The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

All;

I just went over to McGriffs and saw a thread where Bob Jenkins says that there are two different versions of OBR. (TSN and NBC) This is ghastly. OBR is disorganized enough without there being two versions.

Bob mentions that one of the differences is in rule 8.06 and he cannot remember where the other difference(s) are. Does anyone know where these other difference(s) are? This may be a question for Carl.

Peter
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

I just went over to McGriffs...
Peter
And all this time I thought you were above McGriffs...I'm disappointed.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

I just went over to McGriffs...
Peter
And all this time I thought you were above McGriffs...I'm disappointed.
I would have assumed that Bob was too! Aaaahhh the efforts that some go to, to help the needy. Way to go Bob!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Where is Carl, O great and wonderful rules master of infinite wisdom.

Since Carl is AWOL, perhaps I should have asked the know-it-all Windbag 'er Windy.

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking but he has friends

And Windy can ask all his buddies like Joe Brinkman, et al. And then recite his resume so we show the appropriate amount of awe and respect at his vast knowledge and mastery of the english language...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:56am

Boys, boys, boys...you should know better than to throw stones when the glass house you live in is within reach.

The OPRC updates rules every season. They are the sole authority governing the rules of Major League Baseball.

Is suggest that you check the publishing date of whatever manual you are looking at. If it does not say "2004", there will be rules differences.

Triple H - You did answer the questions from our last go around. You can't still be lickin your wounds from the mauling this Fed/JUCO wannabe gave you, could you?

Alan,
I had more respect for your posts before you were flagged for "piling on" - that is what people of lesser talent do.
I've made plenty of tackles in my life. Jumping on afterward is for cowards. Joe Brinkman didn't teach me that, life did.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Boys, boys, boys...you should know better than to throw stones when the glass house you live in is within reach.

The OPRC updates rules every season. They are the sole authority governing the rules of Major League Baseball.

Is suggest that you check the publishing date of whatever manual you are looking at. If it does not say "2004", there will be rules differences.

Triple H - You did answer the questions from our last go around. You can't still be lickin your wounds from the mauling this Fed/JUCO wannabe gave you, could you?

Alan,
I had more respect for your posts before you were flagged for "piling on" - that is what people of lesser talent do.
I've made plenty of tackles in my life. Jumping on afterward is for cowards. Joe Brinkman didn't teach me that, life did.
Windbag;

You have not read the question or you have not examined the thread on McGriffs. There are two different versions of OBR, one put out by NBC and the other put out by TSN. Do you have a reading problem?

I asked about the differences between the two versions of OBR. Bob is aware of some of the differences. I would bet that Carl could answer the question is detail and about how the differences came to be. It is not a difference about publishing dates, either. You showed your ignorance by making that statement.

You also have spelling errors in your post as I almost certainly do in this post. However, I was able to get by those errors and conclude that you were ignorant of the issue being discussed. Carl knows the answer and Windbag does not. I thought that you were the expert on everything about baseball, Windbag.

If I took a mauling as you claim, how come posters are making fun of you, rather than me? You are delusional, Windbag.

Speaking of cowards and folks living in glass houses, cowards hide behind pseudonyms. Everyone knows my name, but no one here knows the cowardly Windbag. He is too embarrassed to show his real name for fear that his so called resume will be exposed as a fake.

Peter
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:57am

Was it imperative that you copy and paste my entire post in order to respond? Do you think that others would not be able to follow along? If you are attempting to write to make people laugh, you should return to authoring articles for Officiating.com. Wait a minute...you can't!

You are correct in asserting taht I did not go to McGriff's to read the post. I didn't feel the need to do so in order to answer the question. There are multiple versions of OBR, Mr. Rocket Scientist. The Official Rules of Baseball are authorized by the Major League OPRC and interpreted worldwide. When we had American and National Leagues, we had separate interps in the same league. We still use them for interleague play. In other countries, some of the most basic guidelines are changed. In the United States, we have multiple publishers issuing "THE OBR", and they vary depending on editing. If you had ever worked in a professional ball game, you would know this. You claimed to have attended professional school. Which course books were you issued? We were told to dismiss anything that wasn't part of the PBUC system. (That is what it was called back then.) I could go to a book store now and find several different rule books for baseball. All would claim that they are official.

As for the mauling, I believe that several people just sat back and watched - laughed at you, but watched you get humiliated by a Fed/JUCO wannabe. I told you it would be fun watching you get crushed. Be careful what you wish for, Einstein.

Lastly, if you are referring to "lickin" instead of "lickin'" you would be accurate. I neglected the apostrophe, while you neglected logic and brevity.

You are still hung up on my use of pseudonym for this board. Get over it, you are not that clever. I'm not for accolades or hoping that an assignor in my area will see how intelligently I write. My schedule is just fine without it. Finally, you might want to abandon the "His High Holiness" moniker. Relying on others to rule for you or provide necessary information does not convey a sense of superiority. You might want to try "Altar Boy" because you just got screwed again.

Total time to type this response: 6 minutes

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Action Director

Sharing Popcorn

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Was it imperative that you copy and paste my entire post in order to respond? Do you think that others would not be able to follow along? If you are attempting to write to make people laugh, you should return to authoring articles for Officiating.com. Wait a minute...you can't!

You are correct in asserting taht I did not go to McGriff's to read the post. I didn't feel the need to do so in order to answer the question. There are multiple versions of OBR, Mr. Rocket Scientist. The Official Rules of Baseball are authorized by the Major League OPRC and interpreted worldwide. When we had American and National Leagues, we had separate interps in the same league. We still use them for interleague play. In other countries, some of the most basic guidelines are changed. In the United States, we have multiple publishers issuing "THE OBR", and they vary depending on editing. If you had ever worked in a professional ball game, you would know this. You claimed to have attended professional school. Which course books were you issued? We were told to dismiss anything that wasn't part of the PBUC system. (That is what it was called back then.) I could go to a book store now and find several different rule books for baseball. All would claim that they are official.

As for the mauling, I believe that several people just sat back and watched - laughed at you, but watched you get humiliated by a Fed/JUCO wannabe. I told you it would be fun watching you get crushed. Be careful what you wish for, Einstein.

Lastly, if you are referring to "lickin" instead of "lickin'" you would be accurate. I neglected the apostrophe, while you neglected logic and brevity.

You are still hung up on my use of pseudonym for this board. Get over it, you are not that clever. I'm not for accolades or hoping that an assignor in my area will see how intelligently I write. My schedule is just fine without it. Finally, you might want to abandon the "His High Holiness" moniker. Relying on others to rule for you or provide necessary information does not convey a sense of superiority. You might want to try "Altar Boy" because you just got screwed again.

Total time to type this response: 6 minutes

What about this one in your first post Windbag:

"Is suggest that you check the publishing date of whatever manual you are looking at. If it does not say "2004", there will be rules differences."

Were you writing Ebonics here? You also ended the sentence with a preposition.

You also have a spelling error and at least two grammatical errors in your current post. I quoted the whole thing for amusement.

The specific question that I asked concerned the differences between NBC and TSN versions of OBR. You have gone off on a tangent but failed to answer the question. Do you have a reading problem? Or do you not know the answer and cannot admit that you are ignorant/ The great wizard would have answered the question. You, on the other hand, have produced a bunch of BS with no answer.

That is what Rut does. He attempts to dazzle us with BS without answering the specifics. His attempts are as pathetic and as long winded as your posts.

The question again Windy:

What are the specific differences between the NBC and TSN versions of OBR? One is in rule 8.06. Bob Jenkins believes that there is one other difference but he does not know where it is.

BTW, the difference in rule 8.06 is in the wording, not the interpretation so I have a second question:

If there are other differences in wording, are the interpretations still the same? I'll bet the great Wizard would have an answer and the history to go with it. What about the Windbag?

Peter

[Edited by His High Holiness on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 11:38 AM]
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

As someone fairly new to this umpire game, could someone be so kind as to tell me what NBC and TSN stand for in relation to OBR.

Thanks.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
As someone fairly new to this umpire game, could someone be so kind as to tell me what NBC and TSN stand for in relation to OBR.
Kaliix;

National Baseball Congress (NBC), The Sporting News (TSN)

Each of them publish a version of OBR. Despite the Windbag's assertion that there are many variations, I have been unable to find any other other versions of the rules calling themselves "Official Baseball Rules."

Both the NBC and TSN versions of the rules say in their preface that they are for use by professional leagues. The NBC version states that it is also used by American Legion, Stan Musial, and a few other leagues that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Windy is correct that the American and National Leagues had different interpretations of the rules. However, he has implied that they used different rule books, which is not true. The actual written rules are exactly the same.

In pro school, we did not have to worry about these different interpretations because the minor leagues all used the same interpretations. You had to get to the bigs before these differences played a part. The only one that I can remember (other than DH) was regarding intentional interference at second base when breaking up a double play.

Peter

[Edited by His High Holiness on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 02:11 PM]
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

WCB said,

"When we had American and National Leagues, we had separate interps in the same league. We still use them for interleague play."

Does this mean that I missed that WCB has increased his resume to include that he works MLB?

Just wondered.

Tee
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Peter.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 02:34pm

Tee,

I took English classes a long time ago. Back then we were taught something called "the collective we".

"We went to war in 1941."
"We won the Super Bowl in 1985."
"We have no business pretending that we can read."

That last one might strike a chord.
If not, I suggest you read some of the posts that include my work history. I would use the word "resumé", but you keep confusing it with "resume".

My granddaughter has a Phonics book I can borrow.
Do they still accept packages at your prison?
I bet you are a favorite on your tier; with the open mouth and dragging knuckles, I mean, you are a poster child for GEDs. I hope that book will help you obtain yours.

WCB
Closed Thread