View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 03:23pm

Of course you do...no one wants to be called names or have their opinions challenged. But, as umpires, that is what happens to us on almost every call.

Of course you appreciate having more experienced umpires help you along and pave the way for a better future. Not too many people want to take the challenging route. I had mentors and still rely on my partners for challenging me and keeping me focused. But, there is a thing called “Tough Love” and it is not a warm and fuzzy system. If you are confident enough to come here and present an opinion, be strong enough to handle the criticism. Learn to defend your position and be tactful enough to accept assistance. These are things that my parents taught me and I’m certain you were told something similar.

Officials aren’t here to be coddled. Toughen up and know that you may be the only one that thinks you are right. I’ve faced that music many times in my life. Some times I’ve been proven correct and other times I’ve had to do some soul searching.

I’m not surprised to see that you respect those that help you. respect is a two way street, though. I’ve learned far more in my life from those that helped me, rather than those who stood in my way. But, the lessons I learned from those that made it tough, shaped me and made a difference. Don’t rely on the kindness of the world. Rely on your desire, talent and freedom allow. That sounds like an ancient Chinese proverb, and it may be. But don’t begrudge those at the top from wanting to stay there. Be strong enough to join them.