The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Favoritism is destroying the integrity of the playoffs. This is not the first time.
Media image affects the way players are percieved.
Statisticaly, the leages "most dominating physical player", should usually lead in fouls and D.Q.'s as well. However, this has never happened.
"Trouble" players often receive penalties easier than others simply because "We all know how he is...".

IT IS TIME - PUBLISH NBA REFEREE STATISTICS!
These stats would easily point out any partiality, and would be of great help to officials trying to remain impartial in todays highly political game.

------------------
strive for awareness.
Old Mon May 22, 2000, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Are you serious? What do you base your opinion on? The whiners previously known as the heat?

If they ever published stats I would hang up the stripes.

I am sick and tired of people blaming the refs. It now has become and easy out for kids, because they hear the pros and their parents say it. If they lose by less than 5 points it was the refs fault. If they lose by 20 it was the refs fault. If one team has 3 more fouls than the other the fix must have been in.

How about it being their fault? The refs didn't miss the free throws, travel, throw the ball OOB, run the wrong play, brick the lay-up, clang the jumper, or let clarence witherspoon take the last shot. We just keep the peace. No one wants to admit the blame, so they dump it on the guys who can't and should not have to defend themselves.

There are times when we (other refs) are critical of our peers, but it is constructive and deals more in position and mechanics. If you're in position and apply the rules correctly, no one has the right to second guess your call. No one saw it better than you.

Old Tue May 23, 2000, 12:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

I see by your profile that you've never officiated any sport. Figures.
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Angry

My thoughts precisely, Mark. And no identifying information at all. Just someone trying to anonymously get in a cheap shot.
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Impart iality -

Criticize a ref for making a bad call --- don't criticize a ref for not being impartial. I think that accusation is ludicrous. Are you saying players, coaches fans are more impartial than the refs????? As a fan and former player and coach, I would say THE ONLY impartial people on the court are the refs!
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 11:40am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Impart iality -

Criticize a ref for making a bad call --- don't criticize a ref for not being impartial. I think that accusation is ludicrous. Are you saying players, coaches fans are more impartial than the refs????? As a fan and former player and coach, I would say THE ONLY impartial people on the court are the refs!

Of course we are. Years ago, when my son was in middle school and playing rec league, his coach was always on the refs. He yelled at them for favoring the other team, no matter who the refs were and no matter who the other team was. If you think about that, it is ludicrous and irrational. After one game, I spoke to him and explained that out of all the people in the gym, only the refs didn't care who won the game - the players cared, the coaches cared, the fans cared - even the scorekeepers (who are parents in that league) cared. If that was the case, how could they be biased?

He calmed down after that and about 4 years later I was working a rec tournament. He showed up to coach his daughter's team and he was a perfect gentleman the entire game. He asked one or two questions, but he did so in a professional manner and there were no problems whatsoever even though his team lost at the end on a tough charge/block call and subsequent free throws by the other team.

After the game, we chatted and he told me he never forgot our discussion and since then, he has a different perspective on the game. He thanked me for my comments and said he now doesn't tolerate any complaining to the refs by his players OR PARENTS!!!

It's things like this that make it worthwhile to be an official.

Old Tue Jun 06, 2000, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I really like that response to a coach, parent, or player who really gets upset. I have a few people I may talk to about this. (Obviously not while I am wearing the stripes).
Old Wed Jun 07, 2000, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I am all for stats..But as they are used today not stats on individual officals but
for crews in general no names involved this is how we improve i.e. if for the year officials within a state or conference
averaged 45 fouls called a game and 50%
were called by the lead 30% by the trail
and 20% by the center but 20% of the leads calls were in the Centers AOR we can conclude that our centers must take a more active roll...Or if the number unsporting T's are rising each year then maybe we ought to pass a rule to have officials talk about sportsmanship prior to each contest(sound familiar) Stats are already being used and used for some good but the way anon wants to use them is to justify his teams lose it couldn't possibly be the coach or players so someone has to be at fault....