The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Offensive Pass Interference

NFHS rules, 4 down and 15 from the (about) 25. Too far for a field goal, too short to punt, deep throw to the 5, some one throws a flag for Offensive Pass Interference -- not the official covering the catch (Side judge?). The ruling on the play: 15 yards from the LOS, loss of down, ball turns over to B near mid-field. My question, Offensive Pass Interference is a loss of down penalty?

Thanks
Bugg
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Yes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Yes, A loses the right to replay the down on OPI.

What I don't get is why more coaches don't try more FGs in HS. It's just like a punt, granted you need to cover it to prevent a return. Even if you wind up with a touchback and put the ball in play on the 20 your still better off than the scenario in the OP.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Correct and in your situation B would have 1st and 10 at B's 40 yard line
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

why coaches don't try more FGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz
What I don't get is why more coaches don't try more FGs in HS. It's just like a punt, granted you need to cover it to prevent a return. Even if you wind up with a touchback and put the ball in play on the 20 your still better off than the scenario in the OP.
Actually I know a group of youth & HS coaches who advocate place kicking instead of punting anywhere on the field! I think they're nuts, because of what I consider obvious disadvantages of place kicking. (If the place kick were so good, they'd've done it instead of punting in NCAA & NFL too before they instituted those "field goal attempt" rules.)

Robert
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
NFHS rules, 4 down and 15 from the (about) 25. Too far for a field goal, too short to punt, deep throw to the 5, some one throws a flag for Offensive Pass Interference -- not the official covering the catch (Side judge?). The ruling on the play: 15 yards from the LOS, loss of down, ball turns over to B near mid-field. My question, Offensive Pass Interference is a loss of down penalty?

Thanks
Bugg
CANADIAN RULING:

OPI is 15y from PLS, down repeated. There is no LD, but the penalty is not restricted either.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Actually I know a group of youth & HS coaches who advocate place kicking instead of punting anywhere on the field! I think they're nuts, because of what I consider obvious disadvantages of place kicking. (If the place kick were so good, they'd've done it instead of punting in NCAA & NFL too before they instituted those "field goal attempt" rules.)

Robert
Actually was done by several teams back in the late 60s and early 70s. Our coach used it when he wanted to pin the other team in the coffin corner....he thought the place kicker was more consistent in getting the ball between the 15 and goal line than our punter.

This was division III. I don't know if any division I teams used it.

Sure made the back judge scramble though
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to MI Official Send a message via Skype™ to MI Official
Cool side bar

just another observation. I can count on no hands the number of drop kicks I have seen in 12+years. I would think that it would be worth a try if you are in the zone between punts and Fg territory. I just think it would be worth a try, you might get lucky and get the three points. Any one ever seen this kick used?
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Official
just another observation. I can count on no hands the number of drop kicks I have seen in 12+years. I would think that it would be worth a try if you are in the zone between punts and Fg territory. I just think it would be worth a try, you might get lucky and get the three points. Any one ever seen this kick used?
From the Nashville Tennessean, Saturday, October 13, 2007:

Among the highlights for CPA (4-3):

 A school record for points.

 502 yards in total offense.

 Three touchdown passes by Connor Lowery in the first quarter.

 A second consecutive shutout for the defense and a 126-0 margin of victory in those two games.

 A drop kick by Will Redmond for the final extra point with one minute left.

Link to full story:
http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbc...story_id=13899
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's just like a punt, granted you need to cover it to prevent a return.

Why wouldn't the R team get to take the ball from the previous line of scrimmage on a missed field goal?
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 09:44pm
Chain of Fools

Because a FG attempt is just like a punt. If it crosses the goal line but fails to score, its a touchback. If it lands in the field of play, its a live ball that can be returned or downed or even fair caught. The only way you go back to the previous spot is an incomplete pass.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Official
Any one ever seen this kick used?
Doug Flutie did it a few years ago with the patriots.

Plus the drop kick is outdated since place kicks are 1000x more accurate. Warrenkicker can probably give us a better explanation on why.

The only useful play i've ever seen with a drop kick is on a kickoff. The kickoff team was lined up ready to go. The kicker walks up to the ball on the tee like he's going to adjust it. He picks it up off the tee, then immediately does a drop kick onsides kick!! It was brilliant!
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob

Thanks
Bugg
Offensive pass interference can occur away from the intended receiver, in fact, it often occurs well before the pass is thrown. If ANY eligible receiver blocks downfield after the snap -- would be hard to block before the snap -- it is offensive pass interference.

When I was working the wing whenever a block was thrown by an eligible offensive receiver then my focus was on the run and if by chance a pass was thrown it was simply throw a flag.

It is 15 yards and loss of down and in the aforementioned situation it will go to B on downs.

BTW. There is no loss of down in NCAA rules.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, A loses the right to replay the down on OPI.

FG attempts are more easily blocked than punts. The kick is closer to the LOS, the kick starts out lower, and the trajectory of the kick is lower.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
Because a FG attempt is just like a punt. If it crosses the goal line but fails to score, its a touchback. If it lands in the field of play, its a live ball that can be returned or downed or even fair caught. The only way you go back to the previous spot is an incomplete pass.

Then how come i never see a missed field goal (even one that comes up short) have the ball start at the 20 (as it would for a touch back)? Do teams have the option of taking it at the previous line of scrimmage on a missed field goal? I'm not trying to be an a$$, i'm just confused.