan told me, "Dusty's a tool, and yes, a classless idiot to boot."

Quote:

So then it's better to have a park filled to capacity all the time than to have it half empty with a World Series championship? Unbelievable. No wonder you guys won't ever amount to anything more than some tourist hangout for the unemployed, Wrigleyville boys, and other mindless drunkards that frequent that baseball shrine.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I'd take a park that's empty all season long over one that's packed if the former comes with a World Series championship. Anyone who would settle for something else is simply a fool.
1. I don't believe Dusty ever said anything about beinng for or against the Sox. Cardinals yes because he and LaRussa hate each other.

2. Reading is a skill. What do you think (not what you or I want) Jerry would want? A half empty park or one filled 99.9% capacity? Jerry's a cold blooded bottom line guy just like all the other owner's in baseball. He might just show you this side of him if Paulie proves to be too expensive. I think Jerry would welcome with open arms the tourists, Wrigleyville boys, drunkards etc. as long as they buy a ticket.

This is big business the owners could give a s@@t about what you or I want.

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

This thread was started by a someone saying that since the Sox won, they will finally get the respect that they deserve. [/B][/QUOTE]

Luke, I agree. And everyone knows that they will need to win 2-3 WS's before they get that credit...they're just that irrelevant in the public eye. Kinda like the Patsies in the NFL...no individual superstars, and it took three titles before everyone recognized them for what they are.

And Randy.....save that crap, OK? I'll call ya and we'll finish it over a Goose Island.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
One question. Where have you White Sox fans been hiding until this season? It took a pennant-winning season to finally draw over 2,000,000. The Cubs went over THREE MILLION last season and this season. And over two million the three previous seasons.
Where are we? Well, we're in school or at work and can't make all the games. Unlike the same unemployed, mostly homosexual (with apologies to my gay friends--I just HAD to get in a Lee Elia moment here) folk who populate Wrigley Field, we actually have things to do other than spend our entire waking lives half-drunk wondering why men in tight pants are running around dropping this little round white ball and throwing it all over the grass.
I have the Lee Elia rant as an .mp3. I break down laughing every time I hear it.

Quote:
Originally said by Lee Elia: "The MF don't even work. That's why they're out at the f***ing game. They ought to go out and get a f***ing job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f***ing living. 85% of the f***ing world's working; the other 15 come out here. A f***ing playground for the c***s***ers."

Classic. Just classic.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

"You can brag about the national following the Cubs have all you want -- most of it is due to the Superstation WGN factor, but you should realize this -- if fans come when the team doesn't win, what 's the incentive for the Cubs to bring a WS trophy home?"

Thanks Rich. That's my point. Maybe now they'll believe someone with more that 2000 posts.

Luke: Yes I started this thread with the premise that the Sox will finally get the respect they deserve. I mainly said that to stir the pot cuz I knew it would piss you Cub fans off. Now back to respect. It has been said in this thread that the Sox won't really achieve that respect until they win a few more like the Pats and I can't argue with that. Heck, I just drove back from Mesa this morning and all ESPN radio could talk about was the BoSox and Theo. Look at it this way, if the ChiSox didn't win this year this thread would've never been started. The Sox fans and the team have had our 15 minutes of fame/respect and yes it is fading fast but I'd rather take that 15 minutes over admiration and a place to drink beer any day. Because someone or something can and will take Wrigley from you some day. I don't have any idea when but I do know one thing, some Cub fan will respond to this by saying....There's a typical Sox fan envious of our field. Busch stadium is the latest one to go....who will be next?

And for God's sake let go of this Sianis the goat thing. Well, our's is a REAL curse and Boston's curse was a made up curse. That's why they won and we haven't. Yep, that's our excuse. We will NEVER win anything unless that Sianis guy recants his telegraphed smelly goat curse. If the NBC show Friends was based in Chicago instead of New York I have an idea for a song in the coffeeshop/bar called Murphy's Bleachers....smelly goat, smelly goat, why have you cursed us?

Sorry, was that too mean. I know how us Sox fans can be mean. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of going out and pulling a knife on some Mariner's fan right now cuz that's what we all do. Or better yet, have a beer on me for another Cubs "wait til next year, year".

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

OK, we've come full circle and have collective buy-in. Can we move on???

I'm thirsty...who wants to meet me at the Ram for a Growler? We'll talk Bears.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

2000 posts? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You keep justifying things with the wrong facts. Rich is a nice guy, but how many of those past posts had anything to do with what we are discussing? If he was an expert on Cubs/White Sox relations, I could accept that argument. Do you choose your surgeon by how many cars he owns? That's the same logic.

WGN is a superstation. How does watching the game on TV have anything to do with filling the stadium or maintaining a loyal fan base? If you are watching it on TV, that means an awful lot of people aren't at the park. The only way it gets on is if sponsors pay the ad revenue. It sounds like a whole lot o' Cubs fans are out there. The White Sox are also broadcast on WGN, but I don't seem to see the same reaction.

Doesn't TNT carry the Braves (or is it WTBS). That is a superstation too. Which team is more popular contrywide? ...worldwide??? One team has unbelievable talent that keeps winning for Cox. The other is a perennial bridesmaid. The Cubs still own Chicago. The Cubs convention sold out in fourteen minutes last year. The only Sox Fest that will sell out will be this year. Reinsdorf will hike the prices to rape the fans too.

Life isn't fair, the Cubs are usually average and better liked than a more talented team just to their south. The White Sox had a great year and did something only three other teams have done - led wire to wire and swept the Series. If the Cubs did that, how many White Sox fans would be celebrating the accomplishment? Stop fooling yourself, almost every Cubs fan here said something nice about the White Sox. Who started this thread and what was the tone? That's right, someone seeking redemption for living in the shadows for a very long time. That speaks volumes!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
2000 posts? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? You keep justifying things with the wrong facts. Rich is a nice guy, but how many of those past posts had anything to do with what we are discussing? If he was an expert on Cubs/White Sox relations, I could accept that argument. Do you choose your surgeon by how many cars he owns? That's the same logic.

WGN is a superstation. How does watching the game on TV have anything to do with filling the stadium or maintaining a loyal fan base? If you are watching it on TV, that means an awful lot of people aren't at the park. The only way it gets on is if sponsors pay the ad revenue. It sounds like a whole lot o' Cubs fans are out there. The White Sox are also broadcast on WGN, but I don't seem to see the same reaction.

Doesn't TNT carry the Braves (or is it WTBS). That is a superstation too. Which team is more popular contrywide? ...worldwide??? One team has unbelievable talent that keeps winning for Cox. The other is a perennial bridesmaid. The Cubs still own Chicago. The Cubs convention sold out in fourteen minutes last year. The only Sox Fest that will sell out will be this year. Reinsdorf will hike the prices to rape the fans too.

Life isn't fair, the Cubs are usually average and better liked than a more talented team just to their south. The White Sox had a great year and did something only three other teams have done - led wire to wire and swept the Series. If the Cubs did that, how many White Sox fans would be celebrating the accomplishment? Stop fooling yourself, almost every Cubs fan here said something nice about the White Sox. Who started this thread and what was the tone? That's right, someone seeking redemption for living in the shadows for a very long time. That speaks volumes!
Nope, not an expert on Chicago baseball. Just commenting on your "nationwide" fan base comment. WGN plays a big part. The Braves are one of the more popular teams nationwide because of TBS, but the local draw is crap. That's what happens with 14 consecutive division titles, though -- winning is expected.

Doesn't matter to me if someone has 2000 posts or 20 posts as long as they can write and think.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Relax dude. The 2000 post thing was about experience...something that my 80 posts on this board won't buy. Rich just reiterated something that I said many pages back. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, FVB is right. How 'bout them Bears in first place and just above 500. Last week they were the best allowing the least amount of points. If only they had some offense to go with that defense.

Wait a minute.....I think I just started another firestorm with Packer fans. At least Luke, FVB, WhatWasThatBlue, gordo, Rut, UMP25 and I will be on the same side this time.