View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
As someone fairly new to this umpire game, could someone be so kind as to tell me what NBC and TSN stand for in relation to OBR.
Kaliix;

National Baseball Congress (NBC), The Sporting News (TSN)

Each of them publish a version of OBR. Despite the Windbag's assertion that there are many variations, I have been unable to find any other other versions of the rules calling themselves "Official Baseball Rules."

Both the NBC and TSN versions of the rules say in their preface that they are for use by professional leagues. The NBC version states that it is also used by American Legion, Stan Musial, and a few other leagues that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Windy is correct that the American and National Leagues had different interpretations of the rules. However, he has implied that they used different rule books, which is not true. The actual written rules are exactly the same.

In pro school, we did not have to worry about these different interpretations because the minor leagues all used the same interpretations. You had to get to the bigs before these differences played a part. The only one that I can remember (other than DH) was regarding intentional interference at second base when breaking up a double play.

Peter

[Edited by His High Holiness on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 02:11 PM]