The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He simply has no respect for how organizations are run and thinks it's his own little playground.
Not exactly unique.

Tony Timmons stated clearly that he would enforce each chapter's by-laws if the chapter itself refused to. That was a lie -- he did absolutely nothing in regards to a chapter where this was happening. I know nothing about what happened in Houston, but it sounds like he ignored it there as well.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not always.

In the case of the Houston UIL chapter they completely manipulated the schedule of those that they did not like. There was a group of us that sued the chapter because of a fraudulent "vote" that was pushed through by the current board to change from TASO to UIL. They did not follow Texas Law nor Robert's Rules of Order ... they simply did what they wanted to do because it was the president's agenda.

All of us that sued received schedules that were completely crap games -- places I hadn't worked in years!! It was clear the the president had decided to manipulate the assigning process to get some revenge. He also tried to tell officials assigning tournaments that they couldn't use certain people, which caused a huge uproar.

Keep in mind that those of us that sued were almost all college officials, some working at the Division I level, including myself. So, there was no issue based on "having what it takes" ... it was politics pure and simple.

It's interesting to me that the same guy is STILL president of the chapter, when his term and term limits have LONG expired. I can't understand why several hundred officials just stand there and let him get away with it.
you seem to think that you are entitled to games just because you have reached a certain level.

face it, when regimes change, so does the balance of power, whether it is officiating, business, or politics.

you think that you could remain neutral toward someone you do not care for? you would not take care of the people who supported you over the ones that didn't? btw you sued because you didn't get your way or felt you were not treated fairly, how did the lawsuit turn out? sounds like your group lost which indicates things were satisfactory in the eyes of the law

must be a very nice view from your tower
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Lots of words for someone who has no experience with the problem Welpe is referring to. Nice advice - become a leader in an organization ... problem is, the organization in question is run entirely by the good-ole-boy network. Merit or ability has nothing to do with it.
good ole boy network = i can't get ahead based on how good i think i am

the same principles apply to referees as they do to players, if they are good enough they will be identified.

sorry you are not getting the games you think you should be, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of sports officials that aren't getting the 1 BIG game had on any given night....STFU
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't put everyone who bugs me on my ignore list, but when I do, he's a real tool.
OMG, I made your ignore list.
BTW, you and I have met at a couple of camps. We seemed to get along fine and even had a pretty decent game.
Good luck to you
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
Hmmm, addressed everyone but my post, wonder why.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
STFU
Stay classy, San Diegeo.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:53am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Not exactly unique.

Tony Timmons stated clearly that he would enforce each chapter's by-laws if the chapter itself refused to. That was a lie -- he did absolutely nothing in regards to a chapter where this was happening. I know nothing about what happened in Houston, but it sounds like he ignored it there as well.
I was at the October 2009 meeting in Houston where Tony was spewing fire and brimstone. A few years later and it's a decidedly different tune.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 08:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

the same principles apply to referees as they do to players, if they are good enough they will be identified.

That's a funny statement. Usually made by a "good ole boy". Or just an a$$-clown.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Spoken like a good ole boy. This had nothing to do with whether I could get ahead or not, nor anything to do with my own talent level.

Quote:
If things were run right, you would be correct. That fact that what you say here is NOT the way things work is the problem.

Quote:
sorry you are not getting the games you think you should be, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of sports officials that aren't getting the 1 BIG game had on any given night....STFU
I stopped working here - not because of the games I got, but rather because I could no longer in good conscious support a group that was run so corruptly. When you show up week after week and work with officials that clearly have no idea what they are doing, but continue to get work because they were drinking buds with the scheduler or the nephew of the VP, or whatever - it grinds on you.

You make a lot of assumptions, and you clearly have no grasp of what the actual problems were (and still are).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
OMG, I made your ignore list.
BTW, you and I have met at a couple of camps. We seemed to get along fine and even had a pretty decent game.
Good luck to you
1. If this was true, I wouldn't be too surprised. People often have different personalities on line than in person.
2. You've got me curious, congratulations; but I'm 80% positive this isn't true. Maybe someone you met at camps is trying to claim my identity?
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. If this was true, I wouldn't be too surprised. People often have different personalities on line than in person.
2. You've got me curious, congratulations; but I'm 80% positive this isn't true. Maybe someone you met at camps is trying to claim my identity?
He claimed he knew me too. I would not be worried about it or even care. It is probably not true either way.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:05pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Why do people even try to stay anonymous on the forum (or anywhere else for that matter)? I think that if everyone had to put their real name next to their posts there would be a lot less trolling!

Besides that, even if you are using a different name, it's not all that hard to track down who someone really is if you have the right tools
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Why do people even try to stay anonymous on the forum (or anywhere else for that matter)? I think that if everyone had to put their real name next to their posts there would be a lot less trolling!

Besides that, even if you are using a different name, it's not all that hard to track down who someone really is if you have the right tools
+1

Peace
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's a funny statement. Usually made by a "good ole boy". Or just an a$$-clown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Spoken like a good ole boy. This had nothing to do with whether I could get ahead or not, nor anything to do with my own talent level.

If things were run right, you would be correct. That fact that what you say here is NOT the way things work is the problem.

I stopped working here - not because of the games I got, but rather because I could no longer in good conscious support a group that was run so corruptly. When you show up week after week and work with officials that clearly have no idea what they are doing, but continue to get work because they were drinking buds with the scheduler or the nephew of the VP, or whatever - it grinds on you.

You make a lot of assumptions, and you clearly have no grasp of what the actual problems were (and still are).
The fact is that there are good ole boy networks. They exist just about everywhere to some degree.

The fact is that many officials who think their schedule is poor because they are outside "the network" are simply not as good as they think they are.

The fact is that there are officials who others believe are "in the network" that they think are not as good as they are....and they may or may not be right.

Hiring/Assigning decisions are made base on many factors...not exclusively the ability to call the game. That's life. Not one of you would do it any different, no matter what you say. You can't. You're human. When given the choice between two people, your choice will ALWAYS be swayed by the secondary factors.....to a greater or lessor degree, of course, but you'll never eliminate it.

You simply have to establish the fact that not only are you capable of calling the game, but that you are also going to make life better for your assignor. Maybe those guys getting the assignments took a whole bunch of 5-grade girls games for that assignor year after year when the assignor was in a bind....they took care of the assignor. Now, the assignor takes care of them. The whole world of any competitive business is give and take and is a much larger picture than a single game or season. The influencing factors always extend way outside of the immediate task.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He claimed he knew me too. I would not be worried about it or even care. It is probably not true either way.

Peace
Yeah, 80% was generous. It's a lot closer to 100%.

I may not use my real name, but I'm far from anonymous.