The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   take a knee? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92432-take-knee.html)

bigjohn Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56am

take a knee?

Tom Coughlin has harsh words for Greg Schiano after Giants beat Buccaneers | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

asdf Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10pm

Another clown with the "play til you hear the whistle" mindset

MD Longhorn Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41pm

Sounds more like a "play while the ball is live" mindset to me.

asdf Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:00pm

which is fine, provided both teams are "playing"

Refsmitty Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:14pm

Bucs

I saw nothing wrong with the play. Shame on the Giants to think the other team is just going to give up when they still have an outside chance to make something happen - legally!

maven Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 854818)
I saw nothing wrong with the play. Shame on the Giants to think the other team is just going to give up when they still have an outside chance to make something happen - legally!

NFL does not have as many "unwritten rules" as MLB, but this is one of them. Perhaps you saw nothing wrong with the play because you're applying only the written rules.

Players police the unwritten rules, and so I encourage the O-linemen and QB for the Bucs to protect themselves if they have a victory formation this season.

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:51pm

With the money that these athletes can earn, you play to win the game.

APG Mon Sep 17, 2012 02:05pm

There's a reason that a fight almost broke out after what Tampa did. It went against the accepted practice in the NFL...you watch any number of games in the NFL and you won't see another team do this.

Completely legal rules wise, but against the unwritten rules.

waltjp Mon Sep 17, 2012 02:38pm

Why should a team be expected to quit playing if there's still time left on the clock?

asdf Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 854855)
Why should a team be expected to quit playing if there's still time left on the clock?

Because it's been an accepted practice for years.

One team tells the other team they are taking a knee and they honor the notification.......

Show me an example of it happening right before halftime. (you can't)

MD Longhorn Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 854863)
Because it's been an accepted practice for years.

One team tells the other team they are taking a knee and they honor the notification.......

Show me an example of it happening right before halftime. (you can't)

No, but you have the opposite - Randall Cunningham faking taking a knee and throwing a TD right before halftime.

maven Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 854855)

Why should a guy who hits a home run start running immediately rather than wait till the ball's out of sight and admire his achievement?

That's how they play the game. It's different from college. None of us has to like it.

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 17, 2012 03:21pm

Chargers/KC last year. SD trying to run out the lock and they fumble the snap.

asdf Mon Sep 17, 2012 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 854865)
No, but you have the opposite - Randall Cunningham faking taking a knee and throwing a TD right before halftime.

Are you talking about the time he took two knees then threw a long pass while up 30-20?

Just as classy.....

jchamp Mon Sep 17, 2012 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 854887)
Are you talking about the time he took two knees then threw a long pass while up 30-20?

Just as classy.....

If he was only up 10 points at the half, then he's smart to try to pad his lead. It doesn't take long for those ten points to evaporate, especially if you're kicking to start the 3rd.

Victory formation started as a way for the offense to eliminate as much as possible the risk of losing due to a fumble when they don't need the yardage to win the game. "Taking a knee" at halftime is completely discretionary and should NEVER be assumed. In the NFL, "taking a knee" should be afforded the same opportunities as any other play.

I can buy protecting kids in HS, but when we're talking about millionaires with incredible athletic prowess, don't just let them play, MAKE them play.