The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Question

Jewelry - What is your league rule say on Jewelry?

Why I ask is that it is the 2nd night of league ball (Men’s Industrial). League rule is NO Jewelry!!
(Necklace, chokers, earrings, etc) except for a wedding band (smooth). League rule states if worn, the coach or captain will be ejected from the game. It was told to the captains / coach at the coach’s meeting. It was also told to them by my partner and myself, when we both where changing the bats. And of course at the plate meeting, I was Base Umpire; my partner told the captain / coach again in the meeting. No Jewelry!

While it goes like this, the player that wore the necklace was home team. They came up to bat, bottom of the first, the player walk up to the box, my partner calls for time, told player he must remove the necklace, partner walks over to home team dugout, calls coach over and told him, he was out of the ball game. One person on the team (everybody has one of these player) I am big, bad, played in every kind of league (Majors, usssa, isa, etc) Mr. Bigshot with a mouth. Was angry the first couple of innings. He yakking at me, no cussing I may add, but goes on about he paid a lot of money to play in the league and that is a bullcrap of a rule. I told him stop and play ball, start yakking again. Mr. Bigshot goes on; don’t worry about me, yad yad yad.

After coach was ejected, I saw him talking to the Coordinator and UIC. He could not back anything up, about the call. No Jewelry.

So my question to you guys is what is your league rule??

Now, we have change it last night after the game that there will not be an ejection, but an out now.

Man oh man!!!! What a night!!!!!
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
Jewelry - What is your league rule say on Jewelry?

Why I ask is that it is the 2nd night of league ball (Men’s Industrial). League rule is NO Jewelry!!
(Necklace, chokers, earrings, etc) except for a wedding band (smooth). League rule states if worn, the coach or captain will be ejected from the game. It was told to the captains / coach at the coach’s meeting. It was also told to them by my partner and myself, when we both where changing the bats. And of course at the plate meeting, I was Base Umpire; my partner told the captain / coach again in the meeting. No Jewelry!

While it goes like this, the player that wore the necklace was home team. They came up to bat, bottom of the first, the player walk up to the box, my partner calls for time, told player he must remove the necklace, partner walks over to home team dugout, calls coach over and told him, he was out of the ball game. One person on the team (everybody has one of these player) I am big, bad, played in every kind of league (Majors, usssa, isa, etc) Mr. Bigshot with a mouth. Was angry the first couple of innings. He yakking at me, no cussing I may add, but goes on about he paid a lot of money to play in the league and that is a bullcrap of a rule. I told him stop and play ball, start yakking again. Mr. Bigshot goes on; don’t worry about me, yad yad yad.

After coach was ejected, I saw him talking to the Coordinator and UIC. He could not back anything up, about the call. No Jewelry.

So my question to you guys is what is your league rule??

Now, we have change it last night after the game that there will not be an ejection, but an out now.

Man oh man!!!! What a night!!!!!
For the kids, (minor children for whom we take some responsibility) our "league" hasn't adderssed jewelry. The Umpires Association has mandated that none will be allowed. This includes Livestrong type bracelets, hair bands around wrists and such, cloth string bracelets, earrings, etc. For the adult leagues, if any is deemed to be distracting, or a danger to OTHER players, it is allowed. I can't agree with making a rule to eject an adult who was wearing a necklace, nor even calling an out.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I hear Buddy, but in both counties the rec league rules for adults is NO Jewelry. For safety concerns.

I do not have my ASA Handbook with me at the moment.

What / where is it in the handbook?

Thanks,
Ed
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
I hear Buddy, but in both counties the rec league rules for adults is NO Jewelry. For safety concerns.

I do not have my ASA Handbook with me at the moment.

What / where is it in the handbook?

Thanks,
Ed
It is 3-6-F in ASA;

Exposed jewelry which is judged by the umpire to be dangerous, must be removed, and may not be worn during the game. Medical alert bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry. If worn they must be taped to the body so the medical alert information remains visible.

Rule 12 gives rec leagues authority to modify this as they see fit. If your league has a NO JEWELRY rule that is inclusive to adult play (which IMO is not a good idea), it should be followed. If Big Bubba wants to play in the league, he must follow the rules, wheather he pays big bucks or not. If the league rules state this they should back up the ejection, or modify their rules but NOT retroactivley.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

aside from medical ID's, which get taped, rule is none, then team warning. I just tell them to remove them, never had it get to an ejection. Big problem in rec ball with those rubber bracelets and ear rings... HS most are pretty good about it as they know the drill. Always get the "Oh I cant take out the ear ring BS" .. they figure out a way though by some miracle when told they cant play then.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

To start, at any level it is none of the local umpire's association business, no matter what age the players may be. It is up the to leagues and rules makers.

Secondly, as far as adults are concerned, if it isn't something that can hurt another player (i.e., large ring, watch, bracelet), who cares? If is it something that can only hurt them, that's their issue. They are supposed to be adults.

If the leagues want to rule otherwise, that is their business and the player is voluntarily placing themselves under those rules which I would enforce.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

wow...ejection is a harsh rule for jewelry. It seems to me that you could tell the player he can't play till its removed, noy eject someone for it. Peace.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
To start, at any level it is none of the local umpire's association business, no matter what age the players may be. It is up the to leagues and rules makers.

Secondly, as far as adults are concerned, if it isn't something that can hurt another player (i.e., large ring, watch, bracelet), who cares? If is it something that can only hurt them, that's their issue. They are supposed to be adults.

If the leagues want to rule otherwise, that is their business and the player is voluntarily placing themselves under those rules which I would enforce.
I understand that Mike, but its the league rule across the board from Tee to Adults ( all sports the Rec. Dept).

I was just going on what I was told to do. Don't blame the good.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I've played and umpired in many many softball leagues, and yours is the first that mandated an ejection for 1st offense. IMHO, that's a bit harsh. Warnings and "Hey, take that off" usually do the trick without affecting gameplay.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

That I will agree with.

Our association does not create the rule, just determine how as an association to apply the rule. We try and be consistant across the board so that we don't hear "the other umpire didn't make us take that off". We also do the same with lightning/rain suspension (at the same complex). When one field stops, all will stop. So far it has worked very well.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Funny this came up. I serve on the board of directors of our local rec girls fastpitch league. I coach as well. There was some controversy last year with regard to jewelry. To make it easier on the umps to interpret our intent, we made the rule regarding jewelry more clear. The girls may wear small stud earrings only. No other jewelry (regardless of material) is allowed. For the record, we abide by the ASA rules with regard to medic alert accessories. However, nothing in our rules prevents the umpire from ordering the removal of even stud earrings if, in his judgement, the earrings present a hazard to any player or tend to create a distraction.

Players that do not comply with this rule cannot play. Coaches are encouraged to inspect their players for compliance with this rule.

That's one of a very few local rules that have enacted. We're affiliated with ASA and try to follow the national rules as much as possible.

Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Clarification

Rule 3-6 F states " medic alert bracelets or necklaces are not considered jewelry". Does necklaces refer to medic alert necklaces or just plain old fashion necklaces ?????