The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

One question. Where have you White Sox fans been hiding until this season? It took a pennant-winning season to finally draw over 2,000,000. The Cubs went over THREE MILLION last season and this season. And over two million the three previous seasons.

In the past five seasons, 2001-2005, the Sox totaled 9,655,977. In the same time frame, the Cubs drew 14,705,337. A difference of 5,049,360. And, in a smaller park.

So, enjoy your World Series victory. Just see where you all disappear to when the Pale Hose don't win a pennant.

Bob
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Hey Bob,

Do you call yourself blue cuz of the lack of O2 to the brain? I've said it once and I will say it again. The Sox fans want a winning team on the field. So, they choose to not come to the ballpark when the team sucks in hopes that mgt. will produce a better team.

Cubs fans will show up no matter what. Now, if you owned the Cubs and fans keep showing up day after day, year after year, why would you go out and spend the time and money to produce a better team?

The Tribune is making money on the ambience of a historic ballpark. What happens to the fans when they have to do away with Wrigley? What goes up must come down.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Hey Bob,

Do you call yourself blue cuz of the lack of O2 to the brain? I've said it once and I will say it again. The Sox fans want a winning team on the field. So, they choose to not come to the ballpark when the team sucks in hopes that mgt. will produce a better team.

Cubs fans will show up no matter what. Now, if you owned the Cubs and fans keep showing up day after day, year after year, why would you go out and spend the time and money to produce a better team?

The Tribune is making money on the ambience of a historic ballpark. What happens to the fans when they have to do away with Wrigley? What goes up must come down.
1) Actually, your blood is blue because of the oxygen!

2) Even when the Sox were winning in June, you could still find plenty of tickets at face value. Hell, I was at a party in one of the boxes and the two boxes on either side were empty. We were first base extneded in the lowest level - incredible view! Corporate boxes with no one in them...they build extra seats across from Wrigley in order to accomodate all who want to see the team.

3) The answer to your first question is...one world series, baby! You wouldn't be able to by a ticket at twice the price the following season.

4) The answer to your second question is the most telling. Other teams love having the Cubs in town. Legions of fans sell out those places in case you've been comatose for the last decade. The Cell is full when the Cubs fans pack it. The day after the series, "Get your free seats, right here. C'mon, who wants two?"

5) What goes up must come down? Is that a prelude to next year's White Sox team? Wrigley is an icon and protected by the Historic Buildings Act. Old Comiskey was a dump in a slum neighborhood. Now, you've got a championship ball team playing in a half empty new park, in a slum neighborhood. When you pull into Wrigleyville, people roll down the windows to hear the sounds and smell the food. When I get off the expressway to go to 35th and Shields, we roll 'em up and lock 'em. I'll take some drunk Cub fan pissing on a tree over a guy with a knife trying to steal my car. Wrigley will be standing long after you're in the ground. The Cubs probably won't have a championship either, but we'll have a team that we actually like and admire. Perpetual losers refers both to our team and apparently, Chicago White Sox fans.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

When was there a guy with a knife trying to steal your car?? Did that really happen??

How about you fill everyone in on that little incident that REALLY happened either last year or two years ago when a guy was shot right out front of the "friendly confines". Doesn't seem to friendly now does it??

Been to a game lately? Are those nets underneath the upper deck there to catch butterflies?? And god forbid you have seats waaaaaaayyyyy under the upper deck. Where'd that fly ball go? Is it home run....wait..nope..I see Alou throwin' a fit though.

That's all ya got is Wrigley. Ya got no team. How long you Cubs fans gonna hold on to that? Stop showin' up for games and THEN AND ONLY THEN will management give you a team you so desperately need.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about you fill everyone in on that little incident that REALLY happened either last year or two years ago when a guy was shot right out front of the "friendly confines". Doesn't seem to friendly now does it??
hahaha, you would mention that, and you would consider that incident to tarnish the "friendly confines" title. thats honestly stupid.

rememeber laz diaz, and tom gamboa? those two situations were probably the worst fan situations ive seen in baseball. only that would happen on the south side though.

(no, eric dybaz or whoever the one scumbag was, is not a cubs fan. that was a joke)
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:34pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWL
Quote:

Not that it really matters to me. But why was game 4 so special? Didn't the Padres win the Series in 5 games. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
PWL,

It's simple: Game 4 was the only game that I had a ticket for. It happened to be the most exciting game of the entire series, because of the HR by Steve Garvey to win the game in the bottom of the 9th. This is why it is special to Padres fans.

Game 5, which was the following day, was when they won the Pennant, with the last play being the one-hopper to Puff Nettles to Alan Wiggins for the force-out.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:06pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
BTW, didn't Leon Durham pull a Bill Buckner in that Series?
Sort of. Leon's was a much harder hit ball, and a tougher chance. Billy Buck's was a Little League Minors grounder in comparison.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah Brian that was embarrassing. To this day I still don't understand how they came out of that pile walking. Those players should've had a hayday with that father/son duo. But at least those 2 morons didn't shoot someone.

Didn't a fan at Wrigley grab the hat of a bench pitcher or catcher down the 1st base line last year causing a ruckus in the stands and a lady got clocked in the schnoz with a chair? Yeah, real classy move there.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah Brian that was embarrassing. To this day I still don't understand how they came out of that pile walking. Those players should've had a hayday with that father/son duo. But at least those 2 morons didn't shoot someone.

Didn't a fan at Wrigley grab the hat of a bench pitcher or catcher down the 1st base line last year causing a ruckus in the stands and a lady got clocked in the schnoz with a chair? Yeah, real classy move there.
yeah the chair toss was a different situation, but still, if a chair was tossed into the stands by a player in the visiting bullpen at wrigley...how would that pertain to the fans? besides the fact that some idiot took a guys hat, which is stupid, a lady getting hit with a chair is the visiting teams problem.

if we are going to be talking about people being shot, which is asinine in the first place, remember that the cops found someone buried near (near as in very near) US Cellular not too long ago?
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

My bad on the chair tossing mixup.

The buried body thing had nothing to do with a fan or baseball for that matter. That was a mob thing and the city of Chicago as a whole is infamous for that. Can you come up with anything better than that?

Hypothetically, if that chair was tossed by a player at Wrigley it was instigated by a fan grabbing a hat just like the fight in the right field stands was caused by a fan (grabbing a hat). So, that's how it's connected.

Maybe the buried body was a hit done during the '59 series when a Sox fan was taunting a Cub fan for at least making it to the big show.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Last year against the Seattle Mariners -
I was invited to go to a game with some other business friends. The game was fantastic, Ichiro went 5-5 and received a standing ovation after his fifth hit. Fireworks after the game...nice food...we really thought everything was nice. Three of us left together and waited for eternity for the traffic to move along. As we neared the expressway, we were still inching along when a guy approached the driver's window. He held out his hand looking for money and my friend waved him off. He should have rolled up the window, because the guy pulled out a knife and told him to get out of the car. I presume he was a Mariner's fan, because my friend was wearing a sox jersey. That could be the only reason why that happened, right?

Did you forget the Dad who was attacked with an iron bar and left brain damaged? He was walking with his family back to the car when he was hit from behind. How about the shooting between the LK and Cobras a year ago? That was during a game. These freaks walked out of a game and shot it out in the parking lot. How many gangs fight for turf control around Wrigley? There are hundreds more incidents of stupidity at the Cell. Get your facts right, two different sets of fan hooliganism, half empty stands throughout a championship year and the need for Kevlar when you journey to the Cell (an appropriate nickname to most of the fans). Wrigley is a beer garden, no fireworks, no batting cages nor showers to cool off. Cub fans go to see a baseball game up close. They cheer for the boys who like to sign autographs and don't whine about playing time. No member of the Cubs looks like 50cent or owns a rap label. Maybe that's why grandmas and little kids cheer for them.

When the Cubs played the Marlins for the LCS, the south side had free beer for Marlin fans, served up booze for every Cubs loss and derided them for making it when the Sox were horrible. Did you see much of that going on this year? Nah, Cubs fans bought tickets (yes, they were available) and went to watch baseball. As fans of the game, we appreciate how special that team was. The north side showed class and restraint, cheering on LaSalle when Ozzie went by. Look around next summer, how many Financial District power brokers have Cubs gear? It's called class and maturity. We respect the game and appreciate the victors. We'd rather watch the Sox win the Series than the Astros. Some day you'll understand why.

Yes, Wrigley is old and in need of repair. The netting insures that the full house doesn't get injured. Built before architectural safety codes, Wrigley and Fenway pack them in anyway. Both parks have terrific atmosphere, great sitelines and people feel safe going there. (Didn't you need oxygen to sit in the top rows when the Cell opened? They realized ther mistake and cut those rows off!) In case you missed it, the Tribune Company is in a battle to alter Wrigley. They can't because of preservation codes and double-dealing alderman. When was it that Wrigley was being torn down?
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey Bob,

You just proved my point. Sox "fans" are front runners. A TRUE fan supports his/her team no matter what their record is. The Sox can't filll their park, and the Cubs arec expanding the seating.

I remember going to Old Comiskey Park when the Yankees (DiMaggio) and the BoSox (Williams) were in town, and they wouldn't even open the upper decks, because the payers outnumbered the fans in the stands. The Sox in those days were pathetic because the Comiskeys were the cheapest owners in baseball, and wouldn't sign high-priced players. For years, the only real MLB players they had were Luke Appling and Ted Lyons.

So, keep your cave clean, because as soon as the South Siders aren't in a pennant race, you'll have somewhere to hide again.

Bob
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:52pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluezebra
Quote:

I remember going to Old Comiskey Park when the Yankees (DiMaggio) and the BoSox (Williams) were in town, and they wouldn't even open the upper decks, because the payers outnumbered the fans in the stands. The Sox in those days were pathetic because the Comiskeys were the cheapest owners in baseball, and wouldn't sign high-priced players. For years, the only real MLB players they had were Luke Appling and Ted Lyons.

Bob
Dang, you're old!
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:

yeah the chair toss was a different situation, but still, if a chair was tossed into the stands by a player in the visiting bullpen at wrigley...how would that pertain to the fans? besides the fact that some idiot took a guys hat, which is stupid, a lady getting hit with a chair is the visiting teams problem.

if we are going to be talking about people being shot, which is asinine in the first place, remember that the cops found someone buried near (near as in very near) US Cellular not too long ago?
Chicago. Two hours to fly there. Two hours on the ramp to taxi to your gate. I went to Old Cominsky Park. It had that dead buried body smell. Maybe that's what it was? Priceless!!!
The name was COMISKEY PARK. The old Chicago Stockyards was located not too far from the park, and though it closed years ago, the stink still permeates the neighborhood.

Bob
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sox Fans, You're Still Number Two

This is hysterical. As a diehard Cubs fan, I gotta say hats off to the Sox...it was your year of destiny. Never before have I seen a team of .260 hitters dominate like the Sox did this year. Never before has a team capitalized on every officiating blunder like the Sox. To all Sox fans, enjoy it while I'm drowning in envy.

But I'm afraid that's where it ends. I respect the Sox no more than the 2002 Angels, or the 2003 Marlins. Above average teams who got hot at the right time, with no superstars on their team, and fell back to mediocrity shortly after their day in the sun.

Sox Fans, say what you want about the Cubs. Yea, we're cursed...the baseball gods spoke in 2003. It was supposed to be the Cubs in '03, Bosox in '04, Chisox in '05. All suffering's going to come to an end! But even the Cubs found a way to **** that up. So enjoy it while you can, because we thought the Bears would win more than one, and we thought the Jordan years would never end.

What I think is funny is that the respect will never come the Sox way. They will always be second fiddle. And not even a World Series title is going to change that.