The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Relevance ?? You asked if I saw the game. I gave you someone who was on the sidelines that heard what is repeated around the league in this situation.

After they were told the knee was coming....that's what the problem is...
Sigh ...

Let's not be politicians... let's actually hear the words the other person is saying and respond to those.

You said that the team behind decided without warning...
I disagreed with the "without warning" part and asked if you'd seen the play in question. If you had, I don't think you would describe Tampa's alignment as "without warning" - like I said, watching from home on TV it was obvious to me that something was coming. They were not passive at all.
The fact that your father in law heard Ferris's cousin's hairdresser say that they were taking a knee is completely irrelevant to the fact that Tampa Bay was obviously not taking the play off. I'm not disputing that NYG said they were taking a knee. No one is. So great, you have proof from your father in law that something happened that no one is disagreeing with.

I fail to understand why you (or anyone) is upset that a team down only 1 score played every down to win. Further, I wonder how this discussion would be going if Eli actually dropped the ball when he was surprised by Tampa's defensive rush.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Show me one situation around the league where a team took a knee just before halftime and the opponent blew it up....

You can't. Because that's not how the game's played.
This is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

It is not surprising to me, but may be to others, to note the number of ex-players whose opinions are that TB did nothing wrong and NY needs to shut up. Play until the end of the game. Brian Dawkins even made my point this morning - it was obvious to everyone that TB was playing defense on that play, shame on the NYG line for not blocking.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
It is not surprising to me, but may be to others, to note the number of ex-players whose opinions are that TB did nothing wrong and NY needs to shut up. Play until the end of the game. Brian Dawkins even made my point this morning - it was obvious to everyone that TB was playing defense on that play, shame on the NYG line for not blocking.
See, I've heard quite the opposite from ex-players and coaches.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
See, I've heard quite the opposite from ex-players and coaches.
Which ones, and on what programs?

Those I've heard to this point - Cris Carter, Brian Dawkins, Mike Golic, Mike Ditka, Ron Jaworski, Mark Schlereth, Terry Bradshaw (I think that counts negative points for me though), James Brown.

I've heard one arguing the other side - Jimmy Johnson.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After they were told the knee was coming....that's what the problem is...
Then the Giants are not being smart, don't tell the other team what is coming. Play the knee play like any other play, because that is what it is, a play. The fake spike play is an example, everyone thinks a spike is coming, so they layoff and boom, TD because you were sleeping. Play every play in every game the same way.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
Then the Giants are not being smart, don't tell the other team what is coming. Play the knee play like any other play, because that is what it is, a play. The fake spike play is an example, everyone thinks a spike is coming, so they layoff and boom, TD because you were sleeping. Play every play in every game the same way.
Not quite the same, as the spike is generally done by the team trailing and trying to score. Assuming they're just killing the clock is a mistake (I recall Peyton Manning throwing a TD pass on such a play).

This play is done with the idea that the game is conceded. I can understand, however, how the defense could take a bit of exception to the offense trying to concede for them.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Those I've heard to this point - Cris Carter, Brian Dawkins, Mike Golic, Mike Ditka, Ron Jaworski, Mark Schlereth, Terry Bradshaw (I think that counts negative points for me though), James Brown.

I heard the "other side," but it was from Strahan on ESPN. That's the only former player I heard actually comment on it, though.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sorry, didn't take a list but I remember hearing those against from the NFL Network and NBC's Sunday Night pre game show.

And one can't compare the fake spike to taking a knee at the end of the game. Taking a knee involves the unwritten rule and accepted practice that involves ending the game. There's is no practice that dictates that the defense take it easy and that the offense must spike the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Why even take a knee ? We need a rule created where you don't even have to snap the ball if we are to make the defense not play. I'll use a high school baseball rule for example. If you want to walk the batter you don't even have to pitch to him. You just put him on base. Let's just allow the offense to declare the game over when they are able to just run the clock out. Don't even snap it, just declare it over. Nothing can happen on the snap right? Wrong.

I had a game a few years ago with the defense needing to score to win. The offense, for whatever reason, told me they were taking a knee. Ok? Why are you telling me? I don't need to know what play they are calling. They take the snap and it is muffed and recovered by the defense with just enough to attempt a play. They didn't score, but at least they played til the final horn without giving up. It was one of the most exciting finishes I have seen because it just goes to show that the game isn't over until the clock hits zero.

Jerry Jones commented that they need a rule to get rid of the kneel down. Make em run a play.

Last edited by JasonTX; Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 08:10pm. Reason: Added Jerry Jones opinion
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I had a game a few years ago with the defense needing to score to win. The offense, for whatever reason, told me they were taking a knee. Ok? Why are you telling me? I don't need to know what play they are calling. They take the snap and it is muffed and recovered by the defense with just enough to attempt a play. They didn't score, but at least they played til the final horn without giving up. It was one of the most exciting finishes I have seen because it just goes to show that the game isn't over until the clock hits zero.
My example is similar, but the opposite. My first year, I'm working with a very experienced guy. Offense announced that they are taking a knee. My whitehat tells the defense - "They're taking a knee. Relax, I don't want to see any hitting here." Sure enough, snap is muffed, hits the QB's foot and goes right about to the tackle. Had the defense been ready, they would have had a very good chance at getting it, as the linemen were clueless. RB ended up recovering. I felt like we took that game away from the defense there.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My example is similar, but the opposite. My first year, I'm working with a very experienced guy. Offense announced that they are taking a knee. My whitehat tells the defense - "They're taking a knee. Relax, I don't want to see any hitting here." Sure enough, snap is muffed, hits the QB's foot and goes right about to the tackle. Had the defense been ready, they would have had a very good chance at getting it, as the linemen were clueless. RB ended up recovering. I felt like we took that game away from the defense there.
And if you go all the way back to my first post -- I only bring the whistle up to my mouth and hit it once I'm certain that the QB has cleanly taken the snap.

In 20+ years of doing this, I've never seen a muffed snap on a kneel down play -- I still wait to make sure the ball is firmly in the QB's hands.

I'm sure muffed snaps happen, but the lack of frequency to me suggests that it makes more sense for the defense to not risk injury (for either team) in this situation.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Jerry Jones commented that they need a rule to get rid of the kneel down. Make em run a play.
How are you going to make them run a play? Teams will still do something to not lose the ball and it will either be more violent or with the same result. I think people that do no officiate should not speak on what should be done on any rule.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
How are you going to make them run a play? Teams will still do something to not lose the ball and it will either be more violent or with the same result. I think people that do no officiate should not speak on what should be done on any rule.

Peace
I like Jason's idea better than Jerry's. Jerry's was one of his less-fine thoughts.

OTOH, Jerry can speak on any rule he chooses - he's on the Rules Committee.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I like Jason's idea better than Jerry's. Jerry's was one of his less-fine thoughts.

OTOH, Jerry can speak on any rule he chooses - he's on the Rules Committee.
He can, but that does not make it less stupid.

Peace