View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Of course you do...no one wants to be called names or have their opinions challenged. But, as umpires, that is what happens to us on almost every call.

Of course you appreciate having more experienced umpires help you along and pave the way for a better future. Not too many people want to take the challenging route. I had mentors and still rely on my partners for challenging me and keeping me focused. But, there is a thing called “Tough Love” and it is not a warm and fuzzy system. If you are confident enough to come here and present an opinion, be strong enough to handle the criticism. Learn to defend your position and be tactful enough to accept assistance. These are things that my parents taught me and I’m certain you were told something similar.

Officials aren’t here to be coddled. Toughen up and know that you may be the only one that thinks you are right. I’ve faced that music many times in my life. Some times I’ve been proven correct and other times I’ve had to do some soul searching.

I’m not surprised to see that you respect those that help you. respect is a two way street, though. I’ve learned far more in my life from those that helped me, rather than those who stood in my way. But, the lessons I learned from those that made it tough, shaped me and made a difference. Don’t rely on the kindness of the world. Rely on your desire, talent and freedom allow. That sounds like an ancient Chinese proverb, and it may be. But don’t begrudge those at the top from wanting to stay there. Be strong enough to join them.
You live in a different world than I do. I could care less if a fan wants to challenge my opinion, so be it. I am confident enough to deal with the challenges of coaches, but understand it should be different in this forum. We are a family of officials!! We seek help from one another. It is not necessary to belittle each other.

Challenging route? You lost me here. Asking for assistance means you are not willing to be challenged? Trying to interpret rules by sharing with other more experienced officials means that I am not willing to be challenged? Your logic escapes me. I hope you will take the time to explain to me.

Tough love? WCB I am not a junkie that needs to kick the habit. I am willing to handle criticism, but it is not necessary in this faternity of officials to be disrespectful to one another. Remember, we are all in the same boat, facing the coaches and fans of the world. We are a brotherhood!!

WCB, I have raised two children very sucessfully. Both are exceptional students. No problems with drugs, sex, etc. Guess what? My wife and I did it with a heavy dose of positive reinforcement. Do we have to dicipline them? Sure, but I can do it CONSTRUCTIVELY. No need to belittle or demean. No reason to insult.

Some of the things you say or true. I am a bit thinskinned on this board. But I believe it is not that I cannot handle criticism, I think it is in the way it is delivered.

Please think back to your childhood. Did Mom and Dad insult you or did Mom and Dad guide you. If you were a respectful child that wanted to learn, I am quite sure that "tough love" was not one of your parents avenues of learning.

I'm sure some of the people on this board read my comments and think I am some kind of wimp. That is fine. I would rather live in a world were respect is admired, than be Garth. (sorry Garth, but you take pride in being the way you are).