The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

What is this clinic like and who is it intended for? Is this for folks who wish to umpire NCAA?

Thanks
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Due to conflicts with facilities and a NASCR event, the Desert Classic has been canceled for this year.

It is for any umpire who wishes to improve. I have seen high school, college and even five week pro-school graduates in attendance.

When I went every attendee improved, even a former indie minor leaguer.

The Florida Classic is available in January.

The Desert Classic was a full week, (a couple of days longer than the Florida Classic) of hard work. in both the class room and on the field. Each day was a full day with no BS'ing taking time away from instruction. The instructors were all working pro umpires who knew how to teach as well as peform.

I have been to a Gerry Davis clinic, ABUA clinics and even a week-end camp with Doug Harvey years and years ago. Nothing compares to one of Jim Evans' Classics.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Due to conflicts with facilities and a NASCR event, the Desert Classic has been canceled for this year.

It is for any umpire who wishes to improve. I have seen high school, college and even five week pro-school graduates in attendance.

When I went every attendee improved, even a former indie minor leaguer.

The Florida Classic is available in January.

The Desert Classic was a full week, (a couple of days longer than the Florida Classic) of hard work. in both the class room and on the field. Each day was a full day with no BS'ing taking time away from instruction. The instructors were all working pro umpires who knew how to teach as well as peform.

I have been to a Gerry Davis clinic, ABUA clinics and even a week-end camp with Doug Harvey years and years ago. Nothing compares to one of Jim Evans' Classics.
Jim is the chief instructor at a Fort Worth clinic the first weekend in November. Space is still available. Click this link for full details:
http://baseball.officiating.com/x/article/4564
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

March

Or if you want to go to an Evans Clinic next "spring" we have openings in Portland, OR for the March, 3, 4, & 5 where Jim will also be the lead instructor.

T
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Jim Evans Classics and Umpire School

I note your question about what it is like to be at Umpire School. I attended both the Florida Classic and the 5 week Pro School this year. I wrote a detailed article which can be found on my website at http://www.thomashaywood.com along with more photos.
Regards

Thomas
Edinburgh, Scotland