LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Minimal contact, looks more like a dive to me. Definate "NO CALL" IMHO
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo2526 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about @ the beginning as well as how you could say this was a charge?

Maybe you were joking, no idea

Tebo:

There was a charge at the very beginning of the video. I only watched the charge at the beginning of the video and never watched the complete video until later. I thought the thread was about the first charge, not the block/charge play at the end of the video. And yes the charge at the beginning of the video was a charge.

You are much to young to getting senile like me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:12pm
M.A.S.H.

I think they play in question is in the paint.

I have nothing...play on.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Agreed in full.

Now, In our state a common mantra of the State supervisors is "there has to be a whistle EVERY time bodies hit the floor". What is the right thing to do when the B1 anticipates contact, A1 pulls up and shoots staying within his verticality but B1 being barely touched, falls to the floor? Compounded by A1 missing the shot and you now have rebounding action with a player on the floor endangering himself and others?
Cow patties.

What you should know is, when any player hit the floor, how they got there.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Agreed in full.

Now, In our state a common mantra of the State supervisors is "there has to be a whistle EVERY time bodies hit the floor". What is the right thing to do when the B1 anticipates contact, A1 pulls up and shoots staying within his verticality but B1 being barely touched, falls to the floor? Compounded by A1 missing the shot and you now have rebounding action with a player on the floor endangering himself and others?
It's been my experience the player that flops usually penalizes himself by being unable to compete for a rebound or remain useful in the play. There have been occasions in which the player on the floor gets tangled up in the feet of an opposing player either with or without the ball and puts the opposing player at a clear disadvantage. In those cases I'll whistle the player on the ground for a common foul, with my rational being they can't have a legal guarding or rebounding position while on the floor, and it's their own damn fault for being there.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
It's been my experience the player that flops usually penalizes himself by being unable to compete for a rebound or remain useful in the play. There have been occasions in which the player on the floor gets tangled up in the feet of an opposing player either with or without the ball and puts the opposing player at a clear disadvantage. In those cases I'll whistle the player on the ground for a common foul, with my rational being they can't have a legal guarding or rebounding position while on the floor, and it's their own damn fault for being there.
If he got there legally, by anticipating/bracing for contact and falling in the process, and he's not moving (and thus does not require LGP) when the feet get tangled; what has he done wrong to warrant a foul?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If he got there legally, by anticipating/bracing for contact and falling in the process, and he's not moving (and thus does not require LGP) when the feet get tangled; what has he done wrong to warrant a foul?
Nothing, and that's a completely different situation than what we are talking about. We are talking about players that flop trying to draw a whistle.

If a player anticipates and braces for impact and goes to the floor legitimately as a result of the contact we have a charge, no?

From the angle we had on that video the defensive player clearly went down on his own. Had he gotten tangled up with the offensive player while still in possession of the ball, a cutting player after a pass, or a rebounder after a try I would not have hesitated in calling a personal foul on him while on the ground.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nothing, and that's a completely different situation than what we are talking about. We are talking about players that flop trying to draw a whistle.

If a player anticipates and braces for impact and goes to the floor legitimately as a result of the contact we have a charge, no?

From the angle we had on that video the defensive player clearly went down on his own. Had he gotten tangled up with the offensive player while still in possession of the ball, a cutting player after a pass, or a rebounder after a try I would not have hesitated in calling a personal foul on him while on the ground.
Players often start falling backwards to brace for contact, and in the process cause their own fall. Just because a player was falling without contact does not mean he is faking being fouled. That's my point.

The play I normally see:

A1 approaches B1 in transition. B1 has established LGP, and leans backwards as he expects contact. A1 pulls up, lightly brushing B1's shoulder. B1 hits the floor because he lost his own balance rather than because of A1's contact. B1 would have drawn the charge had he stayed in position, but his preemptive action prevents illegal contact.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Players often start falling backwards to brace for contact, and in the process cause their own fall. Just because a player was falling without contact does not mean he is faking being fouled. That's my point.

The play I normally see:

A1 approaches B1 in transition. B1 has established LGP, and leans backwards as he expects contact. A1 pulls up, lightly brushing B1's shoulder. B1 hits the floor because he lost his own balance rather than because of A1's contact. B1 would have drawn the charge had he stayed in position, but his preemptive action prevents illegal contact.
I guess in that situation it would be play on.

That said lets say player A's shot is short his rebound comes right back to him with player B still directly between him and the bucket. A1 tries to drive to the basket (or makes another attempt at goal) around B1 and contact ensues that puts A1 at a disadvantage. At that point I would argue you have a foul on B1 as both team and player control ends at the try and the player on the floor did not re-establish a LGP.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 11:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I guess in that situation it would be play on.

That said lets say player A's shot is short his rebound comes right back to him with player B still directly between him and the bucket. A1 tries to drive to the basket (or makes another attempt at goal) around B1 and contact ensues that puts A1 at a disadvantage. At that point I would argue you have a foul on B1 as both team and player control ends at the try and the player on the floor did not re-establish a LGP.
If B1 isn't moving, he doesn't need LGP.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If B1 isn't moving, he doesn't need LGP.
Define moving.... we talking about planking here?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Define moving.... we talking about planking here?
Changing positions in relation to the floor. Rolling, trying to get up, stretching out the arms or legs, etc.

What Do You Have

Last edited by Adam; Wed Feb 01, 2012 at 12:08pm.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Changing positions in relation to the floor. Rolling, trying to get up, stretching out the arms or legs, etc.

What Do You Have
Intereresting the difference between NCAA and NHSF here, thanks for pointing that out.

In the situation on the video I'd have a foul under both NCAA (which I do tiny bit of JV stuff) and HS as I don't think the defender was motionless.

In the rare instance in which a player on the floor was perfectly motionless I'd agree with you that there is no foul, but I'll ask again are we talking about planking here (lying on the floor rigidly with your arms and hands straight at your sides)? I find it hard to imagine a situation in which there was truly no movement by a player lying on the floor. If said player is lying on his/her back on the floor and raises his/her arms verticly to protect him/herself isn't that considered movement? How is that different than a player standing verticly that extends his/her amrs horizontally and creates contact as a player drives by him/her.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
for nfhs, if b1 isn't moving, he doesn't need lgp.
ftfy.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Intereresting the difference between NCAA and NHSF here, thanks for pointing that out.

In the situation on the video I'd have a foul under both NCAA (which I do tiny bit of JV stuff) and HS as I don't think the defender was motionless.

In the rare instance in which a player on the floor was perfectly motionless I'd agree with you that there is no foul, but I'll ask again are we talking about planking here (lying on the floor rigidly with your arms and hands straight at your sides)? I find it hard to imagine a situation in which there was truly no movement by a player lying on the floor. If said player is lying on his/her back on the floor and raises his/her arms verticly to protect him/herself isn't that considered movement? How is that different than a player standing verticly that extends his/her amrs horizontally and creates contact as a player drives by him/her.
I agree with your take on the video. B1 undercuts A1. That said, I'm not going to ask a player to stop breathing to avoid a foul. Essentially, he gets the same movements we'd allow a player on the court without LGP. Entitled to his spot on the playing court, as long as he doesn't do anything to change or extend that spot, he's legal.