The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

My problem with the tuck rule is that if you coach your quaterbacks right, they can never fumble.

I am of course talking about the New England vs Oakland playoff game a couple years ago.

It was clear that Tom Brady was not throwing the ball, but moving his arm in a throwing motion and making a pump-fake. Why don't teams coach their quarterbacks to, from the time they take the ball from center on a pass play, as they drop back and survey the field, to the time they actually throw the ball, continuously pump-fake the ball ?
That way they can never fumble. If I understand Mike Pereira's explanation of the tuck rule, than this must be true.
Any thoughts ?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Two thoughts: one, if the player is continuously pump faking, he'll never be able to set properly to actually throw the pass. And two, if he's continually pump faking, he's bringing the ball back just as often as he's bringing it forward.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rking
My problem with the tuck rule is that if you coach your quaterbacks right, they can never fumble.
Not true.

Every time the QB fakes, the ball goes back, then forward. If he were hit while his arm was going back, it would be a fumble if he lost the ball.

Beyond that, it's not that big of an issue for QB's Honestly, out of all the times they stand in the pocket, how many times are they hit and lose the ball? Maybe once in 1000 situations? What's the point in pump faking over and over again, just to avoid a possible fumble in that one situation?

I don't see it.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

....out of all the times they stand in the pocket, how many times are they hit and lose the ball? Maybe once in 1000 situations?

Apparently, you haven't gotten a load of Drew Bledsoe's act lately. More like once every four situations.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I see what you are saying, if you are taking the ball back you can still fumble. I still believe the tuck rule is a sham, calling a pump-fake a pass attempt is a joke.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

So you think a better solution would be to call a pumpfake a live ball? Okay so how do referees differentiate between the two?

-snake
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

The same way they call the entire game , by their discretion, the same way they make holding calls and pass interference calls.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rking
The same way they call the entire game , by their discretion, the same way they make holding calls and pass interference calls.
Either you have a pass attempt or you don't. There is no gray area. In determining Holding or not holding, PI or not PI is a judgment call. The pump fake would be too difficult to determine. Using your reasoning the Ref would have to ask himself this question to determine if it was a fake. "Was he trying to pass the ball or was he trying to fake it?" Nobody on this earth can determine what the QB's intentions were except for him and God. The rules aren't written for us to make guesses. So for the Ref it's easy. It was a forward pass attempt as long as his arm was moving forward. Simple as that.