The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it was weak, change the rule. You cannot hit the holder ever on your own no matter when it happens or how it happens. He was not blocked into him and he had time to avoid any contact. That is the rule at all levels!!!!! (Maybe not the new A-11 Federation )
Wrong play. Dansby was called for roughing the passer when he knocked Ben down.

Quote:
I do not remember the play and honestly do not care.
Ticky-tack defensive holding call when the DB made a great play.

Quote:
The official answer, the replay officials already reviewed the play and did not need to take a different look. It was a fumble, the ball was knocked out of his hand. His arm going forward has nothing to do with a pass when you lose control of the ball. It is called "empty hands." It is not only a common call, but not one that always needs a review. But you knew that right?
Translation: The NFL looked at it and realized they might have to overturn the biggest call of the game, so they tell everyone they reviewed it upstairs and called it good.

Side note: Instant replay is a freaking joke.

Quote:
Then stop acting like a dumbazz. When you get an explanation you claim you know more than anyone here. And you have never officiated a mini mite game before.
You don't know that.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm going to say this and be done with this foolishness. The crew did not have a perfect game. If you take the time to actually read some of the officiating forums, you will see this is discussed amongst officials.

You can even feel you had a lousy game, but as an official, to come onto a forum for a sport you do not officiate and to show a total lack of respect for your fellow officials is reprehensible. There are games I feel that NBA officials did not have a great game, I believe that game six of the 2002 Western Conference finals was a good example of such. I'm not about to jump on the basketball forum and start slamming the officials, calling them incompetent, etc. We should be above that and show some professional courtesey where it is due.

I doubt this will sink in, but I am hoping that somewhere it will eventually. We take enough garbage from fans, coaches and even players, we don't need to deal with it from each other. Hopefully as you grow as an official, you will come to realize this.
Fair enough. It may not even be the officials themselves, although I do think NFL officials are the most inconsistent of any in pro sports.

I'm even more upset with the NFL itself for what it has become. The roughing the passer rules are ridiculous. The celebration rules are ridiculous. That doesn't even scratch the surface. As I said in my last reply, instant replay is a joke.

Believe it or not, I'm not the only person who thinks the NFL favors certain teams over others.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Wrong play. Dansby was called for roughing the passer when he knocked Ben down.
I did not like the call either, but that does not mean it was not correct. The NFL does not want unnecessary hits on QBs and I saw that same call made multiple times all year. That is what the NFL wants, that is what the NFL gets. Defensive player should have known that. Everyone seems to know that (but you of course).

Quote:
Ticky-tack defensive holding call when the DB made a great play.
I do not know if it was or if it was not. You cannot grab, contact or push a receiver after 5 yards. I saw that call all year-round.

Quote:
Translation: The NFL looked at it and realized they might have to overturn the biggest call of the game, so they tell everyone they reviewed it upstairs and called it good.

Side note: Instant replay is a freaking joke.
It really does not matter what you think the translation was, it was the right call. You do not need to review something that is correct in the first place. And you have to have control of the ball to be considered a pass. The ball cannot be on your arm, it must be in your hand.

Quote:
You don't know that.
And if you did, what qualifications does that give you?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Believe it or not, I'm not the only person who thinks the NFL favors certain teams over others.
Wow, you admit that you are apart of a bunch of idiots.
  • I guess the NFL told Kurt Warner to throw an interception on the goal line?
  • I guess the NFL was favoring a team they took a TD away from (they only got 3)?
  • I guess the NFL told Samari Rolle (on the sideline and in the 3 yard belt) to run into Larry Fitzgerald so he could not make a tackle on the Harrison before he got to the goal line?
  • I bet the NFL decided to give the eventual winning team a holding call that not only gave the losing team 2 points, but they gave them a holding call the first play of the final drive (big penalty)?
  • I guess the NFL told the Cardinals not to tackle and allowed the eventual MVP run 30-40 yards untouched before being tackled inside the 10?
  • I guess the NFL told the MVP to catch the ball with 3 people guarding him?
  • I guess the NFL told the Cardinals to have Fitzgerald score with over 2 minutes to go in the game?
  • I guess the NFL told the Cardinals to miss tackles and not get a hand on Big Ben when he moved in the pocket and made big passes?
  • I guess the NFL told the Cardinals not to block and allow their QB to make a throw without being hit?
  • I bet the NFL is at fault for Warner not having the ability as Big Ben to get away from the rush?
I could mention about 10 other things. You are right, the fix was in?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 04:41am. Reason: Adding proper spelling of Samari Rolle
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
Im not a cardinals fan, just sick of watching horrible calls in the biggest game.
I love watching your lame a@@ excuses, like it happened so fast, dude #62 had a hold of ben the whole way to the ground, we are talking multiple seconds, not just a tug
What's your lame-a$$ excuse for not answering direct questions, not acknowleging factual contridictions of your assertions, and most importantly, what is your excuse for not being an official yourself?

Just wondering as I sit here drinking cosmopolitans and inspecting my raincoats for wear and tear.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 03:50am.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The holding call against Roderick Hood at the start of the 4th quarter was awful.
Are you referring to the play where Hood grabbed Hines Ward by the back of the jersey at least 2 different times?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Im not a cardinals fan, just sick of watching horrible calls in the biggest game.
I love watching your lame a@@ excuses, like it happened so fast, dude #62 had a hold of ben the whole way to the ground, we are talking multiple seconds, not just a tug
Hey! I urged you earlier to get ahold of your local high school and college associations and get yourself signed up to be an official. How's that going? Oh. What? You're too big a pussy to do that? We can tell.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

What I don't understand is we have all these knuckleheads complaining about the officiating but not a single one is trying to be a solution to making anything better. Get off you lazy boy and go join an officiating group and work your way up to the NFL to improve what you think needs improving. As for sportswriters. In order to drive up their ratings they ALWAYS write about something they perceive to be controversial even if that means creating their own bogus rule in their mind and then write about how the officials missed it. You would never have near as many fans logging on to read about how the officials called a perfect game. Fans just don't care about the good calls an official makes, they really don't care. They'd much rather see officials make bad calls, because that's where our society has gone. We'd much rather have something to rumble about and have someone to point the finger at. But Lord knows the teams can never be blamed. They don't make mistakes right?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You realize you're accusing the officials of cheating here, right?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
What I find funny is that there are a couple of posters here who are complaining about the calls in the game. They've already made up their mind that they're correct, despite any attempt by others to explain the correct rulings and interpretations to them. The antagonists then claim that we're all officials and will blindly defend our brethren.

The truth is that if you read through this and other threads you'll see where we can be critical of our brothers. Recent threads about Ed Hochuli and Don Cherry come to mind.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

The other problem is that these knotheads don't realize that the official's view standing on the field, watching the game live is one hell of a lot different than sitting in the living room watching replays. All it takes is a glance one direction to miss something in another. Bodies, body parts, can flash in front of you at just the right moment to obscure your vision. I know for myself that I can see something, have to take a moment to process it and it's effect on the game or if it was what I really saw and I'm missing something else.

Take Rothlisberger's TD at the start of the game and the "helping the runner" call that was supposedly missed. It's possible the wing was focused on the position of the ball and didn't see much else. After all what's more important? If you throw the flag and miss where the ball is then these dumbsh8ts will be whining that he didn't see the ball. I'd rather want to know if the ball crossed the line as my first priority.

How about Warner's fumble that was reviewed and became an incomplete pass? I'm guessing there was no way for the white hat to see his arm in the position he was in when he threw the ball. However, one thing is very clear and that was Warner's fumble at the end of the game. I had no doubt it was a fumble. These knotheads just find it easier to sit back and whine than to get off their lazy butts and become an official.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
What I find funny is that there are a couple of posters here who are complaining about the calls in the game. They've already made up their mind that they're correct, despite any attempt by others to explain the correct rulings and interpretations to them. The antagonists then claim that we're all officials and will blindly defend our brethren.

The truth is that if you read through this and other threads you'll see where we can be critical of our brothers. Recent threads about Ed Hochuli and Don Cherry come to mind.
Fans are very rarely interested in reality in discussions like this. They are more interested in pissing and moaning.

They ask questions, but then when their questions get answered the person answering is either FOS or "covering up for the refs." That's just the way it is.

I spend a lot of time on a couple of college fan forums and it's really pretty comical. I used to try to explain rulings etc., but you know it's bad when you can provide a quote directly from the rule book and still be informed that you are wrong.

I have learned to let Matthew 7:6 be my guide.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Fans are very rarely interested in reality in discussions like this. They are more interested in pissing and moaning.
The above is something we all should have learned by the end of the first quarter of our first game. Likely the reason most of us, at least the rational ones, have learned to totally ignore anything that comes out of the spectator area.

Every now and then a serious fan will ask a reasonable question in a respectful manner at an appropriate opportunity, because he/she is seriously interested in knowing the answer. Occassionally that happens on these forums, and most replys are intended to be helpful and instructional.

Unfortunately, most of the really stupid, rabid fans who shout and yell dumb things, know how to type. Ignoring their ignorant rantings on the field is a great way of dealing with them, it would probably work as well on line.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One other thing for the choir boys, Why was #62 not flagged for dragging Roethlisberger into the end zone, the play was eventually overturned, but correct me if Im wrong you are not allowed to drag a player into the endzone in NFL rules are You? Official that signaled had to have seen it as it was obvious and right in front of him.
I thought the same thing when I saw that. You very rarely see "assisting the runner" called at any level but I thought that might qualify. I'm not sure what the NFL threshold is for considering that foul but I thought kdf5 made a good point on this. The only official likely to catch that would be the wing who was probably more focused on whether or not he got into the end zone. I am curious to hear if Mike P. thought that should have been called "assisting the runner."

My guess why the RTP was called was not only because the defender hit him a second after the ball released, but he extended his arms as part of the hit. He probably didn't have enough time to hold up his original charge and there was nothing outrageous about where he hit him (i.e. head) but I don't think the defender needed to extend his arms the way he did. I wonder if that was what went through McAuley's head. I don't always agree with how tough they have gotten on RTP. If that is RTP by the current definition, that is too light. We also don't know if McAuley had talked to that defender on previous plays about close calls and he continued to do it.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Unfortunately, most of the really stupid, rabid fans who shout and yell dumb things, know how to type. Ignoring their ignorant rantings on the field is a great way of dealing with them, it would probably work as well on line.
But it's not nearly as fun.