View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
good ole boy network = i can't get ahead based on how good i think i am

the same principles apply to referees as they do to players, if they are good enough they will be identified.

sorry you are not getting the games you think you should be, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of sports officials that aren't getting the 1 BIG game had on any given night....STFU
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's a funny statement. Usually made by a "good ole boy". Or just an a$$-clown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Spoken like a good ole boy. This had nothing to do with whether I could get ahead or not, nor anything to do with my own talent level.

If things were run right, you would be correct. That fact that what you say here is NOT the way things work is the problem.

I stopped working here - not because of the games I got, but rather because I could no longer in good conscious support a group that was run so corruptly. When you show up week after week and work with officials that clearly have no idea what they are doing, but continue to get work because they were drinking buds with the scheduler or the nephew of the VP, or whatever - it grinds on you.

You make a lot of assumptions, and you clearly have no grasp of what the actual problems were (and still are).
The fact is that there are good ole boy networks. They exist just about everywhere to some degree.

The fact is that many officials who think their schedule is poor because they are outside "the network" are simply not as good as they think they are.

The fact is that there are officials who others believe are "in the network" that they think are not as good as they are....and they may or may not be right.

Hiring/Assigning decisions are made base on many factors...not exclusively the ability to call the game. That's life. Not one of you would do it any different, no matter what you say. You can't. You're human. When given the choice between two people, your choice will ALWAYS be swayed by the secondary factors.....to a greater or lessor degree, of course, but you'll never eliminate it.

You simply have to establish the fact that not only are you capable of calling the game, but that you are also going to make life better for your assignor. Maybe those guys getting the assignments took a whole bunch of 5-grade girls games for that assignor year after year when the assignor was in a bind....they took care of the assignor. Now, the assignor takes care of them. The whole world of any competitive business is give and take and is a much larger picture than a single game or season. The influencing factors always extend way outside of the immediate task.