The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Fed Jewelry Rule Issue

I don't think I posted this one yet, but this happened the same day as the play at the plate, contact play.

In this game I am the PU. Team A is playing with only 9 players. During the warmup pitchers prior to the bottom of the second inning, I witness F5 wearing an earring. I approach the coach and inform him of the fact F5 is not legally equipped. I also inform F5 that she may not continue to participate while not legally equipment.

Unfortunately for F5, she needs a special tool to remove the earing, one that that she does not have. Since she can't remove the item, she can't participate. I allow the player a moment to attempt to loosen the jewlery, while the coach is repositioning his defense. After the inning, Team A is up to bat and the player's potisition in the order is reached, but she still has not been able to remove the jewelry. We declare an out because she was unable to bat.

A couple innings later she is finally able to get the jewlery removed. I allow her to re-enter the game. When she was found with the jewelry on, a team warning was issued to the coach for a non-properly equiped player.

I think I handled this correctly, but I want confirmation.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Once a team plays shorthanded, the "short" player may not re-enter.

Otherwise, handled fine.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

We discussed this on one of your other threads... the error here was calling the out. And that error caused the 2nd error of letting her play again.

I'll let you find it in the book... but under what circumstances do you rule an out for playing shorthanded? And was the player actually there.

Conversely, what do you do when a batter refuses to enter the batter's box? (This is what you REALLY had - you did not really have a shorthanded situation)

That should lead you there.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:18am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Once a team plays shorthanded, the "short" player may not re-enter.

Otherwise, handled fine.
Please give us a rule reference that covers this?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
We discussed this on one of your other threads... the error here was calling the out. And that error caused the 2nd error of letting her play again.

I'll let you find it in the book... but under what circumstances do you rule an out for playing shorthanded? And was the player actually there.

Conversely, what do you do when a batter refuses to enter the batter's box? (This is what you REALLY had - you did not really have a shorthanded situation)

That should lead you there.

What I have found regarding the calling her out is this.

7-4-1 Batter is out A team playing with one less than the starting number in the batting order and her turn to bat is reached.

Nowhere does the rule specify why she isn't playing, only that they are playing with 1 less than the starting number in the batting order).
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Where is a bandaid when you need one?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Michigan makes it very clear jewelry can not be taped over. We are told not to ask what is under the tape (or bandaid), but once they say I will just tape over it (as she did), we know what they are going to do an can not allow that.

If I just see a bandaid on an ear, I will tell the athlete that taping over jewlery is not legal, but I can't actually ask what she is covering. For all I know she cut her ear in practice.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
What I have found regarding the calling her out is this.

7-4-1 Batter is out A team playing with one less than the starting number in the batting order and her turn to bat is reached.

Nowhere does the rule specify why she isn't playing, only that they are playing with 1 less than the starting number in the batting order).
Did coach tell you he was removing her from the game? No. She was obviously trying to address the issue of jewelry.

Like in the other thread - YOU do not decide when a player is in or out of the game (except, of course, an ejection). When she could not come to bat because she was not properly equipped, you rule a penalty strike. 3 of those and THEN she's out, but she's not removed from the game.

Then you don't have the problem of letting her back into the game - she was never out of the game.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Michigan makes it very clear jewelry can not be taped over. We are told not to ask what is under the tape (or bandaid), but once they say I will just tape over it (as she did), we know what they are going to do an can not allow that.

If I just see a bandaid on an ear, I will tell the athlete that taping over jewlery is not legal, but I can't actually ask what she is covering. For all I know she cut her ear in practice.
Well, personally, I think the Fed jewelry rule is way out of line, but that is just me.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Irish:

You are a bad boy.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Irish:

You are a bad boy.

MTD, Sr.
No, just more intelligent than some folks
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I could be mistaken, but I think Irishmafia was kidding....
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think Irishmafia was kidding....
Not really. Not ruling on something I do not see. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't worry about it at all, and don't in ASA, but the reference is Fed.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Did coach tell you he was removing her from the game? No. She was obviously trying to address the issue of jewelry.

Like in the other thread - YOU do not decide when a player is in or out of the game (except, of course, an ejection). When she could not come to bat because she was not properly equipped, you rule a penalty strike. 3 of those and THEN she's out, but she's not removed from the game.

Then you don't have the problem of letting her back into the game - she was never out of the game.

Wait a minute, as I read the OP, F5 did not play her defensive position. Then when her team was on offense, she didn't bat.
How can you say she is still in the game?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Wait a minute, as I read the OP, F5 did not play her defensive position. Then when her team was on offense, she didn't bat.
How can you say she is still in the game?
When was she officially removed from the game?

West Houston Mike