The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Both plays, IMO, are PC. Based on the newspaper report, I went to the 4 letter to watch the end of game play. Thoughts on that - 1) I liked the call live, and wouldn't change it based on the replays that I saw. 2) How could Boeheim be doing anything but guessing based on his angle from the bench? He can disagree all he wants as long as .... He doesn't. Bye, bye. And he knew it. 3) I generally like ole Dickie V, but his on-air comments in this case are wrong. Bilas does a commendable job reining his partner in. Dickie V says the call ended the game. Bilas corrects him saying the Boeheim's response to the call actually did that.

The problem with points 2 & 3 are the trickle down effect of coaches and players actions in such situations. In no way does this call prevent the players from deciding the game's outcome.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I watched this game with a room full of duke haters.

I commented after the Parker block/and1 that I thought it was a poor call, clearly a PC. I also educated the room on Ayers' credentials and how much I respected him.

As soon as the last PC was called, while they were all going crazy and proclaiming how biased the calls are always at Cameron indoor, I was watching the replays and how the crew handled the rabies infected coach. I also thought they did a remarkable job handling him, the assistants, and the players. I also thought immediately, and after seeing all the replays, that it was a correct PC call.

Then DickieV started his rant, and of course everybody in the room started with the "let the players decide the game" nonsense, one of my pet peeves. Before bilas even said one word, I was trying to convey the same argument: no matter what the call is, running out onto the court like that will get you ejected just about anywhere and 4 free throws will definitely put you out of the game.

I live in Kentucky, they're all still butt hurt about Christian lakener (sp?) Hitting that one shot :P
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised at this one. The play at the end looks like an easy block to me under the new rule. I have a charge or maybe a no call in an NFHS game but this game has a different rule.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I watched this game with a room full of duke haters.

I commented after the Parker block/and1 that I thought it was a poor call, clearly a PC. I also educated the room on Ayers' credentials and how much I respected him.

As soon as the last PC was called, while they were all going crazy and proclaiming how biased the calls are always at Cameron indoor, I was watching the replays and how the crew handled the rabies infected coach. I also thought they did a remarkable job handling him, the assistants, and the players. I also thought immediately, and after seeing all the replays, that it was a correct PC call.

Then DickieV started his rant, and of course everybody in the room started with the "let the players decide the game" nonsense, one of my pet peeves. Before bilas even said one word, I was trying to convey the same argument: no matter what the call is, running out onto the court like that will get you ejected just about anywhere and 4 free throws will definitely put you out of the game.

I live in Kentucky, they're all still butt hurt about Christian lakener (sp?) Hitting that one shot :P
I like the way you threw the official under the bus!! You cannot educate a fan. They don't want to be educated!! If I were a basketball official I would not want to work with you. If you were as good as you think you are you would have been working instead of watching with a bunch of nim nod fans!
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
You are the final word on this board as to the block/charge, so am I being nitpicky with the slight hop toward the endline and toward the shooter after he gains LGP?

In APG's post look at :40 of the video. That's where I see LGP being established then there is a slight move toward the shooter. In the next replay from behind the basket you can also see the slight adjustment that looks like it is forward and slightly toward the endline.

I suppose I'm probably splitting hairs.
Moving forward does not remove LGP, unless such movement occurs at the time of contact.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:46am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I'm surprised at this one. The play at the end looks like an easy block to me under the new rule. I have a charge or maybe a no call in an NFHS game but this game has a different rule.
Sorry, have to disagree. No way it is a no call.

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 10:48am.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Bad call or not does not excuse Boheim's childish tantrum.

either way PC on both calls, but the NCAA-M new interp has really caused a stir.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

End of game B/C - Block, defender had no established LGP prior to the upward motion of the shooter. The L makes this call in rotation, the T was backing out.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
End of game B/C - Block, defender had no established LGP prior to the upward motion of the shooter. The L makes this call in rotation, the T was backing out.

I would suggest that you not come out of your van until you have learned the Guarding and Screen rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Bad call or not does not excuse Boheim's childish tantrum.

either way PC on both calls, but the NCAA-M new interp has really caused a stir.
Who cares about his behavior? No brainer. He wanted to get tossed. He gave the officials no choice.

It gave him a chance to call the assignor first

Our job is to penalize such behavior and the let the schools, league, NCAA handle the rest.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I would suggest that you not come out of your van until you have learned the Guarding and Screen rules.

MTD, Sr.
You might want to be familiar with the POE
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I see LGP before he even holds the ball, let alone starting his upward motion. It's a bit grainy for me, though, to know for sure, so I'll defer to the guy standing 5 feet away.

That said, either way, it's close enough that the coach shouldn't have anything more than a quick question afterwards.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 11:46am

Defender is there. Gathering and upward motion is not clear to me from any angle. Contact does not need to be center torso in any rule set. I stand by my earlier post, PC on both plays no matter old rule or new rule.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Support My Players, Even When They Do Something Wrong, Yay Ra Ra ...

Quote:
He wanted to get tossed.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 12:26pm.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:36pm
Administrator

Quote:

Everybody in this Forum will tell you that you do not want to get into a debate with me about Guarding and Screening (Block/Charge). As I said before, continue to study the rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio