The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 02:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question NF rule change brings up another issue

This past weekend during spring league, I was discussing the new rule change on throw-ins with my partner. He brought up a point about the penalties that occur on throw-ins by a defender. He said that the penalty for reaching across and hitting the ball was actually harsher than the penalty for reaching across and fouling the inbounding player, and that didn't seem logical. Why should a penalty for a DOG be more harsh than a penalty for doing almost the same act but hitting the player, not the ball.

Here's his explanation. Reaching across and hitting the ball is a technical on the defender. The foul counts as one of the five toward his DQ but also counts as one of the two Ts toward his DQ. If, instead, he hits the player and commits an intentional foul, the foul only counts towards his five and nothing else (of course, they both count as team fouls).

I never thought about it before, but I guess he's got a point, even though it's a minor one. It does seem somewhat inequitable. BTW - does the intentional foul also count as the first DOG if none had happened previously? If so, does the new rule about the defender committing the foul when the inbounding player has his hands over the court make a difference in that?

Some food for thought, I think.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

This has always been the case, don't see how the rule change is just now bringing this to light.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here's his explanation. Reaching across and hitting the ball is a technical on the defender. The foul counts as one of the five toward his DQ but also counts as one of the two Ts toward his DQ. If, instead, he hits the player and commits an intentional foul, the foul only counts towards his five and nothing else (of course, they both count as team fouls).
Knucklehead hits the ball - T
Player hits the ball - INT (he hit him on the finger, coach)

Seriously though, I never thought about INT vs. T like that!
When a player gets caught hitting the ball, they may as well try to commit the foul.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

There are other factors to consider. If it is a 'T' then anyone can shoot the free throws. Big advantage. Also the new throw-in is at midcourt opposite the table.
If it has not already been stated, reaching over the boundary line and commiting an Intentional or Technical foul is also a Delay of Game violation.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 04:05pm
Esteemed Participant

In my experience, a defensive player who reaches across and hits the ball out of the throwers hand is deliberately trying to cause problems (delay the game, be a jerk, etc.) while the player who hits the thrower is usually just trying to play defense and gets a little carried away. So while I understand Mark's point, I really do think they are two different things.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What A Great Steal, Oh, Nevermind ...

Quote:
Isn't it also a technical foul (and delay of game warning if not already warned) if the defender crosses the boundary and touches the ball on a "run the endline throwin" when inbounder number one passes the ball to to inbounder number two? In this case the defender may not be any where near either offensive player, who are both out of bounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 19, 2011 at 06:23am.
Old Wed May 18, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Isn't it also a technical foul (and delay of game warning if not already warned) if the defender crosses the boundary and touches the ball on a "run the endline throwin" when inbounder number one passes the ball to to inbounder number two? In this case the defender may not be any where near either offensive player, who are both out of bounds.
9-2 Penalties

3. If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodged the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay is required. See 10-3-10 Penalty.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 19, 2011, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Apples and Oranges ...

Quote:
Also, with the technical foul, anybody can shoot the technicals, including the offended team's best free throw shooter, who, at the time of the infraction, may be sitting on the bench enjoying a cool beverage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Also, with the technical foul, anybody can shoot the technicals, including the offended team's best free throw shooter, who, at the time of the infraction, may be sitting on the bench enjoying a cool beverage.
Do you work for the Department of Redundancy Department?
I already said that. It's déjà vu all over again
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Although your posts were similar, Billy expounds for those who may not know that a sub may enter to attempt the FT (HS) or FTs.
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not the first time this issue has been brought up; with all of the ramifications.