The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

hello

its 4th & 1 the pass goes down field the offensive player pushes off the defensive player to catch the pass, i know this is offensive pass interference but how do you apply this one?

tim
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS rules, it is a 15-yard penalty against A and loss of down; B is awarded a new series after the enforcement.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
Under NFHS rules, it is a 15-yard penalty against A and loss of down; B is awarded a new series after the enforcement.
Correct. loose ball play, 15 -yards from the previous spot offending coach going nuts when he see you march off 15 yards against his and give the ball to B
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
hello

its 4th & 1 the pass goes down field the offensive player pushes off the defensive player to catch the pass, i know this is offensive pass interference but how do you apply this one?

tim
We just penalize them yards. 15 from PLS, DR.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Correct. loose ball play, 15 -yards from the previous spot offending coach going nuts when he see you march off 15 yards against his and give the ball to B
Ya, most coaches don't know it is LOD in NF. Pretty harsh, and as stated in previous posts, OPI may be called more if not LOD added to the 15.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Harsh for both sides.

I disagree.

You have a harsh penalty for the defense. Why not the offense?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 08:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Harsh for both sides.

Quote:
Originally posted by PS2Man
I disagree.

You have a harsh penalty for the defense. Why not the offense?
Because it's unnecessarily punitive and doesn't compare with other offensive fouls -- the down repeats for fouls like holding and tripping, for example.

Also OPI doesn't carry a LOD in NCAA or NFL rules, so it just seems strange and something they neglected to change back when they removed the LOD part of the penalty from fouls like ineligible downfield.

Just my opinion, of course. And it's true -- I think OPI would be called more if the LOD wasn't part of the enforcement.

--Rich
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think you do not see it called as much because it is easier to call it on the defense. You do not see it called enough at the NCAA or NFL level either and you could argue that it happens often. Randy Moss and T.O. probably get away all the time with a little push every now and then.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Ya, most coaches don't know it is LOD in NF. Pretty harsh, and as stated in previous posts, OPI may be called more if not LOD added to the 15.
I've NEVER let the penalty affect my judgment.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 10:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
It has nothing to do with judgment. It has more to do with benefit of doubt and how much you give in a particular situation. And I think OPI benefit of doubt favors the receivers in all of football, but especially when a LOD would result.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Same here, that does not cross my mind when I see another player intefering with an opponents oppurtunity to catch the ball.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:18pm
tpaul

Same here, if a team commits a foul I call it. I don't think wow the LOD is going to hurt them.

I do agree the LOD is hard on the offensive team but it is the rules.