The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Charge

Had this in a game. I am almost positive this is a charge, I just wanted to check. Hometeam scores the basket and puts on the press. Away team in an attempt to break the press throws the ball long. Home team has a player in the deadcenter of the court, right in the middle of the tip off circle,he is stationary both feet planted and not moving. The away player leaps for the ball still the back court grabs has complete controlof it and while still in the air plows over the home teams defensive player in the middle. Whistle, and player control foul is my call. Away coach goes crazy claiming that he still had backcourt position, that things in the air were not the same as on the floor ect anything he could think of. I told the coach that the hometeam player had legal gaurding position and that yes he was right his player still had an established back court position when I blew the whistle but that did not matter because he was still responsible for his positioning when in the air, I tried to explain to him the idea of a vertical plane but he did not understand so I let him get in his last word gave him the stop sign and walked away. Do you guys call that a charge, and how do you explain that to a coach?
What if the away player leaps and losses control of it and hits the hometeam defender?
thanks
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 01:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Easy call. Stop the coach early and walk away. Once the coach mentions backcourt vs frontcourt position, it's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about. If I don't walk away from a situation like that, he's getting a T before it's done; and I'll have baited him into it with something like, "Coach, you're not making any sense. You wanna try this again?"
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

As long as the defender took that position on the court BEFORE the offensive player jumped into the air, this is a charging foul. (It is also a PC because the player had the ball at the time of the contact.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
and that yes he was right his player still had an established back court position when I blew the whistle
This got me thinking, which is always dangerous, about player location.

When an airborne player jumps from a location whether it be inbounds, out of bounds, backcourt, frontcourt, inside/outside the 3pt line, FT lane, etc., if that player comes down on another player (opponent or teammate) WITHOUT committing a foul and WITHOUT touching the floor, does this player still retain the status of his last floor location?
It seems odd, but the rules seem to support this.

Test play:
So a player with the ball who is standing in his frontcourt falls over backwards and lands on his butt, with feet up in the air, on top of his already prone teammate who is lying in his backcourt. He maintains possession of the ball the entire time and never touches the floor in the backcourt only his teammate's body. Anyone have a bc violation?
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 10:01am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Test play:
So a player with the ball who is standing in his frontcourt falls over backwards and lands on his butt, with feet up in the air, on top of his already prone teammate who is lying in his backcourt. He maintains possession of the ball the entire time and never touches the floor in the backcourt only his teammate's body. Anyone have a bc violation?
Uhmmm...I think I'm going to have a travel call if he falls over and both feet go up in the air. Wouldn't you?
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Uhmmm...I think I'm going to have a travel call if he falls over and both feet go up in the air. Wouldn't you?
Not unless something other than a hand or foot touches the floor?
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why? He didn't fall to the floor. He never touches the floor.