The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officials who are often working these games are not varsity officials in the first place.
Around here, it can be harder to break into peewee than it is to work HS, even varsity in some cases. I think I worked my first HS varsity game the Friday night before my first (and only) peewee Sat. games. I had an opportunity to fill in the year before (my first) but couldn't. Not that I tried real hard to get in, but for some guys it takes asking several PW assignors.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Relevance is important, as is context, and the context of this discussion seemed pointed towards some observations that "pinching in" from the sidelines was automatically improper mechanics.

The counter suggestion was simply that considering the significant physical and skill differences between 8 year old children playing football, and other more advanced levels of the game, often calls for practical adjustment to standard mechanics to better deal with the actual circumstances of the game at hand. Such adjustments may well be appropriate, rather than automatically considered improper.

There's little value in critiquing any individual official's performance, at the 8 yr old level from a compiled parental highlite video, unless you might be a mentor for that particular official and were discussing it privately and constructively with the official. There is even less value in assessing perfomance based on mechanics, that may be unique at this level, as compared to how they would be required at more advanced levels.

Football at the 8 year old level is a DIFFERENT game.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Jeez-o guys...breathe for a second.

I understand and know that youth football is a different level than high school. I do know that some mechanics are adjusted to the level. I get it. I also know that some youth officials do not work high school and are just starting out. I'm also going to take back any comments on laziness, since it's probably not the case.

So...let me rephrase my question. When is it appropriate to pinch to an extreme (like at 5:42 and 7:08 of the video)? What good does it do to be that close to the action? Does anybody teach it like that for 8 year old football?

I appreciate the feedback given by you guys...it's priceless knowledge (No sarcasm here).

Scott
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

"pinching in" TOO far is normally not a good idea, at any level, unless there might have been something significant he was responding to, that can't be seen on the video.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex View Post
So...let me rephrase my question. When is it appropriate to pinch to an extreme (like at 5:42 and 7:08 of the video)? What good does it do to be that close to the action? Does anybody teach it like that for 8 year old football?
It does not do much good at all. But honestly I really do not think that is the point. It is a youth football game, with people that are not required in many jurisdictions to do much of anything. You are going to see all kinds of things of the officials (like wearing a jacket on the field) that you would not see other places. Take it for what it is a training ground for people to get some experience. That means you will see all kinds of wrong things.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex View Post
Jeez-o guys...breathe for a second.

I understand and know that youth football is a different level than high school. I do know that some mechanics are adjusted to the level. I get it. I also know that some youth officials do not work high school and are just starting out. I'm also going to take back any comments on laziness, since it's probably not the case.

I appreciate the feedback given by you guys...it's priceless knowledge (No sarcasm here).

Scott
Scott,
I think if you read Bob M's post above you'll get your answers to the first two questions. There are a few specific plays where pre-pinching may be ok, but not to that extent. As for the last question....either the guys in the vid are doing it the way they were taught and/or required to do it or they came up with that on their own. No way for us to know. I do know around my area, I'd be strongly advising them to get back. I'd also have a lot of other recommendations for them, but we'll stick to the pinch question here.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys...I appreciate the answers!
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all for the responses. My goal in posing the questions was to get an unbiased point of view on whether my Son's blocking was "unsportsmanlike." I received a comment that my Son (#51) needed to receive better coaching in sportsmanship because he blocked players that were already on the ground. While no flags were thrown on any of the plays, I agree that the officials involved are probably not ready for the NFL just yet.

My Son has been coached to be aggressive, and play to the whistle. I have told him (perhaps wrongly) it is legal and advisable to continue to block players that have been knocked to the ground to prevent them from getting back into the play. While the highlights were put together to make him look “beastly”, he is a good kid and is not looking to injure anyone. Interestingly, I have received several comments from other coaches who really liked this type of aggressive play, and asked how it was developed. His coaches are very pleased with his level of play and aggressiveness.

That said, I understand the need to cut out unnecessary stuff that could lead to flags or escalate. i.e. while it's hard to see because of the angle, 31 actually kicks 51 in the “berries” after being knocked down at :56. While both were seen by the white hat, nothing was said about the hit or kick.

As someone surmised, I created the highlight videos on youtube so geographically dispersed friends and relatives could see them, not for any other reason. That said, my 529 has really taken a beating so if anyone knows of any college coaches that would be interested in extending a scholarship offer to a 9 year old who is willing to work hard.... ;-)

Once again thanks for the comments. You have a cool forum here.

Last edited by billgates51; Fri May 01, 2009 at 10:01pm.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates51 View Post
My Son has been coached to be aggressive, and play to the whistle.
You may hear this from others but this comment makes most officials cringe. I understand the concept that you are encouraging the players to play to the end of the play. But if you teach a player to play specifically to the whistle, you are going to get him in trouble.

I forget the exact number but there are like 40 ways for a play to end and a whistle is only one of them and it's not good (inadvertent whistle). For example, the play is over as soon as the pass is incomplete or the runner's knee touches the ground, not when the subsequent whistle blows. As I work up to higher levels I'm leaning that whistles are used less and less. If a player only stops when he hears a whistle, he is likely to eventually get penalized for a personal foul for hitting after the play is over.

I admire your pride for your son and wanting him to improve! I wish him the best of luck as he advances in his career!