Action Director

Sharing Popcorn

Peace
"My resume is bigger than your resume!"

"Nope, MY resume is MUCH bigger than your your resume!"

"Is not!"

"Is too!"

Hate to tell ya, guys, but......

Signed: JR (aka- another nameless little pissant(tm), as the Editor-in-Chief-For-Life has labelled us)
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
[QUOTE]Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

I just went over to McGriffs and saw a thread where Bob Jenkins says that there are two different versions of OBR. (TSN and NBC) This is ghastly. OBR is disorganized enough without there being two versions.

Bob mentions that one of the differences is in rule 8.06 and he cannot remember where the other difference(s) are. Does anyone know where these other difference(s) are? This may be a question for Carl.

Peter
[/QUOTE I know the 8.06 difference though it's not really a difference but a clarification. TSN is the version posted at MLB and it says on the second trip to the mound to the same pitcher in the half inning, the "pitcher is removed." The NBC says: "removed from the mound." At that level, he may return to the game.

However, in the NBC Southern Regional, where I was the UIC for about 10 years, we used the TSN pitcher rule -- without any problems.

Sad to say, I cannot find any of my NBC rule books. On the off chance there is another difference, I've ordered one and will check it out.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Tee,

I took English classes a long time ago. Back then we were taught something called "the collective we".

"We went to war in 1941."
"We won the Super Bowl in 1985."
"We have no business pretending that we can read."

That last one might strike a chord.
If not, I suggest you read some of the posts that include my work history. I would use the word "resumé", but you keep confusing it with "resume".

My granddaughter has a Phonics book I can borrow.
Do they still accept packages at your prison?
I bet you are a favorite on your tier; with the open mouth and dragging knuckles, I mean, you are a poster child for GEDs. I hope that book will help you obtain yours.

WCB
You must be drinking again Windy, because your post is unintelligible. Tee was making fun of you. That is called humor and it is wasted on socially inept human beings like yourself. Lots of folks have made fun of you lately and you don't realize it. You've lost your grip on reality. It's time for you to check in at the Betty Ford Clinic.

So you have a granddaughter who reads. That must make you 50-60 years old at least. Exactly when did you go to Brinkman's school and get a job in the minors.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 07:40pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills

When I'm in a "nerd" or "wannabe" frame of mind , I like to yank the chains of the players by telling them the DH rule is exactly the same for both the AL and NL (i.e., any league may elect to use the DH rule; it's just that the AL has elected to do so and the NL has not.)
I like it, Jim.
Thanks.
mick
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Tee,

I took English classes a long time ago. Back then we were taught something called "the collective we".

If not, I suggest you read some of the posts that include my work history. I would use the word "resumé", but you keep confusing it with "resume".

I bet you are a favorite on your tier; with the open mouth and dragging knuckles, I mean, you are a poster child for GEDs. I hope that book will help you obtain yours.

WCB
First - don't knock GEDs. Some of the finest Americans I know have GEDs and have shed their blood, sweat and tears to ensure that you have the freedom that you enjoy today.

What happened to the poster that offered insightful info on rules, techniques and lessons learned? Your comments have begun to sound like that other knucklehead from the windy city.

As T says - lah me!

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
Tee,

WCB
First - don't knock GEDs. Some of the finest Americans I know have GEDs and have shed their blood, sweat and tears to ensure that you have the freedom that you enjoy today.

What happened to the poster that offered insightful info on rules, techniques and lessons learned? Your comments have begun to sound like that other knucklehead from the windy city.

As T says - lah me!
Oops! Tee is quoting me. "Lah, me!" is my internet phrase, borrowed from the riverboat captain in Death on the Nile. He makes the remark when Poiroit finds a cobra in his cabin, which Colonel Race (David Nixen) kills with his sword cane.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Someone call me when Windy has something constructive to say. His post are basically nothing but personnal bashings anymore. Anyone that has to brag about who they know and what they have done generally means they have nothing to back it up.
I know someone who has called a couple different pro-football leagues, been an evaluator for the Big 8 and has a resume' a mile long and does 0 bragging about it. He has something that Windy will hopefully have one day. It is called class.

I always thought "we" was collective. If it wasn't then it would be you or I. Unless it is oui, which is a horse of a differnt color..

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 11:54am

Cowboyfan 1 -
You really must go back and see how this began.
What seems like an eon ago, I took umbrage at a statement that condemned "Big Dogs" - the guys that get the best games and have the most influence. I said that most of us got there by busting our butts and proving our worth. Further, some of us have taken it upon ourselves to invest in Professional School and the best equipment. We attend and instruct at workshops and try to mentor those with similar aspirations. Some “Big Dogs” dream of cracking the big leagues, while others rule their domain with impunity. Almost every association has a “Big Dog” - someone who is more accomplished and acts as the “go to guy” for questions. I have never assumed this moniker, but probably qualify. I was amused by those that belittled our achievements as a**kissing and political play. Thus, began the “my resumé” is bigger than yours. Because I work a certain level of baseball and take pride in it, others have lit their torches and rallied their cohorts. Imagine my chagrin when one of my friends recognizes me from these exchanges and asks why I bother to try to prove myself to those that will never understand that life rewards some more than others.

When the name calling began, I was more than up to the challenge. Some members said that I must have something to hide, because of the nom de net I chose. Yet, they canÂ’t understand why I would reveal my name to the very people that are so angry at someone they have never met. The logic eludes me. I have offered plenty of helpful advice and encouragement here. I have also engaged in some pretty heated commentary. At the end of the day, some things remained unchanged. My schedule remains top notch and my sleep goes unencumbered. I come to this site for amusement - occasionally I will learn a new technique or see something that opens my eyes. A funny thing though, a couple of members that claim extensive knowledge and experience seem to use this site to stir the pot rather than actually offer advice or answer a question. You know who I am talking about - one feels free to post his accomplishments and talk about his latest feat. The other has made flip flopping an artform. One day he claims that he is an enemy of the Editor and the next he is on his knees at the shrine.

IÂ’m not sure why you have an axe to grind with me. IÂ’ve read your posts on this and the other sports boards. You know that anyone who takes a position here is subject to scrutiny. IÂ’ve taken some pretty sensitive positions and maintained some controversial opinions. As officials we should be used to having our decisions challenged. Name calling doesnÂ’t bother me, my skin is too thick.

I know many accomplished officials and can claim friends at the highest levels. I’ve worked with umpires who have worked MLB and others who are on their first games. Some of these guys are humble, but ego plays a huge part in most of their lives. They would never have achieved that level without that confidence you find abhorrent. “The Greatest” didn’t need to brag about being good, because everyone told him he was. Yet, Muhammad Ali showed the world that if you back it up, you can talk. None of these guys has ever set foot on a ball field with me. They asked for my experience, I provided it and now they are flinging stones up the hill. I’ve got my plate gear on, so hurl away. I learned a long time ago how to take a direct hit. None of theirs is even near the zone yet.

Bob Lyle -
Considering that B-F has long been sold and I have referred to the PBUC system many times, I would have figured that my age would have been more apparent. ItÂ’s funny, more than a few people assumed that I was younger. I guess you are only as old as you feel and I feel like playing golf, right now.

Altar Boy -
For some reason, the moderators felt compelled to delete my response to you. That's too bad, you would have liked it.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Big Dogs??

This is all the very reason I asked the question a bunch of months ago about "Big Dogs" on the other site. You have a bunch of people that claim to work some of the top levels in baseball and now they are questioning each others schedules and accomplishments, without meeting each other and without knowing each other. It is quite humorous if you ask me. Instead of just disagreeing or understanding that things change as you cross regions to some extent, they question each other's integrity and their competence as umpires. Not based on what they see the person do on the field, but over the internet. So a 300 pound official could question a 198 muscular umpire and his ability and we would never know either way.

I would pray and hope when and if I ever accomplish the level I always want, that I can give back more to the game than what people are doing here. Maybe you guys are at the top of your game, but you are not giving back to it by ripping each other when folks are just trying to learn. You should have your hand out to pull your fellow officials up. I was just at a football meeting this past Tuesday and there were 4 extremely accomplished officials talking. All of them were legends in my area and they were hoping that they could lift up others to be at the level they had once worked. It was clear they wanted to give back to those that were not big time. I just think it is sad that those that call themselves "Big Dogs" are more worried about the title than what they contribute to the game.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:55pm

Jeff,
Many members have assumed that "WindyCityBlue" has not given back or helped others accomplish their aspirations. This could not be farther from the truth. I have been an active board member, instructor and held positions of importance within the IHSA baseball arena. No, I will not say what, you know better than to attempt revealing my identity. I teach at over two dozen clinics each year, across the Midwest.

Because I have chastised some members for foolish statements or poor reasoning on an online chat forum, means nothing. Unlike the Altar Boy and Wizard, I am not trying to get people to notice me or pat me on the back. As you are becoming aware, the Chicago umpiring scene is very political and back-stabbing is nothing new. Some of us will still get the biggest games and some organizations will continue to rule the roost. We have learned to work together on a very limited basis. At some point we will have to work together to raise our fees and protect our service. The envy and greed that permeate our little part of the world exists in other parts of the country, as well. The have nots always want and think they are entitled to more. Those at the top struggle to maintain their dominance. The same goes here. In a rather myopic view, some members believe that we should all hold hands and help each other be the best. That will never come to pass, since the next generation will always be aching for their day in the sun. You may dream of working on Sunday afternoon, but in order for that to happen, someone has to fail or be pushed aside. It's called self-preservation. Officiating is about making tough calls. Half of those watching will hate you and the others will love you. We are seeing the same thing here. I've made some controversial calls and I'm hearing from some boo-birds. Consider what they paid for admission and you will know how much I care.

Have an opinion; if it is solid and you are a man of your convictions, no matter what names you are called or how badly people want to knock you, you will prevail. TheAltar Boy has only proven that he could never be a trial lawyer. The Wizard keeps giving us reasons to not subscribe. I'm surprised that Brad still feels compelled to humor him. If one of my managers stood in front of the store and insulted those that went by, I would fire him in an instant. It's hard to believe that he thinks people read his rants and would want to pay money to hear more?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I do like what Rut says about the more experienced helping the less experienced and doing it in such a way as to not insult or belittle. In my case, I am only here to learn and try to become a solid umpire.

In most cases I am helped and it is done in a respectful way. I appreciate that.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 03:23pm

Of course you do...no one wants to be called names or have their opinions challenged. But, as umpires, that is what happens to us on almost every call.

Of course you appreciate having more experienced umpires help you along and pave the way for a better future. Not too many people want to take the challenging route. I had mentors and still rely on my partners for challenging me and keeping me focused. But, there is a thing called “Tough Love” and it is not a warm and fuzzy system. If you are confident enough to come here and present an opinion, be strong enough to handle the criticism. Learn to defend your position and be tactful enough to accept assistance. These are things that my parents taught me and I’m certain you were told something similar.

Officials arenÂ’t here to be coddled. Toughen up and know that you may be the only one that thinks you are right. IÂ’ve faced that music many times in my life. Some times IÂ’ve been proven correct and other times IÂ’ve had to do some soul searching.

IÂ’m not surprised to see that you respect those that help you. respect is a two way street, though. IÂ’ve learned far more in my life from those that helped me, rather than those who stood in my way. But, the lessons I learned from those that made it tough, shaped me and made a difference. DonÂ’t rely on the kindness of the world. Rely on your desire, talent and freedom allow. That sounds like an ancient Chinese proverb, and it may be. But donÂ’t begrudge those at the top from wanting to stay there. Be strong enough to join them.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course you do...no one wants to be called names or have their opinions challenged. But, as umpires, that is what happens to us on almost every call.

Of course you appreciate having more experienced umpires help you along and pave the way for a better future. Not too many people want to take the challenging route. I had mentors and still rely on my partners for challenging me and keeping me focused. But, there is a thing called “Tough Love” and it is not a warm and fuzzy system. If you are confident enough to come here and present an opinion, be strong enough to handle the criticism. Learn to defend your position and be tactful enough to accept assistance. These are things that my parents taught me and I’m certain you were told something similar.

Officials arenÂ’t here to be coddled. Toughen up and know that you may be the only one that thinks you are right. IÂ’ve faced that music many times in my life. Some times IÂ’ve been proven correct and other times IÂ’ve had to do some soul searching.

IÂ’m not surprised to see that you respect those that help you. respect is a two way street, though. IÂ’ve learned far more in my life from those that helped me, rather than those who stood in my way. But, the lessons I learned from those that made it tough, shaped me and made a difference. DonÂ’t rely on the kindness of the world. Rely on your desire, talent and freedom allow. That sounds like an ancient Chinese proverb, and it may be. But donÂ’t begrudge those at the top from wanting to stay there. Be strong enough to join them.
You live in a different world than I do. I could care less if a fan wants to challenge my opinion, so be it. I am confident enough to deal with the challenges of coaches, but understand it should be different in this forum. We are a family of officials!! We seek help from one another. It is not necessary to belittle each other.

Challenging route? You lost me here. Asking for assistance means you are not willing to be challenged? Trying to interpret rules by sharing with other more experienced officials means that I am not willing to be challenged? Your logic escapes me. I hope you will take the time to explain to me.

Tough love? WCB I am not a junkie that needs to kick the habit. I am willing to handle criticism, but it is not necessary in this faternity of officials to be disrespectful to one another. Remember, we are all in the same boat, facing the coaches and fans of the world. We are a brotherhood!!

WCB, I have raised two children very sucessfully. Both are exceptional students. No problems with drugs, sex, etc. Guess what? My wife and I did it with a heavy dose of positive reinforcement. Do we have to dicipline them? Sure, but I can do it CONSTRUCTIVELY. No need to belittle or demean. No reason to insult.

Some of the things you say or true. I am a bit thinskinned on this board. But I believe it is not that I cannot handle criticism, I think it is in the way it is delivered.

Please think back to your childhood. Did Mom and Dad insult you or did Mom and Dad guide you. If you were a respectful child that wanted to learn, I am quite sure that "tough love" was not one of your parents avenues of learning.

I'm sure some of the people on this board read my comments and think I am some kind of wimp. That is fine. I would rather live in a world were respect is admired, than be Garth. (sorry Garth, but you take pride in being the way you are).
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:51am

Some of the things you say or true. I am a bit thinskinned on this board. But I believe it is not that I cannot handle criticism, I think it is in the way it is delivered.

Please think back to your childhood. Did Mom and Dad insult you or did Mom and Dad guide you. If you were a respectful child that wanted to learn, I am quite sure that "tough love" was not one of your parents avenues of learning.
––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––– –––––––

My Mom and Dad didn't know that they were raising an official. Otherwise they could have toughened me up a bit and prevented the pain of my early years behind the dish.

In life, if you take a stance and find opposition, you have a couple of choices. Stand your ground and defend yourself or turn tail. If the former is your preference, you should be prepared for any battle that follows. We've all done this with our kids. I have no quarrel with either choice. Just be pepared for others to disagree and be as strong in their convictions as you are.

I'm not sure where your reference to being worried about a fan came from - it wasn't in my post. I said that half of those present will love your call and half will hate it. But, don't pretend that you've never ben influenced one way or the other by a boisterous crowd. Even the legends admit that they've let some things slide or been adamant about "punishing" an unruly bunch. You may not do it consciously, but if you've just kicked one and another close play happens, exactly the same way, you will be influenced.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I enjoy this forum until a thread like this starts. I don't know the history of all of the players here, but I do know that the 3rd post on this topic directed an insult at WCB. The piling on followed and the latest battle of this tiresome war was on.

I come to this forum to learn...Baseball, not read an online soap opera.

I am a young official that honestly wants to do the very best job everytime I step on the field. I read, study, listen and ask. I make mistakes and learn from them, and I offer help to others that may need it.

Above all, however, I use the best advice I have ever received: "Act like a professional".

If members here followed that simple Golden Rule, we'd all be better at what we do.