The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Offensive Pass Interference?

We have a WR Screen. A9 and A10 engage in a block prior to A11 catching the ball. The ball never crosses the Line of Scrimage. Can I have Offensive P.I.?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

NCAA : No
7-3-8-b: Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the
neutral zone

Don't do NF myself, but I'm fairly sure it is the same
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
Don't do NF myself, but I'm fairly sure it is the same
It is. 7-5-7.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

You just need to be careful the ball is not caught beyond the NZ. Another possible issue (although I've heard some officials let it go based on their own philosophy) is the ball goes off the hands of the receiver (who is behind the NZ) and the ball lands beyond the NZ. Thus it is a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone and you have eligible receivers blocking. Same thing applies to ineligible receivers downfield.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
You just need to be careful the ball is not caught beyond the NZ. Another possible issue (although I've heard some officials let it go based on their own philosophy) is the ball goes off the hands of the receiver (who is behind the NZ) and the ball lands beyond the NZ. Thus it is a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone and you have eligible receivers blocking. Same thing applies to ineligible receivers downfield.
Under NCAA this would not apply since the term "crosses neutral zone" is defined in rule 2-19-3. ...It has not crossed the neutral zone when it first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything behind the neutral zone inbounds." What this means is the ball did not cross the neutral zone if it's touched behind the NZ, but a ball can still land beyond the NZ. The rules for PI only apply to those passes that cross the NZ, not where it lands.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But does not PI restrictions end for all eligible A's once A touches a legal forward pass?
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But does not PI restrictions end for all eligible A's once A touches a legal forward pass?
For NCAA they end when any inbounds player touches the pass (or if touched by an officials).

For NFHS, after any of these three conditions:
a. A players, when B touches a legal forward pass.
b. Eligible A players when A touches a legal forward pass. Ineligible A
players may not touch the pass, but can use hands or arms in a legal block to ward off an opponent.

c. B players when a legal forward pass has been touched by A or B.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Yes, but the blocks down field were taking place before the ball was touched by A. If they didn't occur until after the ball was touched, you have nothing regardless of whether the pass ends behind or beyond the NZ.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Under NCAA this would not apply since the term "crosses neutral zone" is defined in rule 2-19-3. ...It has not crossed the neutral zone when it first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything behind the neutral zone inbounds." What this means is the ball did not cross the neutral zone if it's touched behind the NZ, but a ball can still land beyond the NZ. The rules for PI only apply to those passes that cross the NZ, not where it lands.
Correct...good clarification for NCAA. One of those subtle differences that probably gets enforced the same way in HS and college either because the official applies the NCAA rule as a HS philosophy or because it never dawned on the HS official the pass technically went beyond the NZ.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, but the blocks down field were taking place before the ball was touched by A. If they didn't occur until after the ball was touched, you have nothing regardless of whether the pass ends behind or beyond the NZ.
If the blocks took place downfield, which is not at all clear in the op. Most screens do not involve early blocks downfield but rather at or near the line. And the block would have to be substantially beyond the line to deserve a call on this sort of play.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct...good clarification for NCAA. One of those subtle differences that probably gets enforced the same way in HS and college either because the official applies the NCAA rule as a HS philosophy or because it never dawned on the HS official the pass technically went beyond the NZ.
You might be surprised about all that "dawns" on HS officials about insignificant technicalities that have little bearing on the game.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 04:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post
We have a WR Screen. A9 and A10 engage in a block prior to A11 catching the ball. The ball never crosses the Line of Scrimage. Can I have Offensive P.I.?
CANADIAN RULING:

Legal screen pass; no OPI.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
You might be surprised about all that "dawns" on HS officials about insignificant technicalities that have little bearing on the game.
Oh, please do share with us.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be suprised at all.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Explain, please!