The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Question Your opinions please

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been officiating sub-varsity basketball for just a few years and I’ve been visiting this site to learn from the experiences and opinions of others. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share.

An incident happened recently that I witnessed and I’m seeking your thoughts. As with all events, there are numerous side issues but I want to distill this and limit the discussion to some central questions.

A local high school has a successful basketball program with a well-known coach [Coach]. A few days ago, I attended their home game. Before the game, I had exchanged greetings with the two varsity officials [A and B], and they invited me to their locker room at halftime. By halftime, Coach’s team was soundly beating the opponent. I watched from high in the bleachers and didn’t notice any controversial official’s calls.

As invited, I went to the officials’ room at halftime. As I passed through the locker area and went around a corner to wait in front of the officials’ dressing room, Coach was screaming about someone with no restraint about his volume or his profanities. A moment later, the officials entered the area and I realized Coach had been waiting there to confront A. He verbally attacked A -- screamed at him, used several profanities, screamed about several calls/no-calls, screamed that he should go back to where he came from (A just rejoined our association after being out of area for several years), etc., etc. Any attempts by A to respond were interrupted by more screaming. As mentioned, I was just around a corner and did not see this -- I only heard this portion of the tirade. This continued for perhaps a minute or so, then they all came around the corner so the coach could unlock the officials’ locker room. At that point I both heard and saw as the shouting continued (it never abated) as Coach unlocked the door and I followed A and B into the officials’ room. I do not recall at any time during the verbal attack hearing B attempt to mitigate the confrontation or intercede on A’s behalf.

After the door was closed, A shared that he had been warned by “about twenty” other officials that Coach would test him. He reviewed the plays that had apparently upset Coach but felt comfortable with his calls and his officiating. He quoted a couple of the coach’s comments during the first half, including some profanities from the coaching box.

B stated that he was on Coach’s approved list of officials and he therefore gets a “pass” from Coach. He told A he had two choices -- he (A) could issue a technical foul or he could let it go. If he (A) issued the technical, he (B) would support him. No technical was issued at the start of the second half.

A told the association assigner and at least one other association board member about this incident. They are aware that I witnessed it.

Based on your experiences and the practices of your association, what do you think the following should have done differently or should do now?

A:
B:
Me:
The officials association:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Angry Verbal abuse off the court.

A: Write a detailed incident report, outlining the unprofessional behaviour and verbal abuse that A received outside the playing confines.

B: Act as an eye witness to the incident.

You: Act as an eye witness to the incident.

Association: Take the necessary action against the Coach in question. E.G. bring the issue to the attention of the athletic commission and/or school administrators (this is a place of learning after all, and school administrators should get the ultimate blame for putting someone like this in charge).

This is disturbing, but even more so is the fact that this Coach is in charge of teaching our kids good sportsmanship and professionalism. Is this the type of person we want teaching/coaching our kids???
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

1. The referee association needs to contact the school and insist that someone other than the coach be in charge of letting the officials into their room at halftime and following the game.

2. Official A needs to get some balls. Any coach who would try that with me would find himself remaining in the lockerroom for the second half. If the school/coach didn't have me back at their institution that's fine. If you don't insist that people treat you with respect, they won't.

3. Official B needs to get some balls. Standing there while someone screams at your partner is not being a good partner.

4. If your association leadership wishes this behavior to stop, they can make it happen. It would be your duty to provide whatever support they need from you in effecting this change, since you witnessed the confrontation.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1. The referee association needs to contact the school and insist that someone other than the coach be in charge of letting the officials into their room at halftime and following the game.

2. Official A needs to get some balls. Any coach who would try that with me would find himself remaining in the lockerroom for the second half. If the school/coach didn't have me back at their institution that's fine. If you don't insist that people treat you with respect, they won't.

3. Official B needs to get some balls. Standing there while someone screams at your partner is not being a good partner.

4. If your association leadership wishes this behavior to stop, they can make it happen. It would be your duty to provide whatever support they need from you in effecting this change, since you witnessed the confrontation.
Amen!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree completely!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Referee A should either Whack the moron, or ask if he can be the guys personal towel boy at all future games.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Like protecting my partner(s) "six"......I totally agree with this assessment!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My two bits'. Flagrant T and a detailed report. I probably would have turned around and walked back to the court to charge the technical foul as soon as the verbal abuse became apparent. No way I'm standing there and taking that.
And, assuming the profanities during the game were directed at the official, those would have earned a quick T as well. It might have told the coach he couldn't get away with that.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

When I was a young lad getting started in officiating, I had a similar experience. A junior high coach came into our locker room at halftime and chewed on me for a couple of minutes. I didn't do anything for two reasons: 1. I was young and inexperienced. 2. It was my old junior high coach and I was quite shocked he would do this. I regreted not sticking him after the game and ever since. No way it happens now. This is one time I might be inclined to give the stop sign , out of sight, just stick my hand right in his face and tell him to save it. I would have no problem starting the second half with a T if he didn't comply. If he were the one with the keys to my dressing room and wouldn't open it after the first one, he would be real close to the 2nd one as well.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

(This rant is NFHS based)

Far be it from me, a 4th year official just now starting to do varsity, to normally question the competence of a brother(sister) official. BUT....I really question whether the victim is ready to handle varsity basketball based on the OP. There is no way an official IMHO, should EVER tolerate profanity on the court. Not from players. Not from coaches. Frankly, not even from fans. Regular profanity is an automatic T. Screaming as described in the OP is flagerant. I agee. Bye-bye. And paperwork to the State High School Association. (Which is mandatory in Ohio for ejections.)

This situation is so eggregious, I'm actually getting fired up reading about it.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Read Your Manuals

In The Back Of Your Rules Book Is "the Coaches Code Of Ethics". The Coaches Have This Same Rule Book.

In The Back Of Your Officials Manual You'll Find "the Duties Of Game Management", The Administrators Have This Copy Also. Use Documentation By Nfhs To Back Yourself Up If Needed. You Have Witnesses, Nothing Else Needed But To Address The Problem.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:04am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no way a coach would be yelling and screaming at me off the court in that way. If this is a HS game, this would be filed as what we call a "Special Report" which is used for ejection reports or anything unusual that might need to be brought to the attention of our state. My official's association has no power over this. My assignor might also want to know what took place as well.

Before all of that, the coach would have known that his behavior was not acceptable by me in some way even if I was not working the game. You are not going to yelling and scream at me after the game is over.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65
I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have been officiating sub-varsity basketball for just a few years and I’ve been visiting this site to learn from the experiences and opinions of others. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share.

An incident happened recently that I witnessed and I’m seeking your thoughts. As with all events, there are numerous side issues but I want to distill this and limit the discussion to some central questions.

A local high school has a successful basketball program with a well-known coach [Coach]. A few days ago, I attended their home game. Before the game, I had exchanged greetings with the two varsity officials [A and B], and they invited me to their locker room at halftime. By halftime, Coach’s team was soundly beating the opponent. I watched from high in the bleachers and didn’t notice any controversial official’s calls.

As invited, I went to the officials’ room at halftime. As I passed through the locker area and went around a corner to wait in front of the officials’ dressing room, Coach was screaming about someone with no restraint about his volume or his profanities. A moment later, the officials entered the area and I realized Coach had been waiting there to confront A. He verbally attacked A -- screamed at him, used several profanities, screamed about several calls/no-calls, screamed that he should go back to where he came from (A just rejoined our association after being out of area for several years), etc., etc. Any attempts by A to respond were interrupted by more screaming. As mentioned, I was just around a corner and did not see this -- I only heard this portion of the tirade. This continued for perhaps a minute or so, then they all came around the corner so the coach could unlock the officials’ locker room. At that point I both heard and saw as the shouting continued (it never abated) as Coach unlocked the door and I followed A and B into the officials’ room. I do not recall at any time during the verbal attack hearing B attempt to mitigate the confrontation or intercede on A’s behalf.

After the door was closed, A shared that he had been warned by “about twenty” other officials that Coach would test him. He reviewed the plays that had apparently upset Coach but felt comfortable with his calls and his officiating. He quoted a couple of the coach’s comments during the first half, including some profanities from the coaching box.

B stated that he was on Coach’s approved list of officials and he therefore gets a “pass” from Coach. He told A he had two choices -- he (A) could issue a technical foul or he could let it go. If he (A) issued the technical, he (B) would support him. No technical was issued at the start of the second half.

A told the association assigner and at least one other association board member about this incident. They are aware that I witnessed it.

Based on your experiences and the practices of your association, what do you think the following should have done differently or should do now?

A:
B:
Me:
The officials association:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions.
A: Simple answer, the head coach is ejected. This is a no brainer. Yes, I have to do paperwork, but that kind of behavior is not tolerated anytime.
B: Grow a backbone.
You: Bet ready to give your version of the story
Association: Back up your officials.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

A: "Coach, open the g** d@mn door and get the f**k out of my face"
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Me (to Coach): "Thank you for your input coach. Now, I need you to go talk to your team and get them ready for the second half, and please prepare your assistant to coach them. You won't be returning for the second half. Thank you Coach. Have a good night."

Start the second half with 4 Free Throws by the visiting team, and the visiting team gets the ball at the division line. Oh, and make sure that the technical fouls are correctly annotated in the official book.

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 11:46am.