The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Asa Politics

I'm sorry to say I'm not in the know on political issues.
1) I just heard that Commissioners set their own fees for Umpire registrations. If this is true why are there no firm rules from National on this issue.
2) How can I register with the cheapest Commissioner from anywhere & still get my National certification if I attend school.
3) Is there any truth to the matter of ASA setting a 6$ per child mandatory fee for providing asa insurance to all youth teams. I have the feeling this may be another local idea.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper
I'm sorry to say I'm not in the know on political issues.
1) I just heard that Commissioners set their own fees for Umpire registrations. If this is true why are there no firm rules from National on this issue.
Just how do you think state/metro associations operate? Where do you think the money comes from that allows "Host Exchange" umpire assignments? How do you think the associations pay for the training aids and equipment to display them? This part is not political, but part of doing business.

Quote:
2) How can I register with the cheapest Commissioner from anywhere & still get my National certification if I attend school.
An umpire must register with the local association where the umpire lives or works.

Quote:
3) Is there any truth to the matter of ASA setting a 6$ per child mandatory fee for providing asa insurance to all youth teams. I have the feeling this may be another local idea.
ASA Individual Registration Program provides a certain level of insurance with the registration. The player has the option of paying for additional insurance. However, it should be said that no where in the ASA Code does it require players/teams/coaches to purchase their insurance through ASA.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

You do have the option to register in an adjacent association if you live near the border, and umpire regularly there. But, why would you think you would benefit to simply register with ASA in an area where you don't umpire? That remote area won't be beneficial to you; you may be required to attend clinics or meetings there, they won't see you work, so won't assign you anywhere.

And your local area would wonder why it should assign you; you didn't register there, aren't participating in their clinics or meetings, etc. Seems to me that shopping for the best price is shortsighted; accept that there are costs of doing business in your area, just as in other areas.

On the issue of JO player registration, it is the goal of ASA to assure that all players are protected with accidental medical coverage while participating in ASA softball. That is hardly unique; nor is ASA the first. I am aware of several other sports whose associations have mandated specific insurance as part of registration (soccer, Pop Warner football, and on). If a local association requires individual registration for JO travel teams, then I guess you could say they are mandating insurance coverage.

In our state (Georgia), we do now mandate individual registration for youth travel teams, so that no child slips through the cracks. We believe in the national initiative as being what is best for our travel teams. We do not mandate individual registration for rec programs; the parks and rec agencies that run those programs typically provide an umbrella policy to protect those players. At the same time, the other sports that I referenced do still require insurance; which amounts to double (or even triple) insuring the same children for the same risks.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I do not doubt that Regional ASA brass have expenses such as training aids, or paying clinicians for schools. However there is a fee to attend those schools. Rule books cost money to print-given. I can understand why there is a registration fee. However when it goes from 30$ to 40$ one wonders just whos pocket I am greasing. How much goes to National & how much gets skimmed off the top. On top of that teams get sanctioning fees. Then they start talking about making it mandatory that for every youth team, each kid gets a mandatory 6$ insurance charge..even when the Family is already covered by the Parents insurance, and on top of that many County programs cover the participant there also.
It just feels like there's a hand in the cookie jar.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, my friend, you are pi$$ing up a rope. At $30, you were underpriced; we pay more here than the $40 you are concerned about.

Teams that individually register do NOT also pay a separate sanction fee; if you were told that, whomever told you is mistaken. Sure, some families have insurance; but some have high deductibles, and some have no insurance. And you are concerned about $6 per child? To be sure everyone is properly protected? When travel teams regularly have $20,000 or more as a budget?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Who really gives a crap.

Pay your $30-40, get your 2K with of assignments and say "sweet!"
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Who really gives a crap.

Pay your $30-40, get your 2K with of assignments and say "sweet!"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxactly.........
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper
I do not doubt that Regional ASA brass have expenses such as training aids, or paying clinicians for schools. However there is a fee to attend those schools. Rule books cost money to print-given. I can understand why there is a registration fee. However when it goes from 30$ to 40$ one wonders just whos pocket I am greasing. How much goes to National & how much gets skimmed off the top. On top of that teams get sanctioning fees. Then they start talking about making it mandatory that for every youth team, each kid gets a mandatory 6$ insurance charge..even when the Family is already covered by the Parents insurance, and on top of that many County programs cover the participant there also.
It just feels like there's a hand in the cookie jar.
May I also point out that state and metros also pay a hefty membership fee to their region and national associations. Soon to come will probably be an additional fee to a "territory council".
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Wow... and I thought we had it good here in Seattle...

$20 to the local ump association
$40 to ASA
$40 to WIAA (NFHS)
$100 total annual dues costs

And in 2006 I made over $6000.

I think 1.7% for dues is justified. Heck, that's only 2 HS-V games at $50/game.