The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Opinions please.

Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?
The PU screwed the pooch on that call. Rule 7.3 EFFECT 2

If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If the pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3.6.9.

Rule 3.6.9 PENALITY (ARTS. 2 through 10)

The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
agree with Michael... he pooched it. The rule is clear on this, but it does require an umpire to actually open it... unfortunately, not enough do.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
The PU screwed the pooch on that call. Rule 7.3 EFFECT 2

If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If the pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3.6.9.

Rule 3.6.9 PENALITY (ARTS. 2 through 10)

The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Just to be picky, 3.6.9 refers to "calling time", no verbal call mentioned in 7.3.
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Just to be picky, 3.6.9 refers to "calling time", no verbal call mentioned in 7.3.
If the umpire judged the batter's actions to be a deliberate attemp to create an illegal pitch, time would be called while the umpire enforced the penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
If the umpire judged the batter's actions to be a deliberate attemp to create an illegal pitch, time would be called while the umpire enforced the penalty.
I think Cecil was making the technical argument that the rule is about the batter stepping out or raising her hand, not about the batter yelling "TIME." However, that situation is covered in rule 6-4
Quote:
ART. 13 . . . No player, manager or coach shall call time or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is live and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch.
PENALTY: (Art. 13) No pitch shall be declared and a warning issued to the offending team. A repeat of this type of act by the team warned shall result in the offender being restricted to the dugout/bench for the duration of the game (3-6-9).
__________________
Tom

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 11:25am.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods.
Hijack:

Around these parts all JV games are 1:15 or 5 innings, whichever comes first.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hijack:

Around these parts all JV games are 1:15 or 5 innings, whichever comes first.
I'm jealous. Ours are 2 hours no new inninging / 10 runs in 5 innings. I actually had a 2 hour 25 minute game that was less than 2 innings.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 698
Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I'm jealous. Ours are 2 hours no new inninging / 10 runs in 5 innings. I actually had a 2 hour 25 minute game that was less than 2 innings.

and I bet the temp was under 45 degrees, too....


and oh yeah....sounds like a pooch here.....
__________________
www.chvbgsoinc.org
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
and I bet the temp was under 45 degrees, too....


and oh yeah....sounds like a pooch here.....
Nah a nice low 80's kinda day here in Northern California.

I rarely get to umpire in that kinda weather.

Did do a nighttime DH where it was drizziling and was about 55 degrees. For us thats cold.....
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I think Cecil was making the technical argument that the rule is about the batter stepping out or raising her hand, not about the batter yelling "TIME." However, that situation is covered in rule 6-4
Even better!
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: woodville, tx
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hijack:

Around these parts all JV games are 1:15 or 5 innings, whichever comes first.
Same in this area of Texas and if the home team is ahead at 1:10, don't
start a new inning.
__________________
glen _______________________________
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 440
JV games around here are an untimed 7 innings, unless part of a double header (possibly with a trailing varsity game) in which case they're 5 innings and usually an 1:15 time limit.

Now, the first game for my DD's JV game this season (not a double header), the game started 10 minutes early, and after the top of the fourth, with the home team up 7-2, the PU calls the game (at about 1:15). Later I found out he told the coaches there would be an 1:15 time limit at the plate meeting, which was a surprise to the home coach (and later, the AD).
__________________
Just Tryin' to Learn...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?

Ya know, I just had a varsity coach do that today. He was definitely not trying to cause an IP - he decided late that he wanted a sub for a runner. The pitcher stopped her windup - and this made everything very easy - and he then decided he did not want a sub. He got charged for an offensive conference - and all were content.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinions please hawk65 Basketball 41 Thu Feb 01, 2007 01:52pm
Opinions radwaste50 Football 15 Wed Aug 30, 2006 02:38am
Need Opinions tmp44 Basketball 12 Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:17am
Opinions Please..... thumpferee Basketball 5 Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:28am
Opinions please. DanIn Softball 12 Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:45am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1