The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Opinions on this? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/52929-opinions.html)

billgates51 Wed Apr 22, 2009 09:19pm

Opinions on this?

Please help settle a debate. Would anyone here throw a flag on #51 for the blocks in this video? Is this type of Blocking "unsportsmanlike"?

Specifically blocks at :52 and 1:14 where a player is on the ground? No flags were thrown, but is it illegal to block a player that is on the ground?

YouTube - 8 year old's Football Highlights Part 1

Any input appreciated. (I'm not an official).

JRutledge Wed Apr 22, 2009 09:31pm

It looks like you are new, welcome to the forum. I do not know if you are an official, but a block cannot be unsportsmanlike. Unsportsmanlike acts are basically non-contact fouls. These all involve contact.

The first block I saw nothing wrong. The kid was blocking and was making sure the player was out of the play.

The second block (if I have the right block) at best might have been a BIB (Block in the back) but it was hard to tell where the contact took place in the pile.

This is football right? ;)

Peace

waltjp Wed Apr 22, 2009 09:33pm

There were several blocks that might have drawn a flag. There's no need to hit a defender when he's on the ground, especially in the back. Nor is there a need to block a defender at the 10 yard line when the ball carrier is already in the end zone.

With 8-year olds it's usually a 'talk-to' first but at some point the talking has to stop.

Ref inSoCA Wed Apr 22, 2009 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billgates51 (Post 597336)
Please help settle a debate. Would anyone here throw a flag on #51 for the blocks in this video? Is this type of Blocking "unsportsmanlike"?

Specifically for clips at :52 and 1:09

YouTube - 8 year old's Football Highlights Part 1

Any input appreciated.

I don't see a clip at :52 or 1:09. Nothing to flag.

Those blocks are "talk to" blocks. The kid looks like a budding head case but is probably a reflection on his coach.

Fedex Thu Apr 23, 2009 07:42am

One thing I did notice is the extreme pinching of the wing officials on some of these plays. I know it's youth football, but they were almost getting in the way. There were some sloppy mechanics as well. Just because it's youth football doesn't mean you should take it any less seriously than a high school varsity game. In fact, it's the perfect environment to really work on your mechanics. You just never know who is watching you!

Scott

goodnews Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:29am

flag or not

In the first block it was not a needed block but B was trying to get back in the play talk to A on that one. On the second play it is a bolck in the back.

Ed Hickland Thu Apr 23, 2009 09:00am

The first block looked marginally ok, he blocked the player to the ground, broke contact then blocked him again when you might think the player is defenseless. Looked like the R was walking over to talk to the player which is the appropriate action.

The secondblock was unnecessary, player on the ground, therefore, out of the play, when the player blocked him from behind.

What both blocks had in common was they were away from the point of attack and had no material affect on the play.

Neither block was technically unsportsmanlike as there was contact as Rut said in an earlier post; however, the contact was unnecessary and the players needed to be warned. More than likely the player may have been coached such as "hit somebody" we hear all too often.

Most officials would not flag this conduct because it had no affect on the play but the play might get added attention from the officials and subsequent marginal actions could cost him a ride on the bench.

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 23, 2009 09:08am

Could be Unnecessary Roughness at 1:16 and Horsecollars at 3:10 and 6:15.

Other than that, he looks like a very good player.

Mike L Thu Apr 23, 2009 02:02pm

Who the heck makes a couple of "hi-lite" films of an 8 year old to be posted on UTube? I mean really.

JugglingReferee Thu Apr 23, 2009 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 597473)
Who the heck makes a couple of "hi-lite" films of an 8 year old to be posted on UTube? I mean really.

Someone who plans on a big future for their kid, or to push their kid's perceived ability over others'.

JRutledge Thu Apr 23, 2009 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 597381)
One thing I did notice is the extreme pinching of the wing officials on some of these plays. I know it's youth football, but they were almost getting in the way. There were some sloppy mechanics as well. Just because it's youth football doesn't mean you should take it any less seriously than a high school varsity game. In fact, it's the perfect environment to really work on your mechanics. You just never know who is watching you!

Scott

I hope you do not really think that these officials are necessarily varsity officials. This is the place many people start. Officials who are often working these games are not varsity officials in the first place.

Peace

Fedex Thu Apr 23, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 597481)
I hope you do not really think that these officials are necessarily varsity officials. This is the place many people start. Officials who are often working these games are not varsity officials in the first place.

Peace

I didn't assume that they were varsity officials. I have just never seen an official pinch in that tight before. I guess it caught my attention more than the 8 year old bulldozer. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that they could be first year officials and I apologize for that. If they were vets and just lazy, then that is a different story.

Scott

ajmc Thu Apr 23, 2009 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedex (Post 597494)
I didn't assume that they were varsity officials. I have just never seen an official pinch in that tight before. I guess it caught my attention more than the 8 year old bulldozer. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that they could be first year officials and I apologize for that. If they were vets and just lazy, then that is a different story.

Scott

In many areas the same officials who work at the varsity level also work youth league games, and thinking that positioning, especially on the wings, should be the same for 8 year olds as it is for varsity games is ridiculous. We need to adjust and adapt to the game we're working, rather than be rigid in complying with a recommended mechanic that is not practical for the level we're dealing with.

The wider positioning recommended for varsity level contests is a direct response and reaction to the skill level of the players and the variety of formations and strategies being employed. Wing officials camping out on their respective sidelines, at most youth level games, contribute precious little to the game thats usually being played a lot closer to where the ball is being snapped. When play, at these levels, does turn outside it's much easier to maintain an appropriate separation because of the skill level of the participants.

There's simply no need to be as wide at younger level youth league contests, because the risk of being out flanked is so much lower and the need for helping control the players reactions is so much greater.

The caution is always not to get too close, but the play should be within sight.

Robert Goodman Thu Apr 23, 2009 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike L (Post 597473)

The same people who post videos of their children doing anything. It's mostly a convenient host for geographically distant friends & family. I'm sure they're not seeking to be scouted! I can't watch the videos from here, but if it they look like those of a high school player seeking to be scouted, that's just part of the gag that says, "See, we can do this just like they do for grown-ups."-- which gag is repeated in tons of non-sports videos on YouTube.

Robert in the Bronx

dumbref Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:32pm

I’m drafting #51. He doesn’t fire off the ball very well, but he is in a bad mood when he gets there.