The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post

#5 facemasks happen quick like everything else, if you have a 5 yarder your not killing a team for a non flagrant twist and or pull. And Im not an idiot I know the after the play official huddles are to discuss wether it was a 5 or a 15 and then who is it on, well when they had the two options.

Apparently you are, since you don't understand how the current facemask rule works.

Anything that was previously a 5 yarder is now no longer penalized. So how are teams getting killed for a "non-flagrant twist and pull"? Oh and if it was either twisted or pulled it's 15. Period.

At least learn the rules before you b!tch about them.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
My agenda was to point out that there were an abnormal amount of questionable calls and actions in this game, 90% of them helping PITTS.
The majority of questions about the calls on the field are from those who do not understand the rules and their interpretations. That includes the righteous media.

Quote:
I also knew coming in to the game that Mcually's crew called the most penalties in the NFL this year and absolutely predicted prior to the game that this game would come down to a call.
Fact - this was not McAulay's crew. The crew consisted of officials who graded out the highest at their position during the season. This also points to the fact that this is the way the league wants the game to be called.

Quote:
Again I am a neutral fan who was disappointed because I like millions of other neutral fans dont think the Cards got a fair shot, just like the Seahawks in 2005.
Again, your opinion of the calls is of little consequence to the NFL. This is how they want the game called. btw - the offensive pass interference against Seattle was a terrific call!

Quote:
If you think this game was officiated well and you dont agree, then you are just drinking the Mike P. kool aid, wake up and smell the coffee.
The comment above seems to contradict the following statement.

Quote:
and Im not saying anyone on this that comments is right or wrong
Quote:
The fans are the ones that pay the bills and as being a season ticket holder for 12 years I am entitled to my opinion.
Everyone has an opinion. But having an opinion doesn't make you correct.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
on #1 im talking about the official looking into a camera, have someone else make the ruling, not who decides if there will be a replay I know that is done inside of two minutes by the booth.
Name one play where this was a problem?

Quote:
on #2 there are not twenty instances per game where the qb gets hit in the act of throwing, get real!!! Maybe 1-2 per game if you average it all out.
Take it up with the NFL. The NFL is a business and they do not want their marquee players out (like Tom Brady) all season long because they get hit illegally. So the NFL Competition Committee (which is not made up of officials BTW) cracked down on these kinds of hits. The NFL would have rather had Tom Brady all season in the playoffs than Matt Ryan that might not win anything. I can guarantee you that one. If you are a season ticket holder, take that up with the NFL or give back your tickets. I am sure someone will take them without any problem.

Quote:
#4 did you see Mike Carey get leveled by Matt Ryan? Have you ever seen a flank run into a player or coach? Do you watch football?
I can guarantee you, I watch more football than you will ever know. Mike Carey getting run into did not prevent the other officials to make a ruling on the play. Actually the Referee is only a secondary person on these kinds of plays. If you were an official, you might know that.

Quote:
#5 facemasks happen quick like everything else, if you have a 5 yarder your not killing a team for a non flagrant twist and or pull. And Im not an idiot I know the after the play official huddles are to discuss wether it was a 5 or a 15 and then who is it on, well when they had the two options.
More ignorance. A 15 yard facemask is not a "flagrant penalty." A flagrant act involves an ejection and I have not seen anyone ejected lately for a facemask and neither have you. If you are going to complain about something, at least know why the penalty is called.

Quote:
And yes I understand the NFL rules committee and not the officials make the rules, Im not as ignorant as you keep trying to make me be.

You asked me what I would change that was shooting from my hip
Well then you need to take that up with those people. I think the bottom line you are scared to become an officials because you could not handle people questioning your judgments (like we are doing now). Then and only then will people maybe start to respect your opinions because it will be based on facts, not what you think the rules are.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In 23 years of watching multiple NFL games per week...
Your experience in these matters pretty much says it all.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And yes I understand the NFL rules committee and not the officials make the rules, Im not as ignorant as you keep trying to make me be.

There is no such thing as a "non flagrant twist and pull." By rule ANY twist and pull is automatically a 15 yard penalty. The 5 yard penalty was for a grasp and release. Don't confuse the word incidental with accidental. Player's are considered to always be in control of their actions, there are no accidents in the rule book.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
But what does Keither Olbermann think?
He thinks Big Ben is the worst person in the world; because Limbaugh is a Steelers fan.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Originally Posted by fljet
In 23 years of watching multiple NFL games per week...

Your experience in these matters pretty much says it all.
I've been watching airplanes go over my house for 25 years...that does not make me a pilot!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
I've been watching airplanes go over my house for 25 years...that does not make me a pilot!
Only if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

The closest analogy I can think of to describe the value of some of the comments, observations and suggestions made regarding the SB officiating would be adding a spectator section to an Emergency room, so those who have either participated in or witnessed prior accidents could shout "opinions" to the ER doctors.

Sometimes it seems we forget it's the game itself, and how it's played (which includes coached, managed and officiated) which creates the interest and attraction that draws the spectators. Spectators buy tickets so they can, hopefully, enjoy watching the game unfold.

As evidenced by some of the comments made here, spectating does not necessarily impart great wisdom or an acute understanding of the fine points of the game. The vast majority of spectators understand their role is to observe, enjoy and be entertained and are totally satisfied with those benefits.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

2 things

#1 - The Holmes imitation of LeBron James... How is what Holmes did any different than tossing the ball or spiking the ball, or doing the weave through the legs with the ball? Seriously. I thought at first it should have been flagged, but then thought it about it for while. If the ball is a prop then every TD would end with a foul. Not sure I'd flag this after thinking a while.

#2 - Last fumble by Warner... I really thought, and still do think, this should have been ruled an incomplete forward pass. I cannot believe it was not reviewed at least. This brings up the right of challenge by coaches inside 2:00. Why not allow those challenges? Arizona already correctly challenged two during the game after all.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
he thinks big ben is the worst person in the world; because limbaugh is a steelers fan.
hahahahaha. Lmao!!!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rick KY;576143]#1 - The Holmes imitation of LeBron James... How is what Holmes did any different than tossing the ball or spiking the ball, or doing the weave through the legs with the ball? Seriously. I thought at first it should have been flagged, but then thought it about it for while. If the ball is a prop then every TD would end with a foul. Not sure I'd flag this after thinking a while.
[QUOTE]

While I agree that it's not terribly different, the NFL has specifically targeted acts like that, as opposed to spikes and tosses.

I'm a Steeler fan and first thing I thought when he did that was Oh ****, cuz I knew it was fixing to cost them 15.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Apparently you are, since you don't understand how the current facemask rule works.

Anything that was previously a 5 yarder is now no longer penalized. So how are teams getting killed for a "non-flagrant twist and pull"? Oh and if it was either twisted or pulled it's 15. Period.

At least learn the rules before you b!tch about them.
If you read my thread I am saying I would like to have the 5 and the 15 back, and before the rule was changed there are sometimes hudldles by officials to determine if it is a 5 or 15. not that a face mask penalty in the superbowl should have been a five yarder.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Fact - this was not McAulay's crew. The crew consisted of officials who graded out the highest at their position during the season. This also points to the fact that this is the way the league wants the game to be called.

So your telling me that Mcually didnt probably have hours of pregame preparation with his crew to discuss how the game would be officiated, doesnt really matter who is crew was it was who was in charge on the field during the game. Mcually was the one who kept screwing up and was inconsistent on his responsibilities anyways, so keep sticking up for him.

Everyone has an opinion. But having an opinion doesn't make you correct.[/QUOTE]
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So your telling me that Mcually didnt probably have hours of pregame preparation with his crew to discuss how the game would be officiated, doesnt really matter who is crew was it was who was in charge on the field during the game. Mcually was the one who kept screwing up and was inconsistent on his responsibilities anyways, so keep sticking up for him.
This is another example of your ignorance and ability to stay ignorant.

Crews do not talk about what they are going to call during the game. You review responsibilities of the crew, like who has what type of coverage and how that will be handled in certain plays that you might be aware of, but the NFL has already reviewed with those officials what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. And the Referee (Mcully) is not watching the entire field and in no way controls what everyone calls. When officials call a penalty, he just administrates the penalty. He does not necessarily have personal knowledge of the penalty or why it was called. It is abundantly clear you do not even know that by your comments and just more reason you are getting criticized. Honestly, it is not about defending anyone on the crew. If you are going to have a criticism, at the very least criticize the right person for the right reasons. But that would take knowledge and common sense to come to that conclusion. Things you seem to be lacking big time.

A person that officiates Pee-Wee Ball would have known these things.

Peace