The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Why do people even try to stay anonymous on the forum (or anywhere else for that matter)? I think that if everyone had to put their real name next to their posts there would be a lot less trolling!

Besides that, even if you are using a different name, it's not all that hard to track down who someone really is if you have the right tools
Some of us have assignors, supervisors, etc. who do not really wish us to be on forums like this. Mainly at the college/pro level, I'm sure.

While you can tell who we are (if we have multiple accounts), they can't.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The fact is that there are good ole boy networks. They exist just about everywhere to some degree.

The fact is that many officials who think their schedule is poor because they are outside "the network" are simply not as good as they think they are.

The fact is that there are officials who others believe are "in the network" that they think are not as good as they are....and they may or may not be right.

Hiring/Assigning decisions are made base on many factors...not exclusively the ability to call the game. That's life. Not one of you would do it any different, no matter what you say. You can't. You're human. When given the choice between two people, your choice will ALWAYS be swayed by the secondary factors.....to a greater or lessor degree, of course, but you'll never eliminate it.

You simply have to establish the fact that not only are you capable of calling the game, but that you are also going to make life better for your assignor. Maybe those guys getting the assignments took a whole bunch of 5-grade girls games for that assignor year after year when the assignor was in a bind....they took care of the assignor. Now, the assignor takes care of them. The whole world of any competitive business is give and take and is a much larger picture than a single game or season. The influencing factors always extend way outside of the immediate task.
I also think a lot of the reason guys never advance or advance the way they want to is they do not learn their system. We have a lot of people in my area that think they are going to work varsity for everyone if they work for one guy. First of all that almost never automatically happens and you have to be seen by each person at their camp or at a game. We do not have a lot of guys that assign other levels and if they assign summer ball that is just to cover those games, not to evaluate the ability of the officials that show up (and it is not like they will be there). I think we need to do less complaining and more learning in many areas and we will be better for that knowledge.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I also think a lot of the reason guys never advance or advance the way they want to is they do not learn their system. We have a lot of people in my area that think they are going to work varsity for everyone if they work for one guy. First of all that almost never automatically happens and you have to be seen by each person at their camp or at a game. We do not have a lot of guys that assign other levels and if they assign summer ball that is just to cover those games, not to evaluate the ability of the officials that show up (and it is not like they will be there). I think we need to do less complaining and more learning in many areas and we will be better for that knowledge.

Peace
The other thing about our system is that you can't sit home and wait for assignors to call. You have to be willing to send emails and call, where appropriate, and figure out how to market yourself. It could be going to the right camp. It could be sending along a list of closed dates and helping out the assignor, etc.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
The other thing about our system is that you can't sit home and wait for assignors to call. You have to be willing to send emails and call, where appropriate, and figure out how to market yourself. It could be going to the right camp. It could be sending along a list of closed dates and helping out the assignor, etc.
And do not show up at the doorstep or workplace of your assignor either.

Yes that did happen recently happen with a couple of people. SMDH!!!

Peace
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And do not show up at the doorstep or workplace of your assignor either.

Yes that did happen recently happen with a couple of people. SMDH!!!

Peace
I'll take "Fastest Ways to Retire From Officiating" for $500.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe someone you met at camps is trying to claim my identity?
Sometimes I dream, that he is me... Like Snaqs, if I could be like Snaqs

Quote:
I also think a lot of the reason guys never advance or advance the way they want to is they do not learn their system.
+1

Tough to be successful at playing the "game" when you dont know the rules of the game.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dr. Frank N. Furter, I Presume ...

Quote:
Some of us have assignors, supervisors, etc. who do not really wish us to be on forums like this.
That's my local board. We are not discouraged from participating, but we are discouraged from using our real names, or local affiliation. That's why, while most of you know me a BillyMac, an environmental chemical analyst from a little corner in Connecticut,when in reality, I'm just a sweet transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 06:00am.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The fact is that there are good ole boy networks. They exist just about everywhere to some degree.

The fact is that many officials who think their schedule is poor because they are outside "the network" are simply not as good as they think they are.

The fact is that there are officials who others believe are "in the network" that they think are not as good as they are....and they may or may not be right.
And we all know good and well that it is also a fact that there are very talented officials who get screwed by the system in their area because they don't fit into the "network"...you have seen it in Portland. I know several very good officials that could never get on your assignor's "network".
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:40pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Some of us have assignors, supervisors, etc. who do not really wish us to be on forums like this. Mainly at the college/pro level, I'm sure.

While you can tell who we are (if we have multiple accounts), they can't.
I understand that ... and as long as you are talking rules, play situations, etc. then I get it. However, some use their anonymity to say things they never would if their real name was attached to their comments... it's those people that I think are fooling themselves. You're not nearly as anonymous as you think!
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 11:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I understand that ... and as long as you are talking rules, play situations, etc. then I get it. However, some use their anonymity to say things they never would if their real name was attached to their comments... it's those people that I think are fooling themselves. You're not nearly as anonymous as you think!
I would be happy to tell people I trusted who I am. A few people here who have disagreed with me actually know me from other places, and probably don't even know it. But I'm on a couple of college staffs in multiple sports and I was told to make sure I'm anonymous online or not online at all. I get it, but this is a wonderful resource and I have learned a lot online and I'd rather be anonymous and still participate than disappear entirely.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And we all know good and well that it is also a fact that there are very talented officials who get screwed by the system in their area because they don't fit into the "network"...you have seen it in Portland. I know several very good officials that could never get on your assignor's "network".
In time, most every good official I know of has made it here...I can't think of anyone who has been shortchanged. I know of some that feel they've been shortchanged, but their opinion is biased. They don't get there as fast as they want. Too many want immediate reward.

Our assignor generally chooses to be slow bringing people up, and slow moving people out. More often than not, the people that get most frustrated want it all today and don't want to pay their dues like all those before them had to do. Those that stick around, and truly are good enough, get there.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 02:21am.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Is there not always officials that a very good that do not get a shot somewhere? Does that not come with the territory? I know tonight there is someone complaining that some player that was drafted was not as good as some guy they played with or against at some point. That does not mean the "network" was the reason they did not come get their shot. I know being involved in some associations and camps that many of the things that hold people back or never get the shot they think they deserve is often because of something they do off the court than on the court.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Is there not always officials that a very good that do not get a shot somewhere? Does that not come with the territory? I know tonight there is someone complaining that some player that was drafted was not as good as some guy they played with or against at some point. That does not mean the "network" was the reason they did not come get their shot. I know being involved in some associations and camps that many of the things that hold people back or never get the shot they think they deserve is often because of something they do off the court than on the court.

Peace
Yep, you're right. And sometimes life just isn't fair.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 08:10am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I'd rather be anonymous and still participate than disappear entirely.
We'd rather that too
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Peace
All true...but again, there are good/great officials who are passed over because they don't fit in with the "network", and you know it. Just like Camron knows it. And I am not talking about myself - there is no whining here on my part...but I have seen instances both here and across the river - whether Camron wants to admit it or not - where awesome officials were passed over because they didn't drink at the "right" establishment with the "right" people. It happens, we all know it.

For those who have "made it" to now say things like "well it must be something he/she did off the court" or "they just aren't ready" is simply adding themselves to the "network".