The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Probably too busy watching NFL games, trolling officiating forums and playing World of Warcraft.
World of Warcraft is for losers.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

Exactly.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

the media is the last place to cite for possible officiating errors. most of them have degrees (you hope, some of them i'm not so sure) in journalism, most probably didn't play sports past middle school and most of them have definitely never referee'd a game in any sport, and probably don't know half of the rules in said sports. they're writers who investigate and write a story for people to read. just because they cover a sport doesn't mean they necessarily understand the sport. how many journalists do you think covered the super bowl last night? how many of those journalists do you think have actually played a down of football in their life? i'll take a journalist's advice on whether or not a word is a verb or a noun, not if a call is a fumble or an incomplete pass.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are saying they screwed up you have to give more reasons than, "I just did not like that call." Or "They should have called this a foul." Peace
Here ya go. These are facts:

AZ had to use 2 challenges to correct mistakes on the field. The first ruled fumble by Warner was obviously not. Not ruling it an incomplete pass was an error that had to be corrected by challenge. The other with the spot was tougher, but the first one ruled a fumble was a kicked call.

The final play, no matter if the end result was right or wrong, should have been reviewed. How they allowed Pitt to line up and take a knee without review is inexcusable. The impact was too great to let stand without review. Since it was less than 2 mins, it was up to the officials to decide to review. They blew it.

The no call on the celebration was a kicked call no matter what. That's 15 yards and a huge no call based on the resulting field position and the time remaining in the game.

The rest were judgement. The roughing on Ben was weak. Based on his scrambling, how could that be roughing. Still, was likely within the rules and a defendable call. The holding on Warner on the return was more than someone has said. The Pitt player grabbed Warner's jersey on the shoulder and pulled to take him out of the play. No other contact, just the reach out, grab, and jerk. To me that's holding but easy to miss in a play of that type. Not sure Kurt would have made a play anyway, so yes, either a missed call or another judgement call that went the other way. The PF on Harrison resulted in zero penalty. The punted ball was downed on the one without any penalty. Because they always start on a yardline, this resulted in zero penalty assessed to Pitt. I have no idea of when he hit the person he was blocking in relation to if the ball was kicked or not so whether it should have been an automatic first down or not is not clear. Don't think it was flagrant and defintiely should not have resulted in an ejection.

More than the officiating, what stood out to me most yesterday was that Pitt is not longer the team I remember or used to admire. I used to like Pitt. I met Lynn Swann at the Superstars competition in Florida back in the 70's as a kid and always rooted them as "my" afc team, until now that is. I always looked at them as "old school" type, expecially with Cowher as coach. After yesterday, they are just another bunch of it's "all about me" players. The celebrating (I thought it was shaking salt into the wound at the time, still don't know what the LeBron tribute is?), the cheap shot by Harrison hitting the guy on the ground, them not acknowledging the other team for putting up a great fight (nope not one of the 3 I saw, Tomlin, Ben, or Holmes) in their post game interviews. I guess I'm just getting to old and not a targeted audience anymore. Everyone else but me must like the celebrating. Why else would Chad OCHO Johnson be talked about on Sundays? Me, I miss the Barry Sanders who whenever he scored, he would celebrate by handing the ball to the umpire.

Too Old to Change,
Roger
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Here ya go. These are facts:

AZ had to use 2 challenges to correct mistakes on the field. The first ruled fumble by Warner was obviously not. Not ruling it an incomplete pass was an error that had to be corrected by challenge. The other with the spot was tougher, but the first one ruled a fumble was a kicked call.

The final play, no matter if the end result was right or wrong, should have been reviewed. How they allowed Pitt to line up and take a knee without review is inexcusable. The impact was too great to let stand without review. Since it was less than 2 mins, it was up to the officials to decide to review. They blew it.

The no call on the celebration was a kicked call no matter what. That's 15 yards and a huge no call based on the resulting field position and the time remaining in the game.

The rest were judgement. The roughing on Ben was weak. Based on his scrambling, how could that be roughing. Still, was likely within the rules and a defendable call. The holding on Warner on the return was more than someone has said. The Pitt player grabbed Warner's jersey on the shoulder and pulled to take him out of the play. No other contact, just the reach out, grab, and jerk. To me that's holding but easy to miss in a play of that type. Not sure Kurt would have made a play anyway, so yes, either a missed call or another judgement call that went the other way. The PF on Harrison resulted in zero penalty. The punted ball was downed on the one without any penalty. Because they always start on a yardline, this resulted in zero penalty assessed to Pitt. I have no idea of when he hit the person he was blocking in relation to if the ball was kicked or not so whether it should have been an automatic first down or not is not clear. Don't think it was flagrant and defintiely should not have resulted in an ejection.

More than the officiating, what stood out to me most yesterday was that Pitt is not longer the team I remember or used to admire. I used to like Pitt. I met Lynn Swann at the Superstars competition in Florida back in the 70's as a kid and always rooted them as "my" afc team, until now that is. I always looked at them as "old school" type, expecially with Cowher as coach. After yesterday, they are just another bunch of it's "all about me" players. The celebrating (I thought it was shaking salt into the wound at the time, still don't know what the LeBron tribute is?), the cheap shot by Harrison hitting the guy on the ground, them not acknowledging the other team for putting up a great fight (nope not one of the 3 I saw, Tomlin, Ben, or Holmes) in their post game interviews. I guess I'm just getting to old and not a targeted audience anymore. Everyone else but me must like the celebrating. Why else would Chad OCHO Johnson be talked about on Sundays? Me, I miss the Barry Sanders who whenever he scored, he would celebrate by handing the ball to the umpire.

Too Old to Change,
Roger
More fuel for the fire!!!

Roger, the lebron impersonation is how at the start of every game he shakes a bunch of powder on his hands and then throws his hands up at the crowd near the officals table prior to the opening tip off. Its so well known that Sportscenter shows him do it quite often. Im sure youll see it someday.

here is a youtube video of both the real lebron and the nfls version

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Sant...ion-Blog-18695

One other thing for the choir boys, Why was #62 not flagged for dragging Roethlisberger into the end zone, the play was eventually overturned, but correct me if Im wrong you are not allowed to drag a player into the endzone in NFL rules are You? Official that signaled had to have seen it as it was obvious and right in front of him.

Last edited by fljet; Tue Feb 03, 2009 at 12:16am.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
the media is the last place to cite for possible officiating errors. most of them have degrees (you hope, some of them i'm not so sure) in journalism, most probably didn't play sports past middle school and most of them have definitely never referee'd a game in any sport, and probably don't know half of the rules in said sports. they're writers who investigate and write a story for people to read. just because they cover a sport doesn't mean they necessarily understand the sport. how many journalists do you think covered the super bowl last night? how many of those journalists do you think have actually played a down of football in their life? i'll take a journalist's advice on whether or not a word is a verb or a noun, not if a call is a fumble or an incomplete pass.

heres some good evidence of missed holding calls as well as harrisons punch out of #47. since half of you probably were to busy drinking cosmopolitans to take notes

http://www.worstrefcalls.com/superbowl2009.html
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
One other thing for the choir boys, Why was #62 not flagged for dragging Roethlisberger into the end zone, the play was eventually overturned, but correct me if Im wrong you are not allowed to drag a player into the endzone in NFL rules are You? Official that signaled had to have seen it as it was obvious and right in front of him.
Well for one he did not drag him into the end zone, he was short of the end zone. If you have to look at slow motion replay to know what happened, that would not be a good call to make. Players fall on each other all the time. If you want that called, I would love to see you make that call in a kiddy game. You probably would piss down your leg with all the crap you would get.

Then again, you are not an official.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
heres some good evidence of missed holding calls as well as harrisons punch out of #47. since half of you probably were to busy drinking cosmopolitans to take notes

http://www.worstrefcalls.com/superbowl2009.html
No we actually know how to call the game and have done so for real, not from just our couch.

Get over it, the game is over. Arizona lost the game. They could have stopped the Steelers in the last two minutes and they would have won. I guess the officials did not tackle very well.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just about every website in the country wrote an article about the lopsided calls, Yahoo had it as their main news topic last night. You should know since you live in Portland and live most of your live indoors or wearing a rain coat.
All I saw today was Whitlock's column in the sports section of msn.com. Not a word about the officiating in today's Oregonian. Our columnist chose to write about how exciting the finish was. What a concept!

I know, I know. We don't have an NFL team, so what would he know about football, right?

It was mid-40s and partly cloudy yesterday. I went for a nice walk without my coat before the game.

I cannot understand why some people will not let the game go once it's over. Then again, most officials can put past games behind them.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No we actually know how to call the game and have done so for real, not from just our couch.

Get over it, the game is over. Arizona lost the game. They could have stopped the Steelers in the last two minutes and they would have won. I guess the officials did not tackle very well.
Im not a cardinals fan, just sick of watching horrible calls in the biggest game.
I love watching your lame a@@ excuses, like it happened so fast, dude #62 had a hold of ben the whole way to the ground, we are talking multiple seconds, not just a tug
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Im not a cardinals fan, just sick of watching horrible calls in the biggest game.
I love watching your lame a@@ excuses, like it happened so fast, dude #62 had a hold of ben the whole way to the ground, we are talking multiple seconds, not just a tug
Honestly I do not care if you are a Cardinal fan or a Ram's fan.

You keep talking about lame excuses but you are coming to a gun fight with a knife. You are like talking to 1st grader about college stuff. You do not even understand the rules you are claiming were missed or not called. The best example is who tripped over someone as if that absolves someone from a foul (Oh Brother).

And holding is called based a couple of philosophies. Having a jersey is not holding and never is called that way at the pro level or the college level. If a player is getting beat and driven into the ground, that is not going to be called holding. And in the NFL they want a take down, not just a tug for some seconds. And the defender has to do something to try get away. It is called "stronger legs." If they called it the way you wanted, then you would not have a single play without a penalty. You have to do a little more than just have a jersey. But dope heads like you get mad at all the penalties, but have no idea when a penalty is committed by the standards of the rules and the interpretations the rules makers give them.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

You just gotta love these nutless, done nothing, been nowhere types going on about "this call or that call was so flagrant or so obvious" BS.

There are those who can do and those who can do no more than complain. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

After watching the video, the roughing penalty on Dansby was WEAK. This is the freaking NFL, not tiddlywinks.

The holding call against Roderick Hood at the start of the 4th quarter was awful.

Nobody has explained why the final "fumble" by Warner wasn't reviewed on the field. You all keep claiming it was a fumble, but how would the officials on the field know without replay?

Keep up with the character attacks about age, etc. It makes you guys look more desperate.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
After watching the video, the roughing penalty on Dansby was WEAK. This is the freaking NFL, not tiddlywinks.
If it was weak, change the rule. You cannot hit the holder ever on your own no matter when it happens or how it happens. He was not blocked into him and he had time to avoid any contact. That is the rule at all levels!!!!! (Maybe not the new A-11 Federation )

Quote:
The holding call against Roderick Hood at the start of the 4th quarter was awful.
I do not remember the play and honestly do not care.

Quote:
Nobody has explained why the final "fumble" by Warner wasn't reviewed on the field. You all keep claiming it was a fumble, but how would the officials on the field know without replay?
Why should anyone tell you, you already know the rules and understand the philosophies.

The official answer, the replay officials already reviewed the play and did not need to take a different look. It was a fumble, the ball was knocked out of his hand. His arm going forward has nothing to do with a pass when you lose control of the ball. It is called "empty hands." It is not only a common call, but not one that always needs a review. But you knew that right?

Quote:
Keep up with the character attacks about age, etc. It makes you guys look more desperate.
Then stop acting like a dumbazz. When you get an explanation you claim you know more than anyone here. And you have never officiated a mini mite game before.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:33am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm going to say this and be done with this foolishness. The crew did not have a perfect game. If you take the time to actually read some of the officiating forums, you will see this is discussed amongst officials.

You can even feel you had a lousy game, but as an official, to come onto a forum for a sport you do not officiate and to show a total lack of respect for your fellow officials is reprehensible. There are games I feel that NBA officials did not have a great game, I believe that game six of the 2002 Western Conference finals was a good example of such. I'm not about to jump on the basketball forum and start slamming the officials, calling them incompetent, etc. We should be above that and show some professional courtesey where it is due.

I doubt this will sink in, but I am hoping that somewhere it will eventually. We take enough garbage from fans, coaches and even players, we don't need to deal with it from each other. Hopefully as you grow as an official, you will come to realize this.