The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'm even more upset with the NFL itself for what it has become. The roughing the passer rules are ridiculous. The celebration rules are ridiculous. That doesn't even scratch the surface. As I said in my last reply, instant replay is a joke.
Then why are you complaining on an Officials' Forum?
No official in any sport writes the rules or devises instant replay.

That is the province of team and league management.

After all your whining the bottom line is you don't like the NFL very much.

Yet you admit to watching 10-12 NFL games a week.

Either you are a masochist or you choose to deny your real reason for complaining:

Your team didn't win.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
Then why are you complaining on an Officials' Forum?
No official in any sport writes the rules or devises instant replay.

That is the province of team and league management.

After all your whining the bottom line is you don't like the NFL very much.

Yet you admit to watching 10-12 NFL games a week.

Either you are a masochist or you choose to deny your real reason for complaining:

Your team didn't win.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
What I find funny is that there are a couple of POSERS here who are complaining about the calls in the game. They've already made up their mind that they're correct, despite any attempt by others to explain the correct rulings and interpretations to them. The antagonists then claim that we're all officials and will blindly defend our brethren.

The truth is that if you read through this and other threads you'll see where we can be critical of our brothers. Recent threads about Ed Hochuli and Don Cherry come to mind.

Fixed that for ya' Walt.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the game had alot more penalties called than in normal big games. But most of them were STUPID mistakes by both teams that should have been called. On the roughing the holder, I first thought it was roughing the snapper, then I saw the replay and I couldn't believe someone would be that dumb to do that. (I'm a Warner fan so I wanted AZ to win). Obviously it seemed like AZ was doing all the dumb things in the first half, then Pitt caught up with them in the 2nd. I think the officials stayed out of it the best they could, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. And they did.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Harrison Personal foul

To me, it looks like Harrison was upset for the attempted block on his knees by Francisco. I've seen players get thrown out of an NFL or NCAA game for far less things. I would not have been surprised if Harrison had been ejected if the officials thought his first strike was a punch. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrAbErvQ54&eurl
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Peter King seems to have reached the same opinion as the majority here.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 05:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Peter King seems to have reached the same opinion as the majority here.
But what does Keither Olbermann think?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
What I don't understand is we have all these knuckleheads complaining about the officiating but not a single one is trying to be a solution to making anything better. Get off you lazy boy and go join an officiating group and work your way up to the NFL to improve what you think needs improving. As for sportswriters. In order to drive up their ratings they ALWAYS write about something they perceive to be controversial even if that means creating their own bogus rule in their mind and then write about how the officials missed it. You would never have near as many fans logging on to read about how the officials called a perfect game. Fans just don't care about the good calls an official makes, they really don't care. They'd much rather see officials make bad calls, because that's where our society has gone. We'd much rather have something to rumble about and have someone to point the finger at. But Lord knows the teams can never be blamed. They don't make mistakes right?
1.I got one solution, stop letting the referee on the field rule on instant replay, have a central office in NY and force Mike Perriera to cover his own *** and not officials. I believe both MLB and NHL have this format, takes the pressure of the head official anyways Im sure they wont mind.

2.Automatic Review all forward pass fumble deals, NFL REFs are very inconsistent on these type of plays.

The first forward pass from SB43, ruled a fumble is a great example, a team should not have to waste a challenge because Mcually and his crew couldnt make a gut decision in crunchtime. It was not even that close in my opinion. A big surprise the 2nd one was ruled a fumble?

3. Get rid of celebration bull**** rules, most are hillarious to watch and do not cause any harm. This is the NFL not pop warner.

4. add another official behind the referee to rule on long returns, since most flanks in the NFL cant get down the field at the same speed as the players. Or get ran over trying to get down the middle of the field. THe flank in the SB was to busy dodging players and coaches on the sideline to see any of the blocks anyways and was WAY behind the play even though harrison runs a 6.5 in the 40

5. No more 15 yard only facemask, anyone who has played footbal knows that incidental contact occurs often. too judgemental of a call. takes the pressure of the official.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
1.I got one solution, stop letting the referee on the field rule on instant replay, have a central office in NY and force Mike Perriera to cover his own *** and not officials. I believe both MLB and NHL have this format, takes the pressure of the head official anyways Im sure they wont mind.

2.Automatic Review all forward pass fumble deals, NFL REFs are very inconsistent on these type of plays.

The first forward pass from SB43, ruled a fumble is a great example, a team should not have to waste a challenge because Mcually and his crew couldnt make a gut decision in crunchtime. It was not even that close in my opinion. A big surprise the 2nd one was ruled a fumble?

3. Get rid of celebration bull**** rules, most are hillarious to watch and do not cause any harm. This is the NFL not pop warner.

4. add another official behind the referee to rule on long returns, since most flanks in the NFL cant get down the field at the same speed as the players. Or get ran over trying to get down the middle of the field. THe flank in the SB was to busy dodging players and coaches on the sideline to see any of the blocks anyways and was WAY behind the play even though harrison runs a 6.5 in the 40

5. No more 15 yard only facemask, anyone who has played footbal knows that incidental contact occurs often. too judgemental of a call. takes the pressure of the official.
What about the part where you become an official?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Another level of ignorance.

Quote:
The Referee on the field does not have anything to do with deciding the instant replay. Outside of 2 minutes the coach has the ability to challenge any play within the rules. The Referee has no say when or when they do not review plays; they just apply the challenge if it is for the right reason allowed by the NFL. MLB only reviews plays that involve home runs; they do not review all plays or have the ability to review most plays under the current guidelines. Not ball/strike calls, no out/safe calls, not even fair foul unless it involves home runs.

Quote:

Then you would have a delay every time this happen. The current problem with replay is that you would have potentially 20 reviews. Also there are very few NFL officials get wrong. And there are not many conclusive angles. Unless the NFL is going to have grass cameras, you are not going to see all plays anyway.

Quote:
Well the NFL wants to keep a certain image and the other levels have in the past pleaded with the NFL to make these actions illegal. I do not completely disagree about changing the rules, but they are what they are. This has nothing to do with the officials. Officials do not write the rules on these. They only enforce them.

Quote:
Not going to happen. For one there have not been any problems with long runs. The same issues that are made on other plays are the same issues if the field is flipped.

Quote:
It is not a hard call to make. But how would you know. I did not see any problem with these calls.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Fans are very rarely interested in reality in discussions like this. They are more interested in pissing and moaning.

They ask questions, but then when their questions get answered the person answering is either FOS or "covering up for the refs." That's just the way it is.

I spend a lot of time on a couple of college fan forums and it's really pretty comical. I used to try to explain rulings etc., but you know it's bad when you can provide a quote directly from the rule book and still be informed that you are wrong.

I have learned to let Matthew 7:6 be my guide.
Point well taken, I am not saying Im right or wrong, and Im not saying anyone on this that comments is right or wrong. My agenda was to point out that there were an abnormal amount of questionable calls and actions in this game, 90% of them helping PITTS. What prompts me to do this is about ten of you saying that you thought the crew did a "great job" is bologna. I also knew coming in to the game that Mcually's crew called the most penalties in the NFL this year and absolutely predicted prior to the game that this game would come down to a call. (Which is why I took the cards +7 and made an assload of money)
I understand that it is not easy to get all the calls right, nor would I expect that to happen, but when you have a game like that it causes fans to lose confidence in the officiating. Again I am a neutral fan who was disappointed because I like millions of other neutral fans dont think the Cards got a fair shot, just like the Seahawks in 2005.

If you think this game was officiated well and you dont agree, then you are just drinking the Mike P. kool aid, wake up and smell the coffee. The fans are the ones that pay the bills and as being a season ticket holder for 12 years I am entitled to my opinion.

PEACE
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What about the part where you become an official?
Yeah, but that would actually take some balls.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The Referee on the field does not have anything to do with deciding the instant replay. Outside of 2 minutes the coach has the ability to challenge any play within the rules. The Referee has no say when or when they do not review plays; they just apply the challenge if it is for the right reason allowed by the NFL. MLB only reviews plays that involve home runs; they do not review all plays or have the ability to review most plays under the current guidelines. Not ball/strike calls, no out/safe calls, not even fair foul unless it involves home runs.

Then you would have a delay every time this happen. The current problem with replay is that you would have potentially 20 reviews. Also there are very few NFL officials get wrong. And there are not many conclusive angles. Unless the NFL is going to have grass cameras, you are not going to see all plays anyway.

Well the NFL wants to keep a certain image and the other levels have in the past pleaded with the NFL to make these actions illegal. I do not completely disagree about changing the rules, but they are what they are. This has nothing to do with the officials. Officials do not write the rules on these. They only enforce them.

Not going to happen. For one there have not been any problems with long runs. The same issues that are made on other plays are the same issues if the field is flipped.

It is not a hard call to make. But how would you know. I did not see any problem with these calls.

Peace

on #1 im talking about the official looking into a camera, have someone else make the ruling, not who decides if there will be a replay I know that is done inside of two minutes by the booth.

on #2 there are not twenty instances per game where the qb gets hit in the act of throwing, get real!!! Maybe 1-2 per game if you average it all out.

#4 did you see Mike Carey get leveled by Matt Ryan? Have you ever seen a flank run into a player or coach? Do you watch football?

#5 facemasks happen quick like everything else, if you have a 5 yarder your not killing a team for a non flagrant twist and or pull. And Im not an idiot I know the after the play official huddles are to discuss wether it was a 5 or a 15 and then who is it on, well when they had the two options.

And yes I understand the NFL rules committee and not the officials make the rules, Im not as ignorant as you keep trying to make me be.

You asked me what I would change that was shooting from my hip
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Point well taken, I am not saying Im right or wrong, and Im not saying anyone on this that comments is right or wrong. My agenda was to point out that there were an abnormal amount of questionable calls and actions in this game, 90% of them helping PITTS. What prompts me to do this is about ten of you saying that you thought the crew did a "great job" is bologna. I also knew coming in to the game that Mcually's crew called the most penalties in the NFL this year and absolutely predicted prior to the game that this game would come down to a call. (Which is why I took the cards +7 and made an assload of money)
I understand that it is not easy to get all the calls right, nor would I expect that to happen, but when you have a game like that it causes fans to lose confidence in the officiating. Again I am a neutral fan who was disappointed because I like millions of other neutral fans dont think the Cards got a fair shot, just like the Seahawks in 2005.
The biggest myth is sports are that fouls are supposed to be even. Just like players and teams to not make equally great plays, you cannot expect players and teams to make the same number of mistakes. Officials officiate mistakes. If everyone followed the rules, you would not need officials. Someone has to be out there to identify those mistakes.

I did not see any plays where the Steelers ran into a holder (which you almost never see at any level BTW). The Steelers had the only penalties that resulted in points which put the Cardinals in position to score on the next drive. They had a penalty before that that backed them up closer to the end zone before the holding that resulted in a safety in a personal foul. There were quite a few personal fouls by both teams and one was pretty stupid on a Steelers player, but the Cardinals did not convert. And no body told the Cardinals not to cover a receiver that made about 4 catches in the same drive and allow him an opportunity to win the game. Did the officials make the Cardinal DB fall so that the MVP could run 30-40 yards down field? Or did the officials tell their sideline player to run into a chasing player on the last play of the first half? And you really can make a case that the play calling by the Cardinals forgot about Fitzgerald until the game was almost over. What would have happen if they run plays to him most of the game?

When are you going to acknowledge those mistakes?

Quote:
If you think this game was officiated well and you dont agree, then you are just drinking the Mike P. kool aid, wake up and smell the coffee. The fans are the ones that pay the bills and as being a season ticket holder for 12 years I am entitled to my opinion.

PEACE
In any profession, the average person is not an expert one what it takes to be successful at that profession. And whether you like it or not, the fans are not going to ever dictate that. No one needs to drink anything, we have actually been in situations where we have had to make calls in a split second and there is not instant replay to back us up. And when you have been in those situations, you realize how hard it is to call a game with bigger, faster and stronger players. And it is amazing to me how many times these officials get plays right. The replay system backs up officials most of the time. And you for one did not even understand the idiosyncrasies of that system. And I do not care if you are a season ticket holder that is your problem. I am not a season ticket holder and would not be. If I was I would complain to the people I am wasting my money for, not people that do not run the organization and only know of things from a far. I can see you are not a very smart consumer.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also knew coming in to the game that Mcually's crew called the most penalties in the NFL this year and absolutely predicted prior to the game that this game would come down to a call. (Which is why I took the cards +7 and made an assload of money)
So what exactly are you trying to say? Are you saying that the crew cheated for the Steelers in this game and in Super Bowl XL? that's certainly how your comments here come across.

Oh, and what "call did the game come down to"?