The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Offensive Pass Interference? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/57572-offensive-pass-interference.html)

budjones05 Wed Mar 17, 2010 01:23am

Offensive Pass Interference?

We have a WR Screen. A9 and A10 engage in a block prior to A11 catching the ball. The ball never crosses the Line of Scrimage. Can I have Offensive P.I.?

jjrye22 Wed Mar 17, 2010 02:23am

NCAA : No
7-3-8-b: Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the
neutral zone

Don't do NF myself, but I'm fairly sure it is the same

mbyron Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjrye22 (Post 668651)
Don't do NF myself, but I'm fairly sure it is the same

It is. 7-5-7.

bisonlj Wed Mar 17, 2010 02:26pm

You just need to be careful the ball is not caught beyond the NZ. Another possible issue (although I've heard some officials let it go based on their own philosophy) is the ball goes off the hands of the receiver (who is behind the NZ) and the ball lands beyond the NZ. Thus it is a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone and you have eligible receivers blocking. Same thing applies to ineligible receivers downfield.

JasonTX Wed Mar 17, 2010 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 668796)
You just need to be careful the ball is not caught beyond the NZ. Another possible issue (although I've heard some officials let it go based on their own philosophy) is the ball goes off the hands of the receiver (who is behind the NZ) and the ball lands beyond the NZ. Thus it is a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone and you have eligible receivers blocking. Same thing applies to ineligible receivers downfield.

Under NCAA this would not apply since the term "crosses neutral zone" is defined in rule 2-19-3. ...It has not crossed the neutral zone when it first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything behind the neutral zone inbounds." What this means is the ball did not cross the neutral zone if it's touched behind the NZ, but a ball can still land beyond the NZ. The rules for PI only apply to those passes that cross the NZ, not where it lands.

Mike L Wed Mar 17, 2010 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 668796)

But does not PI restrictions end for all eligible A's once A touches a legal forward pass?

Theisey Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 668820)
But does not PI restrictions end for all eligible A's once A touches a legal forward pass?

For NCAA they end when any inbounds player touches the pass (or if touched by an officials).

For NFHS, after any of these three conditions:
a. A players, when B touches a legal forward pass.
b. Eligible A players when A touches a legal forward pass. Ineligible A
players may not touch the pass, but can use hands or arms in a legal block to ward off an opponent.

c. B players when a legal forward pass has been touched by A or B.

bisonlj Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 668820)

Yes, but the blocks down field were taking place before the ball was touched by A. If they didn't occur until after the ball was touched, you have nothing regardless of whether the pass ends behind or beyond the NZ.

bisonlj Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 668819)
Under NCAA this would not apply since the term "crosses neutral zone" is defined in rule 2-19-3. ...It has not crossed the neutral zone when it first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything behind the neutral zone inbounds." What this means is the ball did not cross the neutral zone if it's touched behind the NZ, but a ball can still land beyond the NZ. The rules for PI only apply to those passes that cross the NZ, not where it lands.

Correct...good clarification for NCAA. One of those subtle differences that probably gets enforced the same way in HS and college either because the official applies the NCAA rule as a HS philosophy or because it never dawned on the HS official the pass technically went beyond the NZ.

Mike L Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 668970)
Yes, but the blocks down field were taking place before the ball was touched by A. If they didn't occur until after the ball was touched, you have nothing regardless of whether the pass ends behind or beyond the NZ.

If the blocks took place downfield, which is not at all clear in the op. Most screens do not involve early blocks downfield but rather at or near the line. And the block would have to be substantially beyond the line to deserve a call on this sort of play.

ajmc Thu Mar 18, 2010 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 668971)
Correct...good clarification for NCAA. One of those subtle differences that probably gets enforced the same way in HS and college either because the official applies the NCAA rule as a HS philosophy or because it never dawned on the HS official the pass technically went beyond the NZ.

You might be surprised about all that "dawns" on HS officials about insignificant technicalities that have little bearing on the game.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 18, 2010 04:25pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 668647)
We have a WR Screen. A9 and A10 engage in a block prior to A11 catching the ball. The ball never crosses the Line of Scrimage. Can I have Offensive P.I.?

CANADIAN RULING:

Legal screen pass; no OPI.

waltjp Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 669002)
You might be surprised about all that "dawns" on HS officials about insignificant technicalities that have little bearing on the game.

Oh, please do share with us.

bisonlj Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31am

Quote:

I wouldn't be suprised at all.

jaybird Fri Mar 19, 2010 05:40pm

Quote:

Explain, please!