View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Second game of the 2006 season who will have the higher paid attendance the Cubs or the Sox? Cubs of course and that's what drives Sox Fans crazy.
It doesn't drive this Sox fan crazy one bit. Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction, simply put. The people who go there don't know what's going on. They're there for the socializing and beer. If you turn the lights on at Wrigley Field on a Friday night in January, I guarantee you the place would be packed within an hour. Sixty minutes later those present would still have no clue that a game wasn't occurring.

I find it amusing, though, that the Cubs fans keep bringing up this attendance or "popularity" thing. Personally, you can keep it. I'd take a World Series championship any day! Last time I looked, that was the ultimate goal of a major league baseball team anyway (well, save for one it appears).

Oh, and "always a Cubs town"? I wouldn't be so presumptuous, my friend. If the White Sox maintain at least a few winning seasons, including a few post-season berths here and there, the Cubs will be relegated to that "tourist attraction" status on the north side.

For the record, I'm not one of these anti-Cubs Sox fans who go trolling around; rather, I'm just trying to employ a little common sense and practicality into these otherwise Cubs/Sox debates.