The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Charge, After Charge, After Charge

In a boys game last night, I personally had 7 PC fouls, plus 2 team-control's after a pass off. My partners together had 6 PC fouls and we only had 1 block on a crash.

Total offensive foul count = 15 for the Boys game.

Needless to say it was the most I have ever had, or seen, in a game.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

RA coming to a HS near you by 2017... if this 2012 thing doesnt pop off
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
RA coming to a HS near you by 2017... if this 2012 thing doesnt pop off
You know what, thats a good point. Even under NCAA rules we would have still had 15 though. Not one was in the RA that I can recall, but having 15 I am liable to foget one or two.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:35am
Archaic Power Monger

Good defense, poor offense or a combination of both?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:43am
I miss being on the floor

Man, maybe it's just me improving, but I've already called probably 15 PC fouls this year. I think I'm doing a better job of seeing how the defense got there.

Someone told me something that a former NBA ref told him: 90% of all block/charge contact plays should be offensive fouls. Agree or disagree?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Someone told me something that a former NBA ref told him: 90% of all block/charge contact plays should be offensive fouls. Agree or disagree?
Either somebody took something out of context or that's why he's a former NBA ref.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Man, maybe it's just me improving, but I've already called probably 15 PC fouls this year. I think I'm doing a better job of seeing how the defense got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Either somebody took something out of context or that's why he's a former NBA ref.
Actually that person really said 9 out of 10 (which is 90% percent) we should call PC fouls and we would be right.

Obviously I agree as I call a lot of PC fouls long before I ever heard that comment from a person that is in my Association's Hall of Fame and is a former NBA Official. Then again I think we penalize defense too much for things they do not do illegally. It really drives me crazy when people justify fouls on the defense because they lean back too far or they are not vertical.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think I call more PC fouls than most partners I have. It seems like a lot of guys penalize the defense at times simply because the contact looks bad.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It really drives me crazy when people justify fouls on the defense because they lean back too far or they are not vertical.
Same here. I got into a...passionate...discussion with a friend of mine over this after I had called a PC foul in game. He said he might not have called it because the defender had flopped because he fell back early to absorb to contact and that he might have even called a block.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure I agree with JRut

I believe I see too many fouls on the offense, when defense gets there too late (imo), toe taps in front of an offensive player and takes it in the chest. I believe it hurts the game of basketball. I'm aware many will disagree, but the offensive player should have a reasonable chance to change direction, and I don't see that happening on some of these calls. You can debate just exactly what is "reasonable".
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I believe I see too many fouls on the offense, when defense gets there too late (imo), toe taps in front of an offensive player and takes it in the chest. I believe it hurts the game of basketball. I'm aware many will disagree, but the offensive player should have a reasonable chance to change direction, and I don't see that happening on some of these calls. You can debate just exactly what is "reasonable".
Here is the problem with your position, it is not supported by any rule. The rules on LGP said there is no time and distance as long as they have established LGP and maintain contact and they can move. If the offense cannot avoid the contact, the defense is not responsible. I will never call it the way you say unless they change the rule. And I doubt they will change the rule in this case. But this is the reason we have a lot of inconsistency in this application. Actually these calls are very easy if you referee the defense. But defense should be allowed to play the game too.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Define "too late." By rule, that means "unable to establish or maintain legal guarding position." I have no clue what you mean "toe taps."

The offensive player should be allowed to change direction -- are you saying that the defensive player shouldn't be allowed to do so as well in order to play defense?

I'm with the rest of the officials here -- I call a lot of player control fouls.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're saying "what it SHOULD BE" -- well, you're entitled to your opinion.

If you're giving your interpretation of "what it IS" -- well, you're wrong. Almost all of what you say is contrary to the current rules.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

IDK, the defense is illegal most times in my games.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How do you define "too late" and what do you mean by "toe taps?" It's pretty tough to take it in the torso if the defender gets there too late.